Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are you kidding me?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:41 am 

From the PG Notebook today:

Quote:
Marc Cuseta, Alvarez's former coach on a New York City summer-league team who talks regularly to Alvarez and his father, was reported in yesterday's editions of The New York Times saying the Pirates were unfair in offering $6 million to Alvarez, the No. 2 overall pick, while catcher Buster Posey, the San Francisco Giants' pick at No. 5, received $6.2 million.

"He's obviously in a situation where, to be honest with you, they're trying to take advantage of a lower socioeconomic kid," Cuseta told the newspaper. "It's certainly not because he's not well represented. He's represented by the best agent in the history of baseball."

Can the Pirates go any lower? Now, they are racists.

Poor Pedro is being taken advantage of because he is only getting $6 million.
Sorry, but Boras is spinning this and the kid and his people are buying it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08256/911652-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Are you kidding me?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:46 am 

madness

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:17 am 

It's becoming difficult to keep an open mind about Alvarez and the kind of person he is when this stuff continues and continues. Is any of this helping him at all, anywhere?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 am 

I read an article somewhere (maybe the PG, can't remember) talking about how Mario Lemieux went through a similar dispute when he first signed, faced similar animosity before playing his first game, and then promptly scored four goals in his first game, pretty much erasing all memory of any ill will.

My bet is that Boras thinks that's the worst case scenario for Alvarez right now, is that he ends up playing for the Pirates, lighting it up, and having this all be forgotten. The best case scenario is more money.

The arbitration hearing was supposed to be Wednesday, anyone hear anything about it? I heard before the hearing that a ruling may not come down until October.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:23 am 

If Alvarez was not satisfied with the Pirates offer, why didn't he negotiate? According to Dejan, there basically were no negotiations. I bet the Pirates would have gone higher. And why did he accept an offer that he felt was not good enough?

And of course, why did he not honor an agreement once he made it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:17 pm 

Once this thing is settled, and if Alvarez is signed, besides wanting to kick Boras in the nuts and punch him in the mouth...

Alvarez better be in the best shape of his life!!!

Cuz this kid has an uphill climb until he proves he's an all-star...

His first game in the majors better be a 4 homerun night, some awesome defense at third, rescues a basket of kittens from a fire prior to the game, delivers a baby during the 7th inning stretch, and cures cancer in the bottom of the 8th

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 pm 

>chuckling<

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
It's becoming difficult to keep an open mind about Alvarez and the kind of person he is when this stuff continues and continues. Is any of this helping him at all, anywhere?

Here's how to keep an open mind about Alvarez. Stop attributing the things his neighbors say to him.