Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nyjer Morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:09 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, I find it interesting that NH believes that Morgan belongs in the bigs, and has said so straight up.

I guess this is where Econo and Sisy call the PBC to tell him how wrong he is.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:51 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Well, I find it interesting that NH believes that Morgan belongs in the bigs, and has said so straight up.

ZM

Actually, I prefer email. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

I would argue the point that he belongs in the big leagues as a bench player only. Next season the Pirates may have to restructure a pretty darn good 2008 bench. Thats assuming we are going to lose some of these guys. Morgan is probably getting a look for that purpose. But why tell him that, make him work hard, keep developing. If NH were to come out and say Morgan is just a bench player, that would be counterproductive to his development process. If NH thinks Morgan is ACTUALLY a 600AB year starter, I would have to disagree with him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:53 pm 

His terrible baserunning judgement cost us two games this past week. Yesterday's gaffe in the 11th just made me sick. You should see my keyboard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

As you already know, it wouldn't be the first time I was right and the GM was wrong. But I didn't say that Morgan doesn't belong in the bigs. I said that his ceiling is pinch runner and occasional starter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:35 am 

sisyphus wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

As you already know, it wouldn't be the first time I was right and the GM was wrong. But I didn't say that Morgan doesn't belong in the bigs. I said that his ceiling is pinch runner and occasional starter.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:55 am 

Willton wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Willton wrote:
It's not due. When his August/September hitting extends for a longer period of time and for more than 100 plate appearances, and when he starts hitting more than 1 HR per year, then maybe credit will be due. It's certainly not due now.

Morgan is terrible now, he has been terrible in the past, and he will continue to be terrible in the future. I don't know why the Pirates are messing around with him.

It used to annoy me when you would refuse to admit you were wrong. Now i just find it amusing.

Whether or not he has a future is a reasonable debate.

But since he's been recalled, he is not terrible. Your "Morgan is terrible now" statement is simply untrue and makes you look foolish.

Really? Anyone else here think that my statement is "simply untrue and makes [me] look foolish," or is it just Elmer?

Willton, I agree with you on Morgan for the most part. I do not believe he will be come any sort of a regular player in the big leauges long-term and the Duffy/Redman comparissons are valid. However, I do agree with Elmer in that your statement that Morgan is "terrible right now" is not true.

Since he's been recalled, he has an OBP of .390. One could argue that that is great, good, average, decent, so-so, or not so hot. But I can't see how one could argue that AT THIS MOMENT he is terrible. His baserunning is terrible, I'll give you that, but his overall play is not terrible. Reaching base almost of every 10 at-bats does not make you terrible. I don't know if I would use the word foolish, but if you let a grudge with a player or poster interfere with your vision, it isn't good.