Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keith Law chat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:36 am 

Keith Law mentions Alvarez a couple times. Thinks the Pirates got the better of the new deal. Disses Huntingdon because Coonelly is doing all the talking. Says Alvarez will be in the majors within 24 months and ranks him the fourth in a group of players brought up behind Smoak, Anderson, Snider and then Alvarez. (I thought these were all draft picks but only Smoak seems to be. Not sure why the question came up with those guys)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22667

Post subject: Re: Keith Law chat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:25 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Keith Law mentions Alvarez a couple times. Thinks the Pirates got the better of the new deal. Disses Huntingdon because Coonelly is doing all the talking. Says Alvarez will be in the majors within 24 months and ranks him the fourth in a group of players brought up behind Smoak, Anderson, Snider and then Alvarez. (I thought these were all draft picks but only Smoak seems to be. Not sure why the question came up with those guys)

Yet, Huntington was the person who negotiated the new deal which Law concludes was more favorable for the Pirates . . . Law is a former front office guy who - for whatever reason - left for ESPN so he could criticize other front offices. Maybe he finds it easier to be a critic than to be in the trenches doing actual work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:46 am 

No. 9 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Yet, Huntington was the person who negotiated the new deal which Law concludes was more favorable for the Pirates . . . Law is a former front office guy who - for whatever reason - left for ESPN so he could criticize other front offices. Maybe he finds it easier to be a critic than to be in the trenches doing actual work.

Wow No. 9... thats a zinger. Wish Keith Law could read that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:13 am 

No. 9 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

It's more likely that he finds it more lucrative.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:26 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:

Have to admit my bias here. A fair amount of my work in the products liability arena involve meeting and deposing so-called "experts" who whore themselves for money to offer opinions criticizing the design work done by the engineers that designed the product. While I must admit that there are good experts out there who continue to work in thier field and have what I'd call real expertise, the vast majority of these "experts" are nothing more than paid mouthpieces who testify to whatever the attorney tells them to. They don't practice engineering and, more often than not, their engineering experience is very limited. In other words, they couldn't hack it in the real world so they earn a living by criticizing those that can hack it in the real world.

Again, I admit my bias. But, when I see a guy like Keith Law who once worked in the front office and ends up working in journalism . . . my initial instinct is that he couldn't cut it in the real baseball world and now has insulated himself by criticizing others who are actually in the trenches. My instinct may be wrong - I'll readily admit to that. However, I'll never back off of the claim that it is far easier to sit in the comfort of an ESPN cubicle and criticize others than it is to be in the front office of a MLB team and make the day-to-day decisions with all sorts of constraints of which the general public has no clue. Further, he was simply an assistant GM. Perhaps the reason he couldn't make the next step involved the fact that he would somehow take offense if someone other than him was giving the quotes to the press. Maybe he needs to see his words on paper . . . who knows?

Econo/Willton may be right. Maybe he's making a ton more money working for ESPN. I don't know. However, I'd be surprised if he's making big bucks. I know a guy who is a contributor to ESPN.com and he was not exactly enamored with what the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network pays him.

Again, I'll reveal a bias here. Assuming that both jobs offered reasonable comfortable livings, if I had a chance to work in the front office of a MLB team versus working as an ESPN analyst - even if the latter paid significantly more - I'd pick the front office every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But that's just me . . . . I see why others would choose differently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Have to admit my bias here. A fair amount of my work in the products liability arena involve meeting and deposing so-called "experts" who whore themselves for money to offer opinions criticizing the design work done by the engineers that designed the product. While I must admit that there are good experts out there who continue to work in thier field and have what I'd call real expertise, the vast majority of these "experts" are nothing more than paid mouthpieces who testify to whatever the attorney tells them to. They don't practice engineering and, more often than not, their engineering experience is very limited. In other words, they couldn't hack it in the real world so they earn a living by criticizing those that can hack it in the real world.

Again, I admit my bias. But, when I see a guy like Keith Law who once worked in the front office and ends up working in journalism . . . my initial instinct is that he couldn't cut it in the real baseball world and now has insulated himself by criticizing others who are actually in the trenches. My instinct may be wrong - I'll readily admit to that. However, I'll never back off of the claim that it is far easier to sit in the comfort of an ESPN cubicle and criticize others than it is to be in the front office of a MLB team and make the day-to-day decisions with all sorts of constraints of which the general public has no clue. Further, he was simply an assistant GM. Perhaps the reason he couldn't make the next step involved the fact that he would somehow take offense if someone other than him was giving the quotes to the press. Maybe he needs to see his words on paper . . . who knows?

Econo/Willton may be right. Maybe he's making a ton more money working for ESPN. I don't know. However, I'd be surprised if he's making big bucks. I know a guy who is a contributor to ESPN.com and he was not exactly enamored with what the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network pays him.

Again, I'll reveal a bias here. Assuming that both jobs offered reasonable comfortable livings, if I had a chance to work in the front office of a MLB team versus working as an ESPN analyst - even if the latter paid significantly more - I'd pick the front office every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But that's just me . . . . I see why others would choose differently.

I agree completely, the media is so quick to criticize the Pirates organization because over the past 16 years its just been that easy. Do you think that any of those "critics" or "experts" would have the balls to jump into the Pirates system(as jacked up as it is) and try to make a difference? I don't think so. What makes it worse is that posters link their comments to vilify the PBC.

I love when these guys are wrong, especially when they said that the Yankees got the best of the Nady deal, claiming that the Pirates were robbed. Seems like Nady and Marte did nothing to push the Yankees and we got one of their top prospects in Tabata, not to mention SP depth that the Yankees ended up needing in the end. Nobody knows how the trade will actually pan out, but it looks to me like NH robbed the Yankees of depth and talent. For who? Nady? Who is a client of Boras, who would help him leave Pittsburgh as soon as he became a FA.

I don't worry about what most of those guys say anyway. All they are are ex-GM's that were fired because they couldn't get the job done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, the next time I see Keith Law say something nice about the PBC, it will be the first.

For some reason, I don't know why, I seem to remember Law as one of the final candidates for DL's job.

I remember the asst GM from Philly turned the PBC down, and they went with DL, I thought over Law.

If so, maybe Law has always thought of DL as an idiot, and it carries through to now????

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:39 pm 

That's not right, ZM. I've never read that Law was a candidate for the job and see no reason to believe he might have been, since he started writing for Baseball Prospectus in the late '90s and never, to my knowledge, had any kind of job in baseball until 2002, a year after Littlefield was hired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Thanks charlie. Like I mentioned, I have no idea where that idea came from.
It just rang in my head. Like all the other voices, only louder...

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
While I must admit that there are good experts out there who continue to work in thier field and have what I'd call real expertise, the vast majority of these "experts" are nothing more than paid mouthpieces who testify to whatever the attorney tells them to.

Saaay ... do you have that guy's number??