Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hank Steinbrenner is an idiot
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 pm 

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=462429

"...it's not sour grapes," "...it's not a knock on Torre."

What a jerk. He complains about an 83 win team winning the World Series? OK, Hank, under your system, the 2000 Yankees would have never made it to the playoffs, so you can be the first to turn in your World Series trophy.

"under my system we still wouldn't have made the playoffs."

Yeah, and Torre probably wouldn't have either, which I guess would have softened the blow for the Yankees.

I think its funny that Torre could take a team to the postseason that has less wins than the Yankees who missed out. I'm kinda rooting for the Dodgers now, even though I hate Manny.

The division system is fine. Hank Steinbrenner doesn't even have half the class of his father, and that's bad.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

Post subject: Re: Hank Steinbrenner is an idiot
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm 

Welfare_Fraud wrote:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=462429

"...it's not sour grapes," "...it's not a knock on Torre."

What a jerk. He complains about an 83 win team winning the World Series? OK, Hank, under your system, the 2000 Yankees would have never made it to the playoffs, so you can be the first to turn in your World Series trophy.

"under my system we still wouldn't have made the playoffs."

Yeah, and Torre probably wouldn't have either, which I guess would have softened the blow for the Yankees.

I think its funny that Torre could take a team to the postseason that has less wins than the Yankees who missed out. I'm kinda rooting for the Dodgers now, even though I hate Manny.

The division system is fine. Hank Steinbrenner doesn't even have half the class of his father, and that's bad.

Someone needs to tell him not to waste his money on a high priced free agent and find a stylist who can find him a natural hair color...

Attachments:
a.jpg
a.jpg [ 22.97 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 pm 

Hank has a point. The West is a total fiasco. The idea that LA or Arizona could win the World Series makes me sick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 pm 

A very close friend of mine is a Yankees fan. He informed me that during the salute to the history of the Yankees Sunday night, Joe Torre was not mentioned once. He is a very unhappy Yankees fan at this time, dismayed at their lack of class in this instance. Unbelievable! Joe Torre handles players better than anyone. Who could survive that nuthouse? Hank is a dink.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
A very close friend of mine is a Yankees fan. He informed me that during the salute to the history of the Yankees Sunday night, Joe Torre was not mentioned once. He is a very unhappy Yankees fan at this time, dismayed at their lack of class in this instance. Unbelievable! Joe Torre handles players better than anyone. Who could survive that nuthouse? Hank is a dink.

Funny how Torre developed a reputation for doing a great job of handling players when he finally was put in charge of a team with talented players.

I'm sorry, but I think that Joe Torre is mediocre at best, and he flat out sucks at handling a pitching staff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 pm 

There's more to managing a team than the 2-3 hours on the field during the game. There is no better guy to play for in the league. His handling of Manny has been pretty seamless now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
There's more to managing a team than the 2-3 hours on the field during the game. There is no better guy to play for in the league. His handling of Manny has been pretty seamless now.

Yes, there is. Funny how nobody noted Torres' skill for handling players when he was managing the Mets and the Braves, though.

He's had Happy Manny on his team for how long now? Wait until he has Unhappy Manny. Then we'll be in a better position to judge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:13 pm 

Players love to play for him. I can state that as a fact. He was treated Shabbily by the Yankees in this instance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Players love to play for him. I can state that as a fact. He was treated Shabbily by the Yankees in this instance.

I definitely agree with you that the Yankees have shown absolutely no class. Letting him go was one thing. Pretending he never existed just tells me that they are either afraid that the made a mistake or they're ashamed of what they've done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:22 pm 

All of the above.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am 

Based on that article, Steinbrenner appears to have the intellectual capacity of a turnip.

There is some obvious logic to having one division per league - the four best records always make the playoffs - but divisional play brings a lot more teams into the playoff race. Baseball would not be where it is today without that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:58 am 

I'll bet Hank wasn't upset in 2000 when the Yank's won it all with an 87-74 record. Here's the AL's top finishers that year:

CHW - 95-67
OAK - 91-70
SEA - 91-70
CLE - 90-72
NYY - 87-74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:30 am 

Argentum wrote:
I'll bet Hank wasn't upset in 2000 when the Yank's won it all with an 87-74 record. Here's the AL's top finishers that year:

CHW - 95-67
OAK - 91-70
SEA - 91-70
CLE - 90-72
NYY - 87-74

Yeah, I mentioned that in the first post. Funny how Hank isn't upset about it.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 am 

I agree that Hank Steinbrenner is a moron, but I actually would like to see his two division idea implemented. Maybe a divisional system involves one (at most two) more team(s) in the playoff chase, but it's at the expense of the quality of playoff baseball. It's in the sport's best interest to have the best teams in the playoffs, regardless of league or geography. (And I'm happy to say that either way, the Yankees wouldn't have been in the playoffs this year.)

This idea won't be popular, but I think they should seed the playoffs top to bottom across leagues as well, which means two NL or AL teams could meet in the World Series. I know this would be pissing on baseball's sacred Tradition, but how many horrible World Series do we have to watch before we realize that the best teams should be playing each other in the finals? In 2007, the two best teams were clearly the Red Sox and Indians, they met in the ALCS. In 2006, if the NLCS had been the WS, it would have been one of the most talked about of the last 20 years. Same for 2004 with the Sox and Yankees, except make that "of all time" instead.

It seems that all of the major sports have this problem of actively prohibiting the two best teams in their leagues actually playing in the finals, because they automatically give a free pass to a team from what is usually an inferior league or conference. This solution throws tradition out the window, but I think that the increased interest from having better playoffs/finals will more than offset any interest that is lost with the tradition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:44 pm 

Hank Steinbrenner ... all that money, and he can't afford a gym membership? Or perhaps just running shoes?