Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accountability & Pride Sermon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:39 am 

Nutting said. "I hope that what they have seen over the course of the last year are real changes. We've committed to providing the tools, and we're beginning to see those tools put in place." ..... "Now, the responsibility is shifting onto the field," Nutting said. "It's time for everyone to perform."

Last year, Nutting spoke only a few words to the players, then yielded the floor so a new "We Will" marketing video could be played.

Yesterday, Nutting opened the 30-minute meeting with a sermon about accountability and pride. There again was a video, but this time it was a montage of the franchise's World Series moments and greatest players.

************************************************************************************
So this past spring the players hear this. Think they buy into the "tools put in place" BS? Accountability & Pride? How proud do you feel? Who makes Nutting accountable?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 53641.html

Post subject: Re: Accountability & Pride Sermon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:12 am 

hey maybe a new slogan for bullishhitter!! in 2009

"THINK NEGATIVE"

"DIE before TRYING"

anybody?

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:14 am 
Those comments do seem extra silly given the product on the field this year. It's actually worse than last year. Nutting is horrible and certainly one of the reasons for the teams struggles. He might be too much to overcome.

That said, Coonelly and NH are in their first years. I'm still cautiously optimistic that those two MIGHT be able to put together a winner in spite of Nutting. They've both done some good things (and some bad things), so the jury is still out. Hopefully next year's team will be significantly better. I'm willing to wait and see what they do this offseason, etc., before I totally make up my mind on those two.

My overall point I guess is that I agree Nutting sucks and deserves all the criticism you can come up with, but we don't know yet if his staff sucks or not. Hold tight just a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:29 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Those comments do seem extra silly given the product on the field this year. It's actually worse than last year. Nutting is horrible and certainly one of the reasons for the teams struggles. He might be too much to overcome.

Quote:
"We're always going to have to live within market-appropriate means," Nutting said

Translation...we are always going to be a low payroll team(but very profitable)

Silly comments? You forgot he has the best management team in MLB, maybe all of sports.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:02 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Quote:
"We're always going to have to live within market-appropriate means," Nutting said

Silly comments? You forgot he has the best management team in MLB, maybe all of sports.

My bad, lol.

Calling a team that has lost as long as the Pirates have "the best management team in MLB, maybe all of sports" is laughable. It very well could be if they turn this mess around, but you've got to win before you start saying crap like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:54 am 

Elmer wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Quote:

My bad, lol.

Calling a team that has lost as long as the Pirates have "the best management team in MLB, maybe all of sports" is laughable. It very well could be if they turn this mess around, but you've got to win before you start saying crap like that.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, taking a jab at the homer attitude of many people on this board.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 am 

Yes that is the prevailing attitude on this board unfortunately. Come on here with any other outlook other the fact that this team can do no wrong and that winning is right around the corner so we have no right as fans to be upset and that 16 seasons of record breaking sports futility don't matter and get several haughty, snide remarks questioning your intelligence. I'm glad to see that other attitudes are coming out of the woodwork however.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:57 pm 

bullish for president :lol: :lol:

this organization sucks and i can 't understand why the fans in pittsburgh seem totally apathetic !

give 16 years of failure to a professional soccer team in europe and you will see your fans ready to burn the mayor house .

BUCS in 2018.........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:08 pm 

FANCH wrote:

http://www.news3online.com/index.php?co ... 54afr9U5Fx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 am 
FANCH wrote:

this organization sucks and i can 't understand why the fans in pittsburgh seem totally apathetic !

give 16 years of failure to a professional soccer team in europe and you will see your fans ready to burn the mayor house .

BUCS in 2018.........

Most fans are not that way. This board isn't a cross section of Pirate fans overall. It's pretty much the loyals who have stuck it out and the apologists who see no wrong with the Pirates no matter what.

It's sad to see, but there are tons of fans and former fans around town who have simply given up. They don't go, they don't read the articles, they don't talk Pirates with their friends and they don't go to message boards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:16 pm 

Elmer wrote:
FANCH wrote:

BUCS in 2018.........

Most fans are not that way. This board isn't a cross section of Pirate fans overall. It's pretty much the loyals who have stuck it out and the apologists who see no wrong with the Pirates no matter what.

It's sad to see, but there are tons of fans and former fans around town who have simply given up. They don't go, they don't read the articles, they don't talk Pirates with their friends and they don't go to message boards.

Or they've started rooting for other teams like the Red Sox or Yankees.