Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nate a Yankee??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:28 pm 

I just spoke to a business acquaintance in New York and the story going around up there is that Nate is as good as gone, and he will be a Yankee next year. The word is Robinson Cano, or maybe a bunch more prospects.

I hate to see Nate go, I really, really, hate to see Wilson go, but what the heck? Does it even matter at this point?

Post subject: Re: Nate a Yankee??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:44 pm 

Nate is not a Yankee and I would put money on him not becoming a Yankee in the next couple of offseasons. Rumors in the NY media are just that.

I believe the report listed Matt Kemp, Nate McLouth, and David DeJesus as CF options and Cano as being the trade bait. Could they get McLouth? Maybe if they throw in Kennedy and Chamberlain, and maybe Austin Jackson. Ain't happening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 pm 

The NY sports media is conditioned to expect players to be available just because they want them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:27 pm 

Nate isn't going anywhere for awhile...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:41 pm 

Why would they want McClouth when they could have a better player in Eric Byrnes for a lesser price.

If Brian Cashman is allowed to keep his job, he won't pull the trigger on that deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:49 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Why would they want McClouth when they could have a better player in Eric Byrnes for a lesser price.

Eric Byrnes??? The 32 year old D-Back? You're joking, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:50 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

No, I'm not joking. Bynres is a proven performer on the Major League level. McClouth has had one good season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:53 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

If Brian Cashman is allowed to keep his job, he won't pull the trigger on that deal.

:shock:

I'm sorry, did you just say that Eric Byrnes is a better player than Nate McLouth?

(phone rings)

"Hello, Leg Warehouse? My friend Jeremy needs something to stand on."

(pause)

"So, you have nothing? Thanks so much."

(click)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

:shock:

I'm sorry, did you just say that Eric Byrnes is a better player than Nate McLouth?

(phone rings)

"Hello, Leg Warehouse? My friend Jeremy needs something to stand on."

(pause)

"So, you have nothing? Thanks so much."

(click)

1. We're not friends.

2. We'll see where McClouth and Bynres are a year from now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:56 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Argentum wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

No, I'm not joking. Bynres is a proven performer on the Major League level. McClouth has had one good season.

Yeah, Byrnes has proven that he blows. McLouth at least has some upside.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:57 pm 

I think its time for Jeremy to take a nap, he's getting a little cranky...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:59 pm 

McClouth is topped out. This is as high as he's going to go.

Hell, if Nady or Bay had stayed, we'd be talking about the possibility of McClouth being the 4th outfielder on this team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:02 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Hell, if Nady or Bay had stayed, we'd be talking about the possibility of McClouth being the 4th outfielder on this team.

No, cuz there was no way they would have been here after their contracts were up in another year, so McCutchen who has still time could play another year in the minors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:04 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

And that height is far higher than anything Byrnes ever achieved.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:05 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

No, cuz there was no way they would have been here after their contracts were up in another year, so McCutchen who has still time could play another year in the minors

Nady wanted to stay. He said so time and time again. I wanted to keep him. Had he stayed, McClouth would a platoon player/fouth outfielder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:09 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

This is kinda funny because I was thinking about this yesterday as I gave Jack a standing O.

Really, I was.

NY media aside, I find myself asking what is to become of Nate? He is about average as a CFer I think, not more. He hits very well for a leadoff/CFer, but should be really pushed in the coming years by McCutch and or Tabata.

That means someone has to move around. OK, maybe Tabata goes to RF and either McCutch or McClouth go to LF. I've always looked at McCutch and said he would grow into Moises Alou part deaux.

But, McCutch apparently is the digs in CF. Clearly superior to Nate defensively. Does Nate have corner OF power? 20-some, 280, and a good OBP is good for leadoff CFer, but not really in LF.

So, do you move him at his peak, this year to get a guy "like" Cano and cede CF to McCutch with Morgan as short -term backup solution???

You might not get a better chance to get a really good player like Cano who would help out and fit the age profile. Would also allow you to move Sanchez for something reasonable before he totally falls apart.

I guess it all depends on whether one likes Nate in LF eventually. Or, find that Moss, Tabata, Pierce or someone else is a better option.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:13 pm 

Yow Jeremy whats up man!! chill..

argue and call things that are right and true.. do not come with Sh!t on here and defend it..
you probably a bit frustrated about your ballclub, but do not say that Nady is Better then McLouth..!

Did Nady produce more as Mclouth in his 1st year? and how about this year..?
Just check the stats and you are proven completely wrong..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:13 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
This is kinda funny because I was thinking about this yesterday as I gave Jack a standing O.

Really, I was.

NY media aside, I find myself asking what is to become of Nate? He is about average as a CFer I think, not more. He hits very well for a leadoff/CFer, but should be really pushed in the coming years by McCutch and or Tabata.

That means someone has to move around. OK, maybe Tabata goes to RF and either McCutch or McClouth go to LF. I've always looked at McCutch and said he would grow into Moises Alou part deaux.

But, McCutch apparently is the digs in CF. Clearly superior to Nate defensively. Does Nate have corner OF power? 20-some, 280, and a good OBP is good for leadoff CFer, but not really in LF.

So, do you move him at his peak, this year to get a guy "like" Cano and cede CF to McCutch with Morgan as short -term backup solution???

You might not get a better chance to get a really good player like Cano who would help out and fit the age profile. Would also allow you to move Sanchez for something reasonable before he totally falls apart.

I guess it all depends on whether one likes Nate in LF eventually. Or, find that Moss, Tabata, Pierce or someone else is a better option.

ZM

Mike, who's to say Moss is a long term solution?

Look, if anyone is willing to give up a decent second baseman for McClouth, now is the time. He's not going to get better. I don't really like Cano all that well, but he's an upgrade over Sanchez. Maybe someone like LA will give up a mid level guy for Freddy, but his peak value is past.

So you either pull the trigger on McClouth now when his value is at it's peak, or you wait and end up with another Sanchez type player. Either way, McClouth has 1-2 years left before better players force him to the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm 

No way I'd go after Cano...His average dropped 40 points from last season, his slugging is down 80 points, his runs scored are down, his on base is at .299 right now!!!

He's not an upgrade over Freddy...

Though I dont know how you'd get rid of Freddy, I dont think anyone will want him either...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 pm 

mclouth is definitely above average, go check his stats compared to all mlb Cfs. Then go check out his stats against all OFs. He does has enough power for a corner outfielder. He also has the stats for a leadoff centerfielder, and his fielding % is still 1.000.