Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates Fire Pitching Coach Andrews
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 am 

From the PPG:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08273/916024-100.stm

Good move here. Andrews talked a good game but clearly failed to get the job done.

Post subject: Re: Pirates Fire Pitching Coach Andrews
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:21 pm 

I must respectfully disagree. Andrews is no the guy who walked 657 batters this year. That said, he is the guy who will take the fall ableit unfairly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:36 pm 

1b coach Frazier got the axe too. He was also the outfield instructor. Given the fact that everyone raved about how McLouth's defense improved, that's a surprise. I don't get these firings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm 

Frazier to me is a questionmark indeed, but firing andrews is the only thing they can do..

He made the pitching worse.. sorry.. but that's liefe.. u get rewarded by result..
firing Russel would have made sense to me too.. that just did not happen

CHEERIO

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:28 pm 

Wow! ANy names out there?

I nominate God- I mean Bob Walk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:41 pm 

They were scapegoats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:02 pm 

Perhaps Andrews is actually a good pitching coach, but the fact is the pitching was abysmal under his watch.

Many of the pitchers will also be fired, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:30 pm 

I think the problem with Frazier was he was getting too many guys thrown out at first. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I think the problem with Frazier was he was getting too many guys thrown out at first. :D

Yer killing me.

You should put in a cover charge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:29 pm 

You're right that neither played a single inning. But let us remember accountability. Both had production problems. Pitching was his responsibility and outfielders were positioned poorly sometimes. They were too shallow in opposite fields to make resonable plays of deeper fly balls. Yea the players play, but the coaches need to be held accountable too. As stated above many pitchers will be fired too this next spring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:35 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I must respectfully disagree. Andrews is no the guy who walked 657 batters this year. That said, he is the guy who will take the fall ableit unfairly.

Unfairly?

This was the worst performance by a Pirates pitching staff since WWII. But I guess it was suppossed to be forgiven since the pitching staff went from God awful to just terrible from the first half to the second half.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:01 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Unfairly?

This was the worst performance by a Pirates pitching staff since WWII. But I guess it was suppossed to be forgiven since the pitching staff went from God awful to just terrible from the first half to the second half.

You have a short memory. This 2008 pitching staff gave up 884 runs. The 2000 Pirates pitching staff gave up 888 runs. I realize that you probably didn't know the numbers, but if you've been paying attention for the past 8 years, you would not have had to harken back to the Pirates teams of the 1940's, of which I'm sure you know nothing about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Today's PPG indicates that the PBC really wants a couple guys they originally approached last year, and who didn't come on board.

Rick Peterson is one, and the former Florida Marlins INF coach and 1b coach who turned them down last year to take a year off.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:58 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Unfairly?

You have a short memory. This 2008 pitching staff gave up 884 runs. The 2000 Pirates pitching staff gave up 888 runs. I realize that you probably didn't know the numbers, but if you've been paying attention for the past 8 years, you would not have had to harken back to the Pirates teams of the 1940's, of which I'm sure you know nothing about.

man!! i often do disagree with jeremy.. i do.. but not on this one

BUT HOW CAN YOU DEFEND THIS PITCHING?? it was truly pathetic
and there were some fluke incidents that proved these pitchers can do better, so that means they all were
instructed the wrong way...

how can it be that a talent like DUke is so quickly a no-name and stayed worse
how come gorzo was horrible
how come Snell was horrible
how come even Grabow dissapointed me.. i do not want to compare his stats.. but i expected better
how come all the talent is doing totally nothing.. maybe littlefield was bad, but still they drafts werent such bull players

and there are plenty more how's on this pitching...

accountability was not there.. andrews failed big time

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:30 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Unfairly?

man!! i often do disagree with jeremy.. i do.. but not on this one

BUT HOW CAN YOU DEFEND THIS PITCHING?? it was truly pathetic
and there were some fluke incidents that proved these pitchers can do better, so that means they all were
instructed the wrong way...

how can it be that a talent like DUke is so quickly a no-name and stayed worse

You chose a bad example there. Duke's ERA improved under Andrews.

Quote:
how come gorzo was horrible

My guess is because he was hurt. You're saying it was because of Andrews. Exactly what did Andrews do to ruin Gorzelanny?

Quote:
how come Snell was horrible

My guess is because he was hurt. You're saying it was because of Andrews. Exactly what did Andrews do to take 3-5 mph off of Snell's fastball before his stint on the DL, and what did he do to get it back afterwards?

Quote:
how come even Grabow dissapointed me..

My guess is because you expected way too much.

Quote:
i do not want to compare his stats..

I'll bet you don't, as they show that he had the fourth best ERA among NL left handed relievers, and that he had the best year of his career BY FAR. So comparing his stats works against your argument and makes you look rather ridiculous.

Quote:
how come all the talent is doing totally nothing.. maybe littlefield was bad, but still they drafts werent such bull players

All WHAT talent?

Quote:
and there are plenty more how's on this pitching...

accountability was not there.. andrews failed big time

...only you can't point out how, can you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:32 pm 
I wasn't a fan of the Andrews hiring from the beginning. This is for the best, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:56 pm 

Once everyone realizes that Andrews was actually an interim guy until NH's guy(Rick Peterson) would come available, the better.

Thats just how I see this situation. Maybe a little underhanded and ruthless, but we need a little ruthless right now.