Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bryan Friggin' Bullington
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm 

...put together a relief line of 5 scoreless innings against the Red Sox no less. Two hits, 6 Ks, and no walks! I watched most of it. Living near Erie, I get to watch more Tribe games than Bucco games. Anyway, his arm slot is now totally different, a lot lower. I wouldn't go so far as to say his stuff was filthy, but I'll say this for him- he stayed away from the fat part of the plate. He was hitting 92 on the gun with lots of movement. I think the movement was due to the sidearm arm angle he's using now.

Anyway, my point is...ARE ALL OF OUR PITCHING COACHES IN THIS SYSTEM IDIOTS?!?! JVB will be next- he'll get released next spring, and LaRussa and Duncan will make him into a dominant closer.

Post subject: Re: Bryan Friggin' Bullington
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
...put together a relief line of 5 scoreless innings against the Red Sox no less. Two hits, 6 Ks, and no walks! I watched most of it. Living near Erie, I get to watch more Tribe games than Bucco games. Anyway, his arm slot is now totally different, a lot lower. I wouldn't go so far as to say his stuff was filthy, but I'll say this for him- he stayed away from the fat part of the plate. He was hitting 92 on the gun with lots of movement. I think the movement was due to the sidearm arm angle he's using now.

Anyway, my point is...ARE ALL OF OUR PITCHING COACHES IN THIS SYSTEM IDIOTS?!?! JVB will be next- he'll get released next spring, and LaRussa and Duncan will make him into a dominant closer.

Maybe. Or maybe this is Bullington just having a good game. Even Shawn Chacon had a game like this, and that does not mean that Chacon was an ace in waiting. Plus, it's worth noting that Bullington's recent 5 scoreless innings brought his ERA down to a 5.59. Five innings of good pitching does not suddenly erase a long history of bad pitching.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:30 pm 

True, except that he really looked like a different pitcher, the arm slot was that different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
True, except that he really looked like a different pitcher, the arm slot was that different.

Well, did he just learn it during those 5 innings? Because if he did not, and he learned it over an extensive period in the Indians system, there's a lot of evidence that says it's not doing him any good. See his minor league performance at AAA Buffalo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:51 pm 

5 scoreless innings in relief from a former 1st round draft pick who was projected to be a #3 starter...damn...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:58 pm 

Willton wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Well, did he just learn it during those 5 innings? Because if he did not, and he learned it over an extensive period in the Indians system, there's a lot of evidence that says it's not doing him any good. See his minor league performance at AAA Buffalo.

To be fair, if he did just learn it this summer, there is undoubtedly an adjustment period where he would have gotten shelled. It is POSSIBLE that he is now coming around to his new delivery and will have a long, successful career. It is more PROBABLE, as you note, that this was just one good game, merely a blip in the radar.

The question, I suppose, would be what if this is the start of a new Bryan Bullington? How much blame can you really put on the Pirates for giving up? I mean, he was crap on a stick when he was with us, and I can't imagine there are too many pitchers in the history of the game who suddenly switched to throwing sidearm and were successful, so it would be hard to blame our coaches for not trying that switch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 pm 

When you're on a team with the worst starting pitching staff in baseball and there's injuries and they call you up to the Majors and you sit in the bullpen and rot and not get used at all...YOU SUCK!!!

Injuries, A Littlefield Folly, struggling in the majors, and struggling in the minors...that all equals getting cut!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 pm 

I happen to turn over to the game last night and watched Bullington's performance. He got ahead of every hitter. I didn't know it was him at first because you can't read his long name with the multicolored lettering on their jerseys (unless you have HD TV!)

Watching the Tribe again tonight.. I was hoping they'd get no hit!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:25 am 

Gets a start today for Tribe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:55 am 

Bullington getting the start...I guess Cleveland is pretty much handing Chicago the Central Division...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:40 am 

Decent outing for Bullington:

5 innings 5 hits 3 runs 2 earned 1 walk 2 strikeouts