Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Dutch live as a Pirates Fanatic..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:27 pm 

Just love too write this one down to share this one with u guys..

At the age of 10 or 11 (1987, 32 right now) i got my first real taste of american sports on a small tv-channel (sportnet)
with a game of the St Louis Blues vs Pittsburgh Penguins where i directly fell in love with the black n gold, the no 66 and
the for kids lovely penguins logo.. the pens won that game 6-5 i guess and my love was born..

That year i found out by short fragments on CNN europe sports with 1 minute each hour about our pittsburgh steelers and
pittsburgh PIRATES.. seeing the scores flashing by and showing some fast highlights... Pirates triple play vs Cardinals,
Doug Drabek tossing a 1-hit shutout.. Bobby Walk great perfomances.. but all in 1 minute of sports each hour on CNN..

I only could see some action on that sportschannel and CNN and a live broadcast of the superbowl.. but man i was hungry for more pirates news.. the years after i found out to listen to the AIR FORCE NETWORK in germany (SPENGDALEM AIRBASE) where my parents vacation-cottage was stationed.. man couldnt wait to go there in summer for 4 weeks..
listening from 1988 till 1992 about the magical pirates of Jim Leyland.. as a kid going to bed early, wake up in the middle of the night listening to that pirates team and listening live to that NLCS game where the braves got that
famous action at the plate... :?

In those years slowly internet became a normal standard thing to get used too.. tv channels broadcasted a bit more hockey and football but baseball (even holland is the best of europe) was not on... But slowly by internet i could see
the scores on daily basis, finding out that in amsterdam baseball cards were sold @ a ridiculous price for a 15 year old kid.. but slowly my collection was growing, getting my first ANDY VAN SLYKE card (my favorite), my first complete pirates set.. and MLB.com became better and better...

Those years i was lucky to already see the stanleycup live, so the 2 pens stanleycups i have seen live..

In 1995 and those years i could follow everything by internet and radio broadcasts.. Sega introduced the game consoles and ea sports NHL95, Madden and a crazy MLB game.. with my best friend we played baseball on a little park
1 on 1, always Pirates vs Dodgers with both having the best players!! when it snowed, rained, to hot, we were playing,
where all other kids played soccer.. when night fell we jumped on our SEGA to play every game in the NHL95 game and on the PC we plays TONYLARUSSA baseball with all the baseballlegends..! turning those rosters into rosters of those days... just selecting baseballcards for our teams... But still there was no live TVbroadcasts of the steelers, pirates and penguins..

When MLB introduced MLB.TV, the sky opened for me.. finally after 13 yeaers or so i could finally see my pirates play
on regular basis with bad connections and bad resolutions.. but i had my hobby for the first time live, getting up every night at 1 o'clock.. still NFL was tough to see, due to their late bringing of internet television and luckily hockey was more europeanminded, that the stanley cups and NHL seasons where broadcasted on several channels..

In midst 2005 a dutched TV distributor launced NASN and got live MLB, NHL & NFL games.. and that was the first time
i watched my first steelers game and we all now how that 2005/06 season ended.. painted my house, husky and car
black n gold, got my parents and brother come over and watched my first playoff season of 2006 how sweet..

But Back to the pirates.. After all those loosing seasons i still are so badly fan of that great ballclub, that i never
ever had a thought about turning my back to them.. they gave me so much pleasure and fun all those years..
man i easily can handle a few more loosing seasons... Man i am so F!@#ing jealous of u guys who been to PNC
and seen at least 1 game.. coming to america never crossed my path yet, but now as owner of my new company,
plans in the close future are there to visit pittsburgh, pittsburgh and pittsburgh.... and anybody on this board being there as well i will drink a heineken on them

MAN i Love the PIRATES

Hugo AKA Piratesfan.from.nl

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: My Dutch live as a Pirates Fanatic..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:29 pm 

Wow!!! Awesome post!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:38 pm 

That was a great post, I am very happy that you decided to root for the teams of Pittsburgh, and I hope more than anything we can share in a MLB champtionship as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:40 pm 

the best funny story about this is that when i was 15 i wrote all the professional sports a letter if
they could sent anything team-related to me.. all NHL, NFL and MLB teams and got only 3 replies..

the best ever.. the pens replied with a baseball cap, the pirates with a season calendar and
of all great franchises ever the QUEBEC NORDIQUES gave me a shirt..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 pm 

Great post! If you ever make it to Pittsburgh, your first game at PNC Park is on me. Just so long as if I ever make it to your side of the pond, you give me a tour of some of your fine, uh, coffee shops. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:48 pm 

BBF thats a great deal..!

and its not the :mrgreen: coffeeshops :mrgreen: only, but also the great outdoor danceparties,
the loads of free policies and all that makes Holland great... u definately have a place to stay BBF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 am 

I love those types of stories. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:55 am 

Do you guys not have any great pirates stories of themselves? or are those already written somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41 am 

Great story, Hugo! I am a Pirates fan in part because my brother loved the Cardinals and he always picked on me (we grew up in Missouri.) I don't follow other Pittsburgh teams like you.

Have you seen clips of Bert Blylevin? He's one of my favorite all time Pirates. I talked to him over the phone while he pitched for Cleveland (during an afternoon local TV talk show.) Hij was geboren in Nederland. (He was born in the Netherlands! :D )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 am 

Ollie wrote:
Great story, Hugo! I am a Pirates fan in part because my brother loved the Cardinals and he always picked on me (we grew up in Missouri.) I don't follow other Pittsburgh teams like you.

Have you seen clips of Bert Blylevin? He's one of my favorite all time Pirates. I talked to him over the phone while he pitched for Cleveland (during an afternoon local TV talk show.) Hij was geboren in Nederland. (He was born in the Netherlands! :D )

If I remember correctly, his name was Rik Aalbert Blyleven.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:42 am 

The archive of great stories bit the dust during the last crash of the old site. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:57 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Ollie wrote:

If I remember correctly, his name was Rik Aalbert Blyleven.

Well Big Bert is 1 of the most respected players here in dutch baseball..
i know i got one of his last baseballcards that was made.. have to look it up though.. as i completely should with my cards..

what is your guys best and proudest card that u have?? Mine are the A-rod signed UD collectors rookie signed card and my Donruss Griffey Rookie card..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:07 am 

I have a Bob Skinner card from the sixties. My brother received it from a friend I think. I didn't know Skinner as a player, only as the Pirates third base coach during the seventies.

I love my Topps cards of Willie Stargell, Omar Moreno, and John Candelaria. I only have one Pirates card from the past decade (Paul Maholm.)

Do any of you guys have this card? I didn't get it. I liked Fernando.

Attachments:
Fernando Gonzalez.jpg
Fernando Gonzalez.jpg [ 15.86 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:19 pm 

I have a Roberto Clemente rookie card. Before you get too excited, it is beat up and not in very good shape. That said, I paid over 50 bucks for it. A mint one goes for thousands. Over my budget.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 am 

wow ! superb post !

it could be mine :oops:

it s so hard to live so far from PNC !

bucs in 2016 ;)