Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doug M
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 am 

Let's change the subject. Look, I didn't like the trades, still don't, and don't like the result. But, it is done and there is no use in re-hashing it.

What is going on with Doug M.? With all of the young guys around, I really think is absolutely imperative to keep this guy here for a few years, he is such a positive influence and sets such an example.

I know they have mentioned extending contracts with him. Does anyone hear anything??

Post subject: Re: Doug M
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I agree...I'd love to have this guy back. He is a joy to watch play the game and I think he just might teach these young guys to play hard on every pitch.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:28 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
Let's change the subject. Look, I didn't like the trades, still don't, and don't like the result. But, it is done and there is no use in re-hashing it.

What is going on with Doug M.? With all of the young guys around, I really think is absolutely imperative to keep this guy here for a few years, he is such a positive influence and sets such an example.

I know they have mentioned extending contracts with him. Does anyone hear anything??

I'd love to have him back, but he'll probably choose to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm 

I would think he would stay here in pittsburgh he seems to like it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:30 am 
I'd love to have him back in the fold too. I'm fully expecting he won't be back though. I don't think they'll pay him more than like $1.5-$2 million, and it will cost more than that to keep him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:09 pm 

That's sort of the way I see it, too.

I think they would pay him the money....but with this youth movement I doubt he would believe there is much future for him here. With the buccos facing a few more rough years before these guys pan out, if they do, I would think he would like to move on to a more contending team.

I hope I'm wrong.

I do look for Wilson to stay around, though, the Bucs simply have no one in the wings to replace him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:43 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I'd love to have him back in the fold too. I'm fully expecting he won't be back though. I don't think they'll pay him more than like $1.5-$2 million, and it will cost more than that to keep him.

Money is not the the problem with Dougy, he wants to start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:32 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I would think he would stay here in pittsburgh he seems to like it.

He may like Pittsburgh, but he also likes winning, money and playing time, and he won't be getting those three things if he stays here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:57 am 

I think he liked it here the first half of the season, when we actually had a decent line-up and were hovering around .500. I can't imagine he likes it now that we are fielding the worst team in baseball and will keep doing so for the next few years at least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:54 pm 

Maybe he's your starting 1st baseman next season if they trade Adam LaRoche

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:10 pm 
nad69dan wrote:

I don't think he'll be a starter anywhere. He doesnt' have enough power to be a regular corner infielder or outfielder, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:57 pm 

Elmer wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I don't think he'll be a starter anywhere. He doesnt' have enough power to be a regular corner infielder or outfielder, in my opinion.

He would be a starter in Boston or NY because there is enough protection power-wise in those cities for him to play 1B every day.

Otherwise, I would love to have him in Pittsburgh, playing everywhere again, for whatever money he wants.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:45 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Elmer wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

He would be a starter in Boston or NY because there is enough protection power-wise in those cities for him to play 1B every day.

Otherwise, I would love to have him in Pittsburgh, playing everywhere again, for whatever money he wants.

Minky would only start for Boston if Kevin Youkilis and Sean Casey both dropped dead, and for the Yankees if Giambi and and Matsui dropped dead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 pm 
sisyphus wrote:

Minky would only start for Boston if Kevin Youkilis and Sean Casey both dropped dead, and for the Yankees if Giambi and and Matsui dropped dead.[/quote]

Ha, great post. He just isn't a big league starter any longer. He's an ideal bench guy, but not an everyday starter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:19 am 

Quote:
Minky would only start for Boston if Kevin Youkilis and Sean Casey both dropped dead, and for the Yankees if Giambi and and Matsui dropped dead.

Ahh yah... thats my point. Doug is not going to be a starter anywhere, Boston and NY were the only place he COULD start, but they're covered at 1B. Maybe I should spell it out a bit more, I thought my point would have been understood.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:13 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:

Ahh yah... thats my point. Doug is not going to be a starter anywhere, Boston and NY were the only place he COULD start, but they're covered at 1B. Maybe I should spell it out a bit more, I thought my point would have been understood.

Oops, sorry. But you did say WOULD start, not COULD.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:16 am 

With all of the kids they have playing now, I am convinced that they need to keep Doug M. now more than ever. It will be very telling, to me, if they let him walk.

Those kids are going to need his presence...his fiestiness, his boots up the butt if someone is dogging it, his presence in the clubhouse. He can't play every day, although he no doubt would like to, his age just won't allow it. He could share first with Adam LaRoche, and that would be a decent first base combo.

He lights a fire under everyone, and doesn't let anyone get down. They are going to need that now more than ever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:52 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
With all of the kids they have playing now, I am convinced that they need to keep Doug M. now more than ever. It will be very telling, to me, if they let him walk.

Those kids are going to need his presence...his fiestiness, his boots up the butt if someone is dogging it, his presence in the clubhouse. He can't play every day, although he no doubt would like to, his age just won't allow it. He could share first with Adam LaRoche, and that would be a decent first base combo.

He lights a fire under everyone, and doesn't let anyone get down. They are going to need that now more than ever.

I generally agree, though it helps your case that he can also be somewhat productive off the bench. If he were worthless as a player, it wouldn't matter how fiesty he was, we should show him the door.

But DM has a finite value, and the Pirates have to recognize it. I would like to see him back, but not at anything more than $2 mil. We'll see what he is willing to accept, I guess. If he gets more than that elsewhere, I can't fault the Pirates for not overpaying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:

As much as I like the guy, he's a backup corner man with no power. Finding backup corner men with no power is easy to do. We've probably had fifteen of them over the last 10 years. And it's most likely that he doesn't want to be a backup who gets few at bats for a bad team. He'd rather be a backup who gets few at bats with a team that can contend.

Quote:

Really? In case you've missed it, this team has lost 90 games with Minky lighting fires under it. They can lose 90 without him as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:01 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

As much as I like the guy, he's a backup corner man with no power. Finding backup corner men with no power is easy to do. We've probably had fifteen of them over the last 10 years. And it's most likely that he doesn't want to be a backup who gets few at bats for a bad team. He'd rather be a backup who gets few at bats with a team that can contend.

Quote:

Really? In case you've missed it, this team has lost 90 games with Minky lighting fires under it. They can lose 90 without him as well.

Doug can only do so much. We need a manger who does more than steal paycheck from the ballclub before we see anything resembling growth.