Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam LaRoche is a bum?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 pm 

I know he has few admirers on the board. But he has really done pretty well this season after his usual lousy April and May. He's hitting well over 300 since the All-Star break, has a total of 22 homers and 80 RBI's.

Someone get him a shrink and see what's in that head of his that stops up his hitting in the spring.

Post subject: Re: Adam LaRoche is a bum?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:31 pm 

He could have been close to 30 home runs had he not gotten hurt back near the trade deadline...he was killing the ball then too!!!

Just think because of The World Baseball Classic next season, April is a shorter month for all MLB teams next year...LaRoche can only struggle for 3 weeks instead of 4!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I know he has few admirers on the board. But he has really done pretty well this season after his usual lousy April and May. He's hitting well over 300 since the All-Star break, has a total of 22 homers and 80 RBI's.

Someone get him a shrink and see what's in that head of his that stops up his hitting in the spring.

He has relegated himself to believing its going to happen every year. He says "I tried everything," so its definitely in his mid throughout the offseason. He has to forget about it completely because once you set something in your mind thats negative its going to happen. Getting his mind right is half the battle. Its all mental, there is no other explanation for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:55 pm 

Or in Yogi's words "100% of it is half mental."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:58 pm 

Is he from somewhere warm? Is it possibly the cold weather in April and May that bothers him?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Is he from somewhere warm? Is it possibly the cold weather in April and May that bothers him?

I believe he grew up in Kansas or Missouri and still lives there...it gets quite cold there in the winter...

plus he played the beginning of his career in Atlanta...it's usually alot warmer there in April than in Pittsburgh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:48 pm 

To quote Charlie at bucsdugout.com:
Quote:
Deep thought: put LaRoche on a team like the Mets, and he'd be loved rather than maligned. If his annual second-half hitting binge occurred in the context of playoff runs every year, he'd suddenly seem like a star. He's not, but he's probably actually become underrated in Pittsburgh.

In the end, it's not about what a player does in April/May versus what he does in August/September; it's about what he does over the entire course of a season. Games won in August/September count just as much as games won in April/May.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:59 pm 

Willton wrote:
In the end, it's not about what a player does in April/May versus what he does in August/September; it's about what he does over the entire course of a season. Games won in August/September count just as much as games won in April/May.

That part you wrote there made me think of Carlos Beltran in the playoffs with Houston in 2004...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 pm 
I wouldn't call him a bum, but it's hard for me to get overly excited about his mid-May-through-Sept. tear when the April and early May games also count.

He's fine for now, but if they can move him for decent return or if they see a chance to upgrade, I hope they go for it.