Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tekulve
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:59 pm 

Teke made an interesting comment after last night's game. He stated that after scouting all the teams for a season, he felt that the Bucs had the talent to be a winning team. I found this opinion surprising. He also stated that he had been holding that in for the past month not commenting on it.

Post subject: Re: Tekulve
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:01 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Teke made an interesting comment after last night's game. He stated that after scouting all the teams for a season, he felt that the Bucs had the talent to be a winning team. I found this opinion surprising. He also stated that he had been holding that in for the past month not commenting on it.

Yeah, he said they just need to learn how to play the game right!!!

Thats the problem when you go for athletes and not enough ballplayers

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:30 pm 

I heard that too, but I think he was referring to the position players, not the starting pitchers.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:46 pm 

I felt the same way as Teke at the beginning of the season. What I am noticing is that outside of Nady and McLouth, consistency is the biggest problem. Some games we play like world beaters but other games I am not sure that we could beat the Manatte squad. Proven professionals are the guys that take the talent hype and transcend it to consistency. Something we need to see more of. McLouth, I believe will succeed, but Nady is a little late in the process. I am a big fan of Nady, but I know that he is trade bait and will soon be gone, that is what is best for the team.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:29 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I felt the same way as Teke at the beginning of the season. What I am noticing is that outside of Nady and McLouth, consistency is the biggest problem. Some games we play like world beaters but other games I am not sure that we could beat the Manatte squad. Proven professionals are the guys that take the talent hype and transcend it to consistency. Something we need to see more of. McLouth, I believe will succeed, but Nady is a little late in the process. I am a big fan of Nady, but I know that he is trade bait and will soon be gone, that is what is best for the team.

I think there's more talent on tihs team than the W-L record would suggest, but I don't think there's enough talent on the team to compete for a division or anything like that. There is not enough starting pitching (or even close, in my opinion).

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:41 pm 

if, if, if... it is always if.

If Jack Wilson didn't get hurt
If Adam LaRoche wasn't a mental wreck
If Jose Bautista was something more than a utility infielder
If Tom Gorzellany, Paul Maholm, & Zach Duke were more than 5th starters.
If Matt Morris did the respectable thing and retired.
If Brian Bixler was more than a minor leaguer in a major league uniform
If John Russell realized our scouts knew nothing about range factor
If Luis Rivas and Chris Gomez weren't miscast as capable SS

The Pirates drafted pitchers for how many years and this organization is still searching for help on the mound. There are few power arms and no one with top of the rotation stuff.

Apologize for the negative posts but this stuff from Tek about a winning team is so far beyond reality it is a joke.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:59 pm 

I'll admit it, I haven't been watching the post-game (hell for most of the season I haven't been watching the last 3 innings). I'd be interested to hear people's opinions of Teke...does he come across as intelligent (can't be worse than Chris Peters last year...wow, 2 Peters references here this weekend) or as your typical meat head ex-player? I've had the pleasure of talking baseball with him before and he is certainly no Bob Walk, but he's not Joe Morgan either, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:48 am 

Welcome back Eric.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:27 am 

i like teke, however i am pretty sure he is being censored out the wazoo. i think he would be a lot more critical and be able to make some real comments about this team had he not been on fsn

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:54 pm 

i like his post game comments and have been making a point of tuning in. He gives the impression of someone who would like to say more than he has thus far.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:54 pm 

I like him too, but I'm distracted from his comments.

He looks so uncomfortable sitting their in a suit. His posture or something always makes me feel he's not happy with his surroundings.-- like he's being kept after school and forced to stay neat in his dress up clothes. Does anyone else get that feeling?

He's an improvement but I think it will take him awhile to begin to give us his best.