Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doug M
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:07 pm 

You guys slay me. First, it's the manager's fault. Second, it's Menky's fault. Then, it's the fans' fault for not being "patient" after sixteen years. Then it's Jeff Andrews' fault. etc., etc., etc., etc.

The fact is this, until they spend some money, like everyone else has to, they are going to stink. Period. The "all prospects all the time" bunch likes to sit here and talk about how Nady and Bay were at the "end of their day", and "overrated". So, to "build for the future" we swapped them for a bunch of kids who can't hit their way out of a paper bag, and pitching that is every bit as bad as it was earlier in the year. But, now we have "prospects" that we can develop and trade for "more prospects".

It's time to crap or get off of the pot. Either move to another city, fold the franchise and get a AAA club, or get serious and spend the money you've got to spend. There is no cheap way out of this mess. Yet another coaching or managing change ain't going to do it.

Now, I know that the flamers are going to get on here and lay a guilt trip on me for being "disloyal", tell me to "not buy tickets", and tell me how unrealistic and unreasonable I am to expect a competitive product be put on the field. They will tell me how I need to be "patient" and how foolish I am to want to be entertained by watching competitive baseball. I will hear about how great they will be when all of these "studs" mature and become the next Johnny Bench or Bob Gibson. I probably should apologize in advance for being so hard to please, but I will not do that. If they are going to advertise themselves and promote themselves as a major league baseball team, then all of the "unreasonable" fans out there have a right to demand and expect better.

Talk is cheap. Seeing is believing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:14 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yep, tell that to the Twins, Indians, Yanks, O's, and numerous others.

Spending money is the key! :roll:

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:02 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
You guys slay me. First, it's the manager's fault. Second, it's Menky's fault. Then, it's the fans' fault for not being "patient" after sixteen years. Then it's Jeff Andrews' fault. etc., etc., etc., etc.

The fact is this, until they spend some money, like everyone else has to, they are going to stink. Period. The "all prospects all the time" bunch likes to sit here and talk about how Nady and Bay were at the "end of their day", and "overrated". So, to "build for the future" we swapped them for a bunch of kids who can't hit their way out of a paper bag, and pitching that is every bit as bad as it was earlier in the year. But, now we have "prospects" that we can develop and trade for "more prospects".

It's time to crap or get off of the pot. Either move to another city, fold the franchise and get a AAA club, or get serious and spend the money you've got to spend. There is no cheap way out of this mess. Yet another coaching or managing change ain't going to do it.

Now, I know that the flamers are going to get on here and lay a guilt trip on me for being "disloyal", tell me to "not buy tickets", and tell me how unrealistic and unreasonable I am to expect a competitive product be put on the field. They will tell me how I need to be "patient" and how foolish I am to want to be entertained by watching competitive baseball. I will hear about how great they will be when all of these "studs" mature and become the next Johnny Bench or Bob Gibson. I probably should apologize in advance for being so hard to please, but I will not do that. If they are going to advertise themselves and promote themselves as a major league baseball team, then all of the "unreasonable" fans out there have a right to demand and expect better.

We don't think you're unreasonable for wanting a competitive team. We think you're being unreasonable for expecting a cellar dwellar with an eviscerated farm system to become competitive overnight.

We also think you're being stupid if you think that purely spending money is going to solve the problem. What you are proposing is not a solution for becoming better; it's a tool for maintaining the status quo. There's a mountain of evidence that says your generalized proposal will not work (See the San Francisco Giants, Baltimore Orioles, and Seattle Mariners) and there is also plenty of evidence showing that the team's current approach does work (See the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Oakland A's, Minnesota Twins, Milwaukee Brewers, and Tampa Bay Rays).

If you think there's a problem, then provide us with a real solution. Otherwise all you're doing is bitching.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 am 
Willton wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

We don't think you're unreasonable for wanting a competitive team. We think you're being unreasonable for expecting a cellar dwellar with an eviscerated farm system to become competitive overnight.

We also think you're being stupid if you think that purely spending money is going to solve the problem. What you are proposing is not a solution for becoming better; it's a tool for maintaining the status quo. There's a mountain of evidence that says your generalized proposal will not work (See the San Francisco Giants, Baltimore Orioles, and Seattle Mariners) and there is also plenty of evidence showing that the team's current approach does work (See the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Oakland A's, Minnesota Twins, Milwaukee Brewers, and Tampa Bay Rays).

If you think there's a problem, then provide us with a real solution. Otherwise all you're doing is bitching.

When did Steve1118 say he wanted to be competitive "overnight"? I can't blame any fan that is fed up with the losing after 16 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 am 

Elmer wrote:
Willton wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

When did Steve1118 say he wanted to be competitive "overnight"? I can't blame any fan that is fed up with the losing after 16 years.

Yeah 16 years will get you fed up, its going to take more time to get them to the level of challenging year in and year out for a playoff spot...
The cupboards were bare...and are only now starting to get any sort of depth...

Sorry but the team is a few more years away

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...