Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rinky Dink operation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:54 pm 

No, I am not talking about the Bucs.

I could be wrong but FSN Pittsburgh did not cover the Bucs/Alvarez news conference with a film crew. At least no one with a satellite dish. It was by phone with a highlight reel that ran through 4 times.

I have used the word dink twice now, no make it 3 times now.

Post subject: Re: Rinky Dink operation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm 

Film crew?

How many NFL draft picks have a film crew at their contract signings?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:39 pm 

Az-

I believe the entire press conference was done by phone. The reason for that was that Pedro and Coonely were in Pgh and Huntington is in Milwaukee with the team.

The real question is why are none of the final 4 games being televised? Tonight is our last chance to watch the good guys, at least here in Pgh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 am 

Well they get bumped tonight by the big Highlands/Mars game. The rest of the weekend is probably filled with mud wrasslin' and bass tourny's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 am 
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Well they get bumped tonight by the big Highlands/Mars game. The rest of the weekend is probably filled with mud wrasslin' and bass tourny's.

Bob Pompeani said on the KDKA news last night that the Pirates did not allow film crews at the signing or the press conference (which I found very odd).

If you'll notice, any footage of Pedro yesterday was him out on the street AFTER the whole thing was done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am 
BBF wrote:
Az-

I believe the entire press conference was done by phone. The reason for that was that Pedro and Coonely were in Pgh and Huntington is in Milwaukee with the team.

The real question is why are none of the final 4 games being televised? Tonight is our last chance to watch the good guys, at least here in Pgh.

I flipped when I heard that. Why stop televising at this point? If there's a set number, why not remove a couple of mid-season games. I would think the last series of the season has good viewership relative to some of the other points of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 am 

Probably had something to do with the way scheduling works out. FSN does not cover Thursday games once high school football starts...hasn't for years. Nor do they cover Sunday games once the NFL starts...again, haven't for years. The remaining two games are at 10pm on the west coast. Late night games often are skipped by FSN throughout the season, at least this year. And, in this case, it saves them the cost of sending a crew to the west coast to pick up 2 games that would undoubtedly have low ratings.

Not trying to justify it or say I'm okay with it, just giving what I imagine their reasons are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:46 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

And here I thought BBF was making a backhanded Branch Rickey comment!

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:58 am 

Good points.

High school football is going to do a bigger number than a meaningless Pirates game.

The only thing I'd add is that the Steelers play on Monday night, so there's a chance the Sunday game could still do a decent number.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:36 pm 

Maybe the PBC told them to stay away in case Boras or Alvarez were to use the public attention to get up on some soap box. Might have been to save PA from even more resentment by Pirate fans. Although, his ridiculous comments did get my blood a boiling.