Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yost fired
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:29 pm 

Everyone probably heard by now, but Ned Yost got fired today. I have no idea what would motivate a team that is still in the midst of a playoff run to can their manager with fewer than fifteen games left in the regular season.

All year I've been thinking that the Pirates should emulate the Brewers in terms of management style, what with all the good homegrown talent they've got on their team, but I'd hate to see panic moves like this become part of NH's modus operandi if/when the Pirates reach contention again.

Post subject: Re: Yost fired
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:46 pm 

A head scratcher for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:00 pm 

Now if he was a manager with a pitcher who threw a no-hitter, it'd be completely different...

Sure makes that little hissy fit seem so important now...

Atleast former Bucco Dale Sveum is named the new manager...I bet he is given the official title in the offseason

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:09 pm 

Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:50 pm 

From one of the Milwaukee newspapers they believe this was a move by the owner as a last ditch effort to make the playoffs knowing they are most likely losing Sheets and Sabathia...

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1& ... 8&id=46177

Quote:
This had to come from the top, from owner Mark Attanasio. With the team collapsing, obviously a "now or never" decision was made for the club.

CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets are going to be lost to free agency after the season, and the Brewers gave up top prospect Matt LaPorta to get Sabathia. So, the team might take a step back for a year or so after this.

Thus, win now or maybe never get this close again. That's why I think it came from the top. I can't imagine Doug Melvin firing his manager with 12 games to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:59 pm 

Yost had real issues when it came to managing the bullpen as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:11 pm 

Reading some of the blogs on the Milwaukee sports pages, they are happy to see Yost go and wish it would have happened sooner...
They were commenting on how he always arrogant when it came to baseball towards fans and the media when questioning him on decisions...
They also were critical of him for batting Ricky Weeks and his .233 average in the leadoff spot most of the season too...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:33 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Reading some of the blogs on the Milwaukee sports pages, they are happy to see Yost go and wish it would have happened sooner...
They were commenting on how he always arrogant when it came to baseball towards fans and the media when questioning him on decisions...
They also were critical of him for batting Ricky Weeks and his .233 average in the leadoff spot most of the season too...

It sounds like there were some real reasons for firing Yost related to how he managed the team (unlike the Randolph firing, which seemed to be done purely for cosmetic reasons). But at this point, I don't see replacing him as doing anything more than having a completely distracting and destructive effect, especially given how young the Brewers are.

It's funny how the wheels came off after the Sabathia no-hit controversy, and I think Yost losing his temper with the media after that happened has a lot to do with the Brewers going into the tank. I mean, his team was in the middle of a playoff chase, and he totally flew off the handle because his pitcher was denied a no-hitter that is ultimately meaningless in the context of the Brewers' season anyway. It seems like the team lost its focus after that. If there was a time to fire Yost, it was right then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:49 pm 

As David Bowie once coined, Panic in Detroit er.. Milwaukee. Brewers will be back with us next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:59 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
As David Bowie once coined, Panic in Detroit er.. Milwaukee. Brewers will be back with us next year.

All the offense you can imagine led by a rotation of Dave Bush and Jeff Suppan...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:12 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

All the offense you can imagine led by a rotation of Dave Bush and Jeff Suppan...

I don't know, I hear that Gallardo feller might be purty good.

Assuming he rebounds from injury, of course.

I think the Brewers will still be ahead of us, and with more young talent, next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

Who the heck would have been a better leadoff hitter? The only regular who has a higher OBP is Fielder.

I just lost a lot of respect for Brewers fans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:24 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Who the heck would have been a better leadoff hitter? The only regular who has a higher OBP is Fielder.

I just lost a lot of respect for Brewers fans.

Fair enough about Weeks, but any moron can set a lineup in order of OBP. Milwaukee fans had a legitimate beef when it came to how he reacted towards the media, which I think belied an immaturity that made him inadequate to coach such a young team. I can respect that Yost wanted to stick up for his guy after the Sabbathia no-hitter debacle, but in my opinion he took his players' focus away from the bigger picture. When the 27 year-old pitcher who got robbed of the no-hitter is trying to act as the team's emotional stabilizing force, your team has problems.