Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on today's PPG
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:43 pm 

The PPG reports that the Bucs will shop for a power bat, a starting pitcher and a right-handed reliever (in that order of importance). I assume that is in keeping with the bigger priority of building organization-wide depth, not a Burnitz/Randa panic move, so these would not be one-year type players.

I am interested in opinions as to whether this is a deviation of the stated plan, is it a commitment to follow through with upgrading payroll and talent or is it a panic move?

Also, who knows where to find the list of potential free-agents and what names jump out as fitting the catagories.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on today's PPG
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:54 pm 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2 ... ree-a.html

I found this...It has a list of potential free agents...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:01 pm 

I guess it depends on what the Pirates are looking for on the market...Are they looking for a starting player with power?

Right now I dont think there's anything wrong with bringing in some more pitching as long as they are not washed up and worthless...

I think it depends if they are looking at a one year rental or sign someone to a 3 or 4 year deal...

I think right now, they need an extra OFer with Moss having surgery and Pearce and Morgan's inexperience...plus you dont know if Michaels is going to come back...

So I think its just a way to fill a spot until some guys in the organization prove themselves ready...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:52 pm 

Look's to me like they're going to try to find a couple players for the year. I imagine that they are trying to sell some tickets for next season by being somewhat competitive. They aren't going to spend a fortune now on FAs so it must be a put butts in the seats deal.

They want the fans to know that they don't want to be embarrassed next year. They know that they don't have enough young guys and most of the best aren't going to be ready next season. They need temporary help to get over their development issues.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:43 pm 

DK's calculations suggest that with arbitration raises, etc, the payroll already committed is about $40 mil. NH has said it will go above $54 if they have something worth spending it on. Let's stick with $55 mil as a figure to work with, then.

If we don't trade Jack and/or Freddy, that gives us roughly $15 mil. Unfortunately, that won't get us much. Obviously, in regards to SP, Sabathia, Sheets, and Harden are all out of that price range. In fact, even guys like Derek Lowe might be getting more than $15/year. That implies that any SP brought in is not going to be a top-of-the-rotation guy.

You may be able to get a reasonable power bat for that price. Again, probably not a Texiera, but maybe a reasonable outfield option. That would make for quite a crowded outfield picture when McCutch is ready. Maybe he makes a run at someone like Orlando Hudson after trading Freddy? Or Furcal after trading Jack?

But of course, if Freddy and Jack are traded, all of this math goes out the window.

However, short of acquiring Tex and Sabathia, certain members here are going to be upset.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:10 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I wouldn't mind seeing Oliver Perez make a return to Pittsburgh...I don't know if he would though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:11 am 

Ollie is intriguing and he might be the best buy considering the potential. But he hardly fits the mold of being a stabilizer for this staff. I don't really see a good candidate that fits the description.

I don't know if I would agree with bringing another starting OF in to the mix, even if Moss is going to be slow to come back. We have to bring McCutcheon up next year....there is nothing more to gain at AAA and he needs to adjust to the league next year if he is to be any kind of impact player in 2010.

In my mind that leaves corner infielders and I have trouble envisioning that either. Getting rid of the only real power bat we have (Adam LaRoche)to bring in someone who would maybe add 5 more HR and 20 RBI doesn't seem to make sense and if it's 3rd base, we have already given up on Andy, which I would doubt management is ready to admit. The ONLY real scenario I can see is trading Freddie, moving Andy to 2nd and bringing in a stop-gap (Blaylock?) to play 3rd.

Oh, and IF we move Sanchez, we HAVE to keep Wilson, don't we??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:42 am 

I wonder if NH will make a play for former Indian Casey Blake? Good insurance for LaRoche at third, plus gives you a RH power bat for RF. If we trade Jack, which I think will happen, we could have up to $20 million to spend?! I wonder what NH's philosophy is on 20% of your payroll going to one player?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:36 am 

I think acquiring Ollie Perez would be a gigantic step backward. His ceiling is his 2007 season, which was very good, but his basement is disastrous and would seriously set the Pirates back, especially with the $7 million plus they'll have to commit to him (probably closer to $10 mil). We don't know which one we'd be getting given the inconsistency he's shown over his career. If he couldn't get it done in a contract year, I say stay away.

Also found it interesting that Nomar's listed at SS in that free agency list...he hasn't been a SS for years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 am 

doug frobel wrote:
I wonder if NH will make a play for former Indian Casey Blake? Good insurance for LaRoche at third, plus gives you a RH power bat for RF. If we trade Jack, which I think will happen, we could have up to $20 million to spend?! I wonder what NH's philosophy is on 20% of your payroll going to one player?

Blake could spell LaRoche at 1st and play 3rd, maybe he's your 3rd OFer until Moss is back, or McCutchen gets called up...He might not be bad depending on length of the contract and $$$...He is 35...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:02 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Blake could spell LaRoche at 1st and play 3rd, maybe he's your 3rd OFer until Moss is back, or McCutchen gets called up...He might not be bad depending on length of the contract and $$$...He is 35...

Not going to happen. Blake has started for the past two years, and there's little reason to think that he'll settle for a back-up role on a rebuilding team, especially after having a perfectly average season this year. Blake is looking for a starting gig, and he's not going to get it in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:30 pm 

Blake is a good "filler" player for a team with guys like Manny Ramirez, Andre Either, Matt Kemp, Russell Martin. He is not good enough to be a key piece of the batting order, however.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 pm 
bradf wrote:
The PPG reports that the Bucs will shop for a power bat, a starting pitcher and a right-handed reliever (in that order of importance). I assume that is in keeping with the bigger priority of building organization-wide depth, not a Burnitz/Randa panic move, so these would not be one-year type players.

I am interested in opinions as to whether this is a deviation of the stated plan, is it a commitment to follow through with upgrading payroll and talent or is it a panic move?

Also, who knows where to find the list of potential free-agents and what names jump out as fitting the catagories.

No, I don't think it's a deviation of the plan. The long-term goal is to be competitive, so they're building for the future. But they still have to field a team in 2009. I don't think they should make moves at the expensive of the future, but they can try to improve the current ballclub without damaging the future (there is a budget for players every year).

I don't believe in raising the white flag on a season before it begins. I'm glad NH/FC appear to be of the same mindset.