Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Skipper John Russel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:34 pm 
Jeremy wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
What the heck do you people want? Did you want the Pirates to magically go to the WS because we got a new manager? I think Russell did a great job in managing a team that had gaping holes in starting pitching, and a complete offensive turnover after the deadline.

Thinks you may have overlooked:
1. Doumit played pretty much the entire season at Catcher and improved his skills markedly (point - Russell)
2. McLouth emerges as the star of the team, he just needed to be given the chance (point - Russell)
3. The clubhouse maintained a professional workmanlike attitude for the entire season according to Dejan (point - Russell)
4. Russell has a history of making younger players better, why should that change now?

Russell did a nice job for his first year, remember, he will develop to.

Doug M disagrees.

I respect the opinions/observations of both Doug M and Dejan. Only one can be the truth, though. I wasn't in the clubhouse so I have no way of knowing. The team appeared to quit in a couple games, but I think they hustled the vast majority of the games that I watched.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:51 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
What the heck do you people want? Did you want the Pirates to magically go to the WS because we got a new manager? I think Russell did a great job in managing a team that had gaping holes in starting pitching, and a complete offensive turnover after the deadline.

Thinks you may have overlooked:
1. Doumit played pretty much the entire season at Catcher and improved his skills markedly (point - Russell)
2. McLouth emerges as the star of the team, he just needed to be given the chance (point - Russell)
3. The clubhouse maintained a professional workmanlike attitude for the entire season according to Dejan (point - Russell)
4. Russell has a history of making younger players better, why should that change now?

Russell did a nice job for his first year, remember, he will develop to.

Doug M disagrees.

I respect the opinions/observations of both Doug M and Dejan. Only one can be the truth, though. I wasn't in the clubhouse so I have no way of knowing. The team appeared to quit in a couple games, but I think they hustled the vast majority of the games that I watched.

The day I take the word of a media hack over a player will be the first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Those statements are not in conflict.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:05 pm 

Quote:

Dejan is far from a media hack, a Bucco apologist, or a team chearleader. Can apply the same rationale to your posts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:14 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Right, because the subjective opinion of an emotionally-charged baseball player is much more trustworthy than the objective reporting of a beat writer who has a financial interest in getting the story right. I get it. :roll:

That sounds better than what I said...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:02 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Man the FO could tell you grass is blue and you'd believe it wouldn't you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

It might be Kentucky BLUE Grass!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Last I checked, Dejan Kovacevic was a beat writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, not a member of the Pirates front office. Once again, get your facts straight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:24 pm 

Here's a fact....you're an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:29 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
You're right.....loyalty is stupid. Maybe I should become a Yankees fan. At least then I'd know my owner gave s hit about the fans instead of having these robber barons we have now.

The owner of the Yankees doesn't give a damn about the fans. The owner of the Yankees cares about MONEY.

LOL.....I guess that's what they've won 5 World Series since he's been the owner.

The Nuttings care about money, the Steinbrenners care about winning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

LOL.....I guess that's what they've won 5 World Series since he's been the owner.

No, it's why they own the most profitable team in professional sports.

Quote:
The Nuttings care about money, the Steinbrenners care about winning.

Yes, as long as it keeps their property the most profitable team in professional sports. Do you think that Yankee Stadium is being torn down to make fans happier, or might it be because the new stadium will bring in more corporate revenue from its $800k per year boxes?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

It hurts you to be wrong, doesn't it? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

It hurts you to be wrong, doesn't it? :lol:

No more than it hurts you to be a raging jackass.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I disagree, Sisyphus. I think Steinbrenner is a fan at heart. I have no idea if he cares about fans or not, but I believe he cares about winning more than making money. Of course he loves money, too, but he wouldn't make some of the deals he has through the years if his top priority were the books, imho.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:09 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I disagree, Sisyphus. I think Steinbrenner is a fan at heart. I have no idea if he cares about fans or not, but I believe he cares about winning more than making money. Of course he loves money, too, but he wouldn't make some of the deals he has through the years if his top priority were the books, imho.

He owns the most profitable team in professional sports. How much money would he dedicate to the payroll if he owned the Pirates?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:11 pm 

He can be a fan if he wants. He has all the money and the cash cow that is the Yankees. What's to stop him? He is still a dink.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:06 am 

Quote:
He owns the most profitable team in professional sports. How much money would he dedicate to the payroll if he owned the Pirates?

Thats an interesting idea, how about Steinbrenner giving some of his spare change to make the Pirates a contender.