Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Amusing article
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:04 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Because you are flat wrong.

They weren't "majority" owners before. McClatchey had two votes for every one of the others on the board, and until near the end, had an ally in Doug Beaver (sp), so that his voting block at a minimum was 3-2 once Bob Nutting (very late in the game) was brought in by Ogden.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:01 pm 
ZelieMike wrote:
Because you are flat wrong.

They weren't "majority" owners before. McClatchey had two votes for every one of the others on the board, and until near the end, had an ally in Doug Beaver (sp), so that his voting block at a minimum was 3-2 once Bob Nutting (very late in the game) was brought in by Ogden.

ZM

That is simply not true. McClatchy did not have "2 votes for every one of the others on the board" ... he had two total votes while the others had 1. He needed 1 other owners votes to get anything approved. Read the articles I posted. This is explained.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

that is what I said, and why I mentioned Beaver. McClatchey had his block, and had his way. He was the CEO, not the Nuttings who simply approved budgets and let McClatchey operate... as good owners do with CEO's.

I've read all the articles. And, quite frankly dismiss anything Rossi, Starkey, and most of Smizick' stuff.

They have agenda's, and are opinion pieces. Not beat pieces.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:23 pm 
ZelieMike wrote:
that is what I said, and why I mentioned Beaver. McClatchey had his block, and had his way. He was the CEO, not the Nuttings who simply approved budgets and let McClatchey operate... as good owners do with CEO's.

I've read all the articles. And, quite frankly dismiss anything Rossi, Starkey, and most of Smizick' stuff.

They have agenda's, and are opinion pieces. Not beat pieces.

ZM

Rossi's stuff comes from when he was a beat writer.

You said that McClatchey got 2 votes for every one of the other board members. That's not true. He got 2 votes TOTAL while other board members got one. There's a big difference. He didn't have total block . . he needed one other (that's not much but still) owner to side with him.

Just trying to make sure things are accurate.

This article here by Dejan describes the old board configuration:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07015/753923-63.stm

"In the previous order, Bob and Ogden Nutting each had one vote. That gave them two of five votes, as McClatchy had two because of his role as managing general partner, and Beaver had one." McClatchy had 2 of 5. He still needed one of Bob, Ogden or Beaver to vote "his way" to get anything done.

No board gives a CEO total control -- defeats the purpose of a board.

Also, most telling is this quote, yes, it's from McClatchy but it is written by Dejan so that takes the Smizik/Starkey element out"

Bob Nutting and McClatchy dismissed the relevance of breaking down who controls the board because, as McClatchy put it, "Our board never has had a single dissenting vote on any matter, so it's a waste of time to focus on that."

My point remains, and is again backed up, that the Nuttings -- including Bob Nutting -- do deserve some share of the accountability for what went wrong in the past. Not all of it, but some of it. They were voting members on the board.

FWIW, I wasn't really referring to you in this post ZM. You seem to be a balanced poster who will praise where it is deserved and criticize where it is deserved.