Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nate a Yankee??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
No way I'd go after Cano...His average dropped 40 points from last season, his slugging is down 80 points, his runs scored are down, his on base is at .299 right now!!!

He's not an upgrade over Freddy...

Though I dont know how you'd get rid of Freddy, I dont think anyone will want him either...

Kind of funny because a Yankee fan buddy of mine and I were talking about Cano and he was hoping they could find someone to dump him off on this off season. Is that us? I hope not.

As far as McClouth having corner outfield power, no way man. McClouth will never hit 30-35 homeruns over 6-7 seasons. This is his Brady Anderson season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:36 pm 

jleisele58 wrote:
mclouth is definitely above average, go check his stats compared to all mlb Cfs. Then go check out his stats against all OFs. He does has enough power for a corner outfielder. He also has the stats for a leadoff centerfielder, and his fielding % is still 1.000.

Neal was on TV prior to one of the games last week and was talking about the need to have 2 Centerfield like guys to cover the ground in the gap in PNC...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
As far as McClouth having corner outfield power, no way man. McClouth will never hit 30-35 homeruns over 6-7 seasons. This is his Brady Anderson season.

What corner outfielders are hitting 30-35 hr over 6-7 seasons other than adam dunn and manny? There are only 7 LF who have hit above 30 hr so far this year and 2 right fielders. 2 more lfs may make 30 hr by the end of the year. Mclouth has hit 26 so far. Sounds to be a hair above ave power for a corner outfielder doncha think

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:43 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
jleisele58 wrote:
mclouth is definitely above average, go check his stats compared to all mlb Cfs. Then go check out his stats against all OFs. He does has enough power for a corner outfielder. He also has the stats for a leadoff centerfielder, and his fielding % is still 1.000.

Neal was on TV prior to one of the games last week and was talking about the need to have 2 Centerfield like guys to cover the ground in the gap in PNC...

Really? That's a new one on me.

He can have his two centerfield like guys, but he better start looking for a second baseman who can hit 30 jacks a season and a couple of corner infielders who are more than doubles hitters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:45 pm 

jleisele58 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

What corner outfielders are hitting 30-35 hr over 6-7 seasons other than adam dunn and manny? There are only 7 LF who have hit above 30 hr so far this year and 2 right fielders. 2 more lfs may make 30 hr by the end of the year. Mclouth has hit 26 so far. Sounds to be a hair above ave power for a corner outfielder doncha think

26 is double his career high to this point. Do you really want to gamble that this season isn't a fluke?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:49 pm 

had his last slump lasted the rest of the season, i think i would have trouble arguing with you. But he did come around again, and late in the season none the less when he should be tuckered out by now. Ill give him the nod for next year and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:50 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

but he better start looking for a second baseman who can hit 30 jacks a season

He can come over to my place...I've got a bumper crop of them growing from my trees this year.

Jesus Christ this is more illogical than any argument we ever had with BH when he was here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:51 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

26 is double his career high to this point. Do you really want to gamble that this season isn't a fluke?

Yeah, its really funny how he doubles his homerun total when he nearly doubles his # of at bats. Its like some crazy math thing or sumpthin, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm 

jleisele58 wrote:
had his last slump lasted the rest of the season, i think i would have trouble arguing with you. But he did come around again, and late in the season none the less when he should be tuckered out by now. Ill give him the nod for next year and see what happens.

Fair enough. I just don't see his as the long term answer in centerfield. He's as good as he's going to be right now. If you want to follow the "trade them when their value is high" mantra, then right now is the perfect time to deal him. If you hold on to him until next season and he reverts back to his old form, the Pirates will have wasted a golden opportunity to turn one guy in to three.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:55 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
jleisele58 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

This is also his 1st season as a regular starter...Coaches and players have talked about him having a sweet swing that will produce good at bats...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:01 pm 

BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

but he better start looking for a second baseman who can hit 30 jacks a season

He can come over to my place...I've got a bumper crop of them growing from my trees this year.

Jesus Christ this is more illogical than any argument we ever had with BH when he was here.

Illogical huh?

Yeah......building a team with NO POWER around a staff with only one starter who has an ERA under 4.98 is the PERFECT formula for winning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:09 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

He can have his two centerfield like guys, but he better start looking for a second baseman who can hit 30 jacks a season and a couple of corner infielders who are more than doubles hitters.

First 2nd basemen who hit 30 homeruns are rare...

With Alvarez and the LaRoche's, though Adam will probably be dealt soon...You got 30 homerun potential from your infield...plus there's Neal Walker too, who knows what he's going to do...
And lets not foget having a good power hitting catcher in Doumit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:18 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

With Alvarez and the LaRoche's, though Adam will probably be dealt soon...You got 30 homerun potential from your infield...plus there's Neal Walker too, who knows what he's going to do...

If Adam is dealt, who takes over at first? It doesn't seem like the club is on love with Steve Pearce, and although I love Menky, I doubt he's the answer at first. I have no idea what Andy's numbers project to. Although he and Pedro are probably the best bets at 2nd and 3rd, although it's anyone's guess who ends up where.

As far as Doumit goes, he's hit 14 jacks in 414 ABs this season. That's nice production from your catcher, but there's always the worry that he won't be able to keep it up as he gets older. Which begs the question, is he a catcher long term or is a position switch in his future.

I just don't see a lot of power on this team. And when your pitching staff sucks, lack of power really hurts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:20 pm 

I guess I'm coming around to you guys' thinking.

I don't think he should be traded for anyone anybody has ever heard of before. He should be traded for "prospects". The more the better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:25 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
I just spoke to a business acquaintance in New York and the story going around up there is that Nate is as good as gone, and he will be a Yankee next year. The word is Robinson Cano, or maybe a bunch more prospects.

I hate to see Nate go, I really, really, hate to see Wilson go, but what the heck? Does it even matter at this point?

Yankee fans are not noted for their intelligence. Nate ain't going nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:30 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Argentum wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Why would they want McClouth when they could have a better player in Eric Byrnes for a lesser price.

Eric Byrnes??? The 32 year old D-Back? You're joking, right?

No, I'm not joking. Bynres is a proven performer on the Major League level. McClouth has had one good season.

Eric Byrnes has never put up a season that even comes close to the year Nate had this year. If you really think that Byrnes is better than McLouth then I can feel safe in laughing every time you write a post concerning a players ability. If I ever find us agreeing on a guy, I'll reevaluate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:34 pm 

Like I care what a proven Pirate apologist thinks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
No way I'd go after Cano...His average dropped 40 points from last season, his slugging is down 80 points, his runs scored are down, his on base is at .299 right now!!!

Though I dont know how you'd get rid of Freddy, I dont think anyone will want him either...

Kind of funny because a Yankee fan buddy of mine and I were talking about Cano and he was hoping they could find someone to dump him off on this off season. Is that us? I hope not.

Not many do, and power consists of all extra base hits, not just home runs. If he was a left fielder this year he would rank ninth in slugging percentage. If he was a right fielder he would rank fourth. Besides, given the dimensions of left field at PNC, the Pirates have to give more weight to a left fielder's defense than the average team.

An additional reason that it would be stupid to give up McLouth for Cano is that you would be acquiring a player who is a bit closer to free agency.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:44 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I would be shocked if anyone offered enough to get Adam LaRoche. He'll be starting at first on opening day next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:56 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Not many do, and power consists of all extra base hits, not just home runs. If he was a left fielder this year he would rank ninth in slugging percentage. If he was a right fielder he would rank fourth. Besides, given the dimensions of left field at PNC, the Pirates have to give more weight to a left fielder's defense than the average team.

An additional reason that it would be stupid to give up McLouth for Cano is that you would be acquiring a player who is a bit closer to free agency.

I don't want to trade him for Cano either, but I still want to trade him. He's far more valuable in trade than he is on the roster. He's not going to get any better, so strike when the iron is hot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next