Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morgan sent down to Indy
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:08 pm 

Happened after today's game. Don't know who got the call up.

Post subject: Re: Morgan sent down to Indy
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:10 pm 

Damn you're fast. Just going to post that.

I assume we will see Kevin Thompson as you won't want to call up any actual prospects to sit on the bench. Craig Wilson isn't worthy. Don't know who else it could be.

Speaking of interchangeable speedy backup centerfielders, where is Duffy?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:13 pm 

BBF wrote:
Damn you're fast. Just going to post that.

I assume we will see Kevin Thompson as you won't want to call up any actual prospects to sit on the bench. Craig Wilson isn't worthy. Don't know who else it could be.

Speaking of interchangeable speedy backup centerfielders, where is Duffy?

Last I heard, still in Florida and not ready to play.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 pm 

Ironic after he had a strong game today, but alas, not very surprising news.

Last I heard of Duffy was that he was getting a shot in the shoulder and they still had no idea about his availability.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:43 pm 

Actually, we are NOT bringing Thompson up...we acquired Jason Michaels from Cleveland for the well-travelled Player Tobenamedlater.

Curious.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm 

BBF wrote:
Actually, we are NOT bringing Thompson up...we acquired Jason Michaels from Cleveland for the well-travelled Player Tobenamedlater.

Curious.

I was briefly excited. Then I realized that I was mistaking the total base column with the OPS+ column on his stats page.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/michaja01.shtml

I don't have a huge problem with the deal, assuming that the PTBNL is not a real prospect and the Indians are picking up at least $1.5M of Michaels' $2.2M salary.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 pm 

what are we going to do with another aging outfielder.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:39 pm 

Michaels is a back-up player - something that Morgan could not do. He has a career OPS of .826 against left-handers. He is a decent pinch hitter.

And for reasons stated earlier, I will defer to Huntington on his player evaluations. Given his track record, I believe that Michaels will do a good job playing 1x per week, coming off the bench as a pinch hitter, starting against the occasional lefty, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:42 pm 

jleisele58 wrote:
what are we going to do with another aging outfielder.

Pinch hit for the pitcher with an actual chance of getting a double.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:42 pm 

Oops, I should have read this thread first. Michaels is my co-worker's favorite player. She'll be shocked when she finds out my team got her guy. She's a real character (a woman with thirty cats who still adores Dave Duncan!) and her aging mother loves Michaels too.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:56 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08129/880253-100.stm

Quote:
Huntington said the acquisition of Michaels came largely at the recommendation of manager John Russell and bench coach Gary Varsho, each of whom knew him from their days with the Philadelphia Phillies.

"This is a guy who brings a real, quality presence to the clubhouse," Huntington said. "He can play left and right field, and he can be adequate in center if Nate McLouth ever gets a day off."

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:57 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Oops, I should have read this thread first. Michaels is my co-worker's favorite player. She'll be shocked when she finds out my team got her guy. She's a real character (a woman with thirty cats).

Is this her??

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:04 pm 

That woman makes me laugh. I know so many Simpsons characters in real life. My brother is that comic book collecting slobby nerd. I know several guys at work who remind me of the one armed guy in the gun shop. Our previous company president was very similar to Mr. Burns.. and I am basically Milhouse.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 pm 

Another great visual Bucfan. Man, you just keep me laughing.

Looks like a great move if he's as discribed as a good bench player and relief outfielder,and is an addition to our clubhouse. Seems like a pattern is developing here that I like.

And the Indians are picking up the majority of his salary.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:20 am 

I was just reminiscing with my father last night, naming all the players we saw with the Reading Phils in the 90's when we went to Altoona games. Johnny Estrada, Nick Punto, Pat Burrell, Eric Valent...and of course, Jason Michaels. They all played for Reading at the same time, if my trusty scorecard reads correctly.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 pm 

tennis08tarheels wrote:
I was just reminiscing with my father last night, naming all the players we saw with the Reading Phils in the 90's when we went to Altoona games. Johnny Estrada, Nick Punto, Pat Burrell, Eric Valent...and of course, Jason Michaels. They all played for Reading at the same time, if my trusty scorecard reads correctly.

Glad to see this move. There's no sense keeping Morgan on the bench. He'll get plenty of at bats in Indy.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:20 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
Glad to see this move. There's no sense keeping Morgan on the bench. He'll get plenty of at bats in Indy.

I'm not so sure he'll get plenty of at bats in Indy. First, management must really like Kevin Thompson...they added him to their 40 man and he was one of the last cuts of spring...so he will get at least semi-regular duty in the OF. Then, the Pirates have two prospects and they both play outfield. Best I can see is Nyjer platooning with Thompson, who just happens to be Indy's best hitter right now, and perhaps rotating through DH with Craig, Boeve, etc.

I'm also not so sure he deserves plenty of at bats unless you are showcasing him for a trade, as you might be able to pawn him off on some of the dumber, old school GM's (see: Wade, Edward and Sabean, Brian).

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:29 pm 

It's about time Morgan got sent down. He was not a good fit.

Apparently Thompson has a minor wrist injury, otherwise he would have gotten that spot.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:07 pm 

BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:

I'm not so sure he'll get plenty of at bats in Indy. First, management must really like Kevin Thompson...they added him to their 40 man and he was one of the last cuts of spring...so he will get at least semi-regular duty in the OF. Then, the Pirates have two prospects and they both play outfield. Best I can see is Nyjer platooning with Thompson, who just happens to be Indy's best hitter right now, and perhaps rotating through DH with Craig, Boeve, etc.

I'm also not so sure he deserves plenty of at bats unless you are showcasing him for a trade, as you might be able to pawn him off on some of the dumber, old school GM's (see: Wade, Edward and Sabean, Brian).

Charlie has a theory about the Morgan demotion, and I think it's very plausible.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2008/5/8/4827 ... ought-abou

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:36 pm 

Willton wrote:
[
Charlie has a theory about the Morgan demotion, and I think it's very plausible.

Yeah, I've read it. Wasn't going to bring it up because I didn't want to get people's panties all bunched up over the thought that Nyjer just isn't a major league talent. We've had the argument too many times, and its always about how fast he is and how he "looks like a ballplayer", how exciting he is, and quickly degenerates into the favorite line of "Stats don't say anything so you should give my personal, non-professional opinion the same weight". Just didn't want to go down that road again.