Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:34 pm 
Jeremy wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
What the heck do you people want? Did you want the Pirates to magically go to the WS because we got a new manager? I think Russell did a great job in managing a team that had gaping holes in starting pitching, and a complete offensive turnover after the deadline.

Thinks you may have overlooked:
1. Doumit played pretty much the entire season at Catcher and improved his skills markedly (point - Russell)
2. McLouth emerges as the star of the team, he just needed to be given the chance (point - Russell)
3. The clubhouse maintained a professional workmanlike attitude for the entire season according to Dejan (point - Russell)
4. Russell has a history of making younger players better, why should that change now?

Russell did a nice job for his first year, remember, he will develop to.


Doug M disagrees.


I respect the opinions/observations of both Doug M and Dejan. Only one can be the truth, though. I wasn't in the clubhouse so I have no way of knowing. The team appeared to quit in a couple games, but I think they hustled the vast majority of the games that I watched.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Elmer wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
What the heck do you people want? Did you want the Pirates to magically go to the WS because we got a new manager? I think Russell did a great job in managing a team that had gaping holes in starting pitching, and a complete offensive turnover after the deadline.

Thinks you may have overlooked:
1. Doumit played pretty much the entire season at Catcher and improved his skills markedly (point - Russell)
2. McLouth emerges as the star of the team, he just needed to be given the chance (point - Russell)
3. The clubhouse maintained a professional workmanlike attitude for the entire season according to Dejan (point - Russell)
4. Russell has a history of making younger players better, why should that change now?

Russell did a nice job for his first year, remember, he will develop to.


Doug M disagrees.


I respect the opinions/observations of both Doug M and Dejan. Only one can be the truth, though. I wasn't in the clubhouse so I have no way of knowing. The team appeared to quit in a couple games, but I think they hustled the vast majority of the games that I watched.


The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
Those statements are not in conflict.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Quote:
The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.


Dejan is far from a media hack, a Bucco apologist, or a team chearleader. Can apply the same rationale to your posts?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:


That sounds better than what I said...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:



Man the FO could tell you grass is blue and you'd believe it wouldn't you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7288
Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:



Man the FO could tell you grass is blue and you'd believe it wouldn't you.


It might be Kentucky BLUE Grass!!!

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:



Man the FO could tell you grass is blue and you'd believe it wouldn't you.

Last I checked, Dejan Kovacevic was a beat writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, not a member of the Pirates front office. Once again, get your facts straight.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Here's a fact....you're an idiot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Pittsburgh
Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.



LOL.....I guess that's what they've won 5 World Series since he's been the owner.

The Nuttings care about money, the Steinbrenners care about winning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Pittsburgh
Jeremy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.



LOL.....I guess that's what they've won 5 World Series since he's been the owner.

No, it's why they own the most profitable team in professional sports.

Quote:
The Nuttings care about money, the Steinbrenners care about winning.

Yes, as long as it keeps their property the most profitable team in professional sports. Do you think that Yankee Stadium is being torn down to make fans happier, or might it be because the new stadium will bring in more corporate revenue from its $800k per year boxes?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
Here's a fact....you're an idiot.

It hurts you to be wrong, doesn't it? :lol:

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Here's a fact....you're an idiot.

It hurts you to be wrong, doesn't it? :lol:



No more than it hurts you to be a raging jackass.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.


I disagree, Sisyphus. I think Steinbrenner is a fan at heart. I have no idea if he cares about fans or not, but I believe he cares about winning more than making money. Of course he loves money, too, but he wouldn't make some of the deals he has through the years if his top priority were the books, imho.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Pittsburgh
Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.


I disagree, Sisyphus. I think Steinbrenner is a fan at heart. I have no idea if he cares about fans or not, but I believe he cares about winning more than making money. Of course he loves money, too, but he wouldn't make some of the deals he has through the years if his top priority were the books, imho.

He owns the most profitable team in professional sports. How much money would he dedicate to the payroll if he owned the Pirates?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6294
He can be a fan if he wants. He has all the money and the cash cow that is the Yankees. What's to stop him? He is still a dink.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Quote:
He owns the most profitable team in professional sports. How much money would he dedicate to the payroll if he owned the Pirates?


Thats an interesting idea, how about Steinbrenner giving some of his spare change to make the Pirates a contender.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Scoobiedoo and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits