Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keith Law's view
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:18 am 

I was listening to Joe Starkey this past weekend and he had Keith Law give his thoughts on the messed up contract dispute. He thinks the Pirates and MLB are clearly in violation, thus the player will be sent back to the draft pool. Like me, he stated that he does not know the reason why Boras is using this loophole. He does not see anyone gaining from this. Boras is supposed to get as much money for his client and for now, he may not get dime one.
He also ripped the Pirates for yanking the rug out from under KC and their player.

So lets see.. Nuttings best management team in MLB, maybe all of pro sports, has sent the MLB team on a downward spiral, the so called prospects are for the most part stinking up the joint and they screwed up signing a so called top talent draft pick. The team just tied an all time losing streak and its a lock that they will break the record next year.
I'll give you Kool-Aid drinkers credit. As you continue to let Nutting swat you and you keep replying back with "thank you sir may I have another" is evidence that the statement that "There's a sucker born every minute" is so very very true and keeps every snake oil salesmans hopes up!

Post subject: Re: Keith Law's view
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:24 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
I was listening to Joe Starkey this past weekend and he had Keith Law give his thoughts on the messed up contract dispute. He thinks the Pirates and MLB are clearly in violation, thus the player will be sent back to the draft pool. Like me, he stated that he does not know the reason why Boras is using this loophole. He does not see anyone gaining from this. Boras is supposed to get as much money for his client and for now, he may not get dime one.
He also ripped the Pirates for yanking the rug out from under KC and their player.

So lets see.. Nuttings best management team in MLB, maybe all of pro sports, has sent the MLB team on a downward spiral, the so called prospects are for the most part stinking up the joint and they screwed up signing a so called top talent draft pick. The team just tied an all time losing streak and its a lock that they will break the record next year.
I'll give you Kool-Aid drinkers credit. As you continue to let Nutting swat you and you keep replying back with "thank you sir may I have another" is evidence that the statement that "There's a sucker born every minute" is so very very true and keeps every snake oil salesmans hopes up!

Has semptember already finished?
Do You and Keith date eachother?
Why don't you root for KC?
Does a duck swim circles if he has 1 leg?
Does a sheep shrink when it rains?

lets just wait Bullish and when you are right i am the first to admit i was wrong

cheerio.. let's grab a heineken.. beer for winners!!
and suckers every minute... yeah.. 50% is female :lol:

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

lets just wait Bullish and when you are right i am the first to admit i was wrong

Dont give BH the time of day...it'd be of great interest if you would use the friend and foe feature and ignore his ass

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:33 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

Dont give BH the time of day...it'd be of great interest if you would use the friend and foe feature and ignore his ass

am too short on this board to make that step yet, but it will be in my upcoming thoughts

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

1. I don't give a rat's backside what Keith Law thinks. This guy used to work in the front office of a MLB team, didn't cut it, left and now earns a living commenting on what teams should or should not do. He reminds me of the so-called expert witnesses that I see in court who want to be critical of a product's design when they can't cut it in the real engineering world. I'm waiting to see what the arbitrator says.

2. Let's say that these are the facts: Boras holding firm, Pirates offer $6M; Boras leaves it up to Alvarez; Pirates management senses that the midnight deadline will pass and they haven't finalized an agreement; Pirates management contacts MLB and obtains an extension past the midnight deadline (as others likely have over the years); Alvarez and Pirates reach an agreement for $6M guaranteed. Let's assume that the arbitrator upholds the deal and Alvarez is a Pirate. He was a Boras player and one of the highest rated prospects (if not the highest) this year. If the Pirates astutely obtained an extension of time and that extension ended up being the difference between obtaining Alvarez and having nothing for the #1 pick this year . . . doesn't that undermine your "Management are idiots" argument?

From a legal perspective, this case intrigues me. I previously wrote what I believed were the possible outcomes from a legal background. As for K.C., they shouldn't be complaining about Pittsburgh. If the Buccos were late, so were the Royals. That is consistency. And, if I'm Coonelly and Huntington, your are damn right that I would be pointing out that the Royals signed their prospect AFTER the Pirates did. Any suggestions or insinuation by Law that the Pirates somehow should have taken some proverbial higher road and not pointed out that the Royals signed their prospect later is ludicrous and - at least in my opinion - calls Law's credibility further into question.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:01 pm 

I would much rather have our kool-aid than your well-aged whine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:01 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
From a legal perspective, this case intrigues me. I previously wrote what I believed were the possible outcomes from a legal background. As for K.C., they shouldn't be complaining about Pittsburgh. If the Buccos were late, so were the Royals. That is consistency. And, if I'm Coonelly and Huntington, your are damn right that I would be pointing out that the Royals signed their prospect AFTER the Pirates did. Any suggestions or insinuation by Law that the Pirates somehow should have taken some proverbial higher road and not pointed out that the Royals signed their prospect later is ludicrous and - at least in my opinion - calls Law's credibility further into question.

Since you have a legal perspective, what is the motive? Thats what I dont understand. If the contract is void noboady wins. (except Nutting saving 6 mil) You would think from Boras's perspective, its money. If so how does he gain?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

Dear Dipshit,

The Pirates did not violate any rule. It is impossible for the Pirates or any team to violate that rule. All they can do is inform the commissioners office once an agreement is reached. The rest is up to Selig.

P.S. - Screw the Royals, Keith Law, and all of the other Royals fans who are whining.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:13 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Since you have a legal perspective, what is the motive? Thats what I dont understand. If the contract is void noboady wins. (except Nutting saving 6 mil) You would think from Boras's perspective, its money. If so how does he gain?

The motive is quite simple. Boras is taking a shot at having the arbitrator overturn the section of the agreement that contains the deadline. He probably knows that it's a longshot, but what the hell? He thinks it's well worth the risk of millions of dollars of his clients money to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
[Dear Dipshit,

The Pirates did not violate any rule. It is impossible for the Pirates or any team to violate that rule. All they can do is inform the commissioners office once an agreement is reached. The rest is up to Selig.

P.S. - Screw the Royals, Keith Law, and all of the other Royals fans who are whining.

Dear Nice Guy
Coonelly previously served as a Senior Vice President in the Commissioner's Office, where he was in charge of various matters including arbitration hearings and draft bonuses. He knows what the procedure is.
Procedure was not followed. The Pirates did not request an extension. They along with mlb are in violation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
[Dear Dipshit,

Dear Nice Guy
Coonelly previously served as a Senior Vice President in the Commissioner's Office, where he was in charge of various matters including arbitration hearings and draft bonuses. He knows what the procedure is.
Procedure was not followed. The Pirates did not request an extension. They along with mlb are in violation.

You have no evidence to prove your point. Bald assertions get you nowhere.