Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
I gotta wear shades!!!!!!!!

Hey I am sorry for my negativity the last few days. How could I not see that the Pirate organization is ready to turn the corner and become a successfule franchise. Wow, tonight's game in Houston just proved how wrong I was!

1. Rookie pitcher on the mound? Bucs make him look like Cy Young!

2. Bullpen can't get key outs as usual.

3. Not only do we have one LaRoche brother who plays like a total POS for the first two months of the season, now we have the second, who is injury prone and plays like a total POS for the entire season. Yeah that .170 average really makes me see pennant contender sometime before Sarah Palin HEADS the Republican ticket.

4. Wow, that Moss kid and that .237 average and those towering six HRs. Man, and all we gave up was Jason Bay for him. What a steal!

5. Njer Morgan and his exquisite base running. Yeah, that kid will be a fixture in our line up for sometime!

Man, how could I have been sooooooooo wrong about the future of this team? What an idiot I feel like right now!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am
Posts: 391
Shhhh..you don't want to ruin the faith for the eternal sunshine of the spotless minds who'll tell you to keep the faith, hope is right around the corner! What do you expect? This team quit at the beginning of August. And yes, to me, 7 games under is still 7 games under but it is easier to be optimistic next year about a team that finished 7 games under rather than one that finished anywhere from 20-30 games under.
I'm tired of this B.S., 16 years is too long to wait for even a sniff at a winning record, wake me when they're winning again. Until then I'll save my enthusiasm and hometown pride for teams like the Steelers, the Penguins and Panther hoops that take pride in providing a winning tradition that Pittsburghers come to expect in their teams.
Maybe in Cleveland and Seattle where nobody wins anything it would be different, but when the Steelers win every year and the Penguins are about to become a dynasty and Pitt basketball is solid every year, the Pirates are just a bit hard to stomach.

_________________
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?"-- UPPMB


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Gentlemen, nobody is forcing you to watch games. If you don't like what's happening, turn off the television.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
What the heck's wrong with me. Now, finally I see the light. Thank you guys for showing me the error of my thinking. Wish we had those guys back so we could continue not to win for many years to come.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
You are absolutely right, Corsair. I can't believe that a 24 year old seeing his first regular action as a big league starting outfielder isn't hitting .280 with 15 homeruns already. Jesus Christ, what a bum. I also heard that he eats babies, but that's unverified.

And that Nyjer Morgan kid...well, you know how all of us here have been advocating that he be the cornerstone of our future, so every mistake that he makes is a blow to the organization.

As for our third baseman, you are right, there's another 24 year old who has a whopping total of 249 AB's in his career. He hasn't put up good numbers thus far, and there is absolutely no reason to expect him to improve.

And your point about the bullpen not getting key outs last night...I couldn't believe how they got smacked around- to the tune of ZERO runs. We'll never win with those guys. And every astute GM knows that the key to turning around a losing franchise is relief pitching.

How could we have all been so wrong about this team? All we needed was Randy Wolf and LaTroy Hawkins and we'd be in the wild card race right now!!! How I wish we had the genius abilities of Ed Wade working for the Pirates right now. And to think, ONE SINGLE GAME (that we perhaps win if Laroche's double doesn't bounce over the fence) was enough to draw all of these conclusions! How foolish we have all been. We should have broken this string of losing with an 82 win season, and lost Bay and Nady the right way in 2010, with nothing to show for them, and started our NEW 16 year slide.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Willton wrote:
Gentlemen, nobody is forcing you to watch games. If you don't like what's happening, turn off the television.


So what does it mean if you dont like what's happening and continue to watch the games?

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7311
Here's to 16 losing seasons media hype and their followers...


Attachments:
Mooning_gnome.jpg
Mooning_gnome.jpg [ 23.57 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...
Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:25 pm
Posts: 630
Location: Ede, The Netherlands
BBF wrote:
You are absolutely right, Corsair. I can't believe that a 24 year old seeing his first regular action as a big league starting outfielder isn't hitting .280 with 15 homeruns already. Jesus Christ, what a bum. I also heard that he eats babies, but that's unverified.

And that Nyjer Morgan kid...well, you know how all of us here have been advocating that he be the cornerstone of our future, so every mistake that he makes is a blow to the organization.

As for our third baseman, you are right, there's another 24 year old who has a whopping total of 249 AB's in his career. He hasn't put up good numbers thus far, and there is absolutely no reason to expect him to improve.

And your point about the bullpen not getting key outs last night...I couldn't believe how they got smacked around- to the tune of ZERO runs. We'll never win with those guys. And every astute GM knows that the key to turning around a losing franchise is relief pitching.

How could we have all been so wrong about this team? All we needed was Randy Wolf and LaTroy Hawkins and we'd be in the wild card race right now!!! How I wish we had the genius abilities of Ed Wade working for the Pirates right now. And to think, ONE SINGLE GAME (that we perhaps win if Laroche's double doesn't bounce over the fence) was enough to draw all of these conclusions! How foolish we have all been. We should have broken this string of losing with an 82 win season, and lost Bay and Nady the right way in 2010, with nothing to show for them, and started our NEW 16 year slide.


;) How long are u on this board BBF?? ;)

i am glad u said it..! completely true

_________________
If You Ain't Dutch, You Ain't Much!!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
Corsair wrote:
I gotta wear shades!!!!!!!!

Hey I am sorry for my negativity the last few days. How could I not see that the Pirate organization is ready to turn the corner and become a successfule franchise. Wow, tonight's game in Houston just proved how wrong I was!

1. Rookie pitcher on the mound? Bucs make him look like Cy Young!

2. Bullpen can't get key outs as usual.

3. Not only do we have one LaRoche brother who plays like a total POS for the first two months of the season, now we have the second, who is injury prone and plays like a total POS for the entire season. Yeah that .170 average really makes me see pennant contender sometime before Sarah Palin HEADS the Republican ticket.

4. Wow, that Moss kid and that .237 average and those towering six HRs. Man, and all we gave up was Jason Bay for him. What a steal!

5. Njer Morgan and his exquisite base running. Yeah, that kid will be a fixture in our line up for sometime!

Man, how could I have been sooooooooo wrong about the future of this team? What an idiot I feel like right now!


Anyone who uses a sample size of one game to prove a broader point should be ignored.

By the way, I already understand the irony in making this reply. No need to point it out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:28 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
I watch because I like to watch baseball.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I watch because I like to watch baseball.

You can watch the D-Backs or any other team if you just like baseball. Fans watch "their" team because of a fondness or emotional attachment. The reasons vary but its not just because its baseball.

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
I do watch other teams. Yankees, Twins, RaysTigers and Cardinals......for assorted different reasons. I watch the Cards and Tigers because I know two guys. I suppose if they have a bad night or series, according to your logic, I should stop watching. I watch the Twins because I used to watch them as a kid at my grandparents. I watch the Yankees because they were the only team on cable TV in the 70's and 80's.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
Hey, don't worry guys, tonight's game just renewed my faith. Yeah, I am so proud of this team and this organization. Way to bounce back. Way to show that professionalism and pride we heard about last winter!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am
Posts: 391
If you want pride and professionalism from your Pittsburgh sports teams, that all left PNC Park and went to Boston and New York, I'd recommend watching NBC on Sunday around 8:00 for pride and professionalism in Pittsburgh sports. These guys in the Pirate clubhouse play like they don't give a shit, its to the point of beating a dead horse, but the fact that every time I write a post like this 5 or 6 guys on here rush to their defense, which confuses yet interests me as to why and at least keeps me entertained. Makes for very interesting reading watching the followers try to justify this current group.

_________________
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?"-- UPPMB


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
BBF wrote:

How could we have all been so wrong about this team? All we needed was Randy Wolf and LaTroy Hawkins and we'd be in the wild card race right now!!! How I wish we had the genius abilities of Ed Wade working for the Pirates right now. .


As I pointed out in another post, the Astros were the laughing stock of this town after the Bucs sweep. You should have heard the media down here when they went out and got those pitchers.

Their manager did not give up on the season.

They had an owner who was not afraid to spend money

Yeah, the Astros suck so bad since then, and I love how the Bucs are the talk of baseball with their excellent play since then.

It all comes down to another Bucco fire sale at the deadline. Nutting's orders. God forbid he might actually have to kick in some of his own money, while he is buying ski resorts.

Watch for the 20 million dollar payroll next year, after winter of nothing, no major moves, except of course maybe trading Jack Wilson for a bag of baseballs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Corsair wrote:
BBF wrote:

How could we have all been so wrong about this team? All we needed was Randy Wolf and LaTroy Hawkins and we'd be in the wild card race right now!!! How I wish we had the genius abilities of Ed Wade working for the Pirates right now. .


As I pointed out in another post, the Astros were the laughing stock of this town after the Bucs sweep. You should have heard the media down here when they went out and got those pitchers.

Their manager did not give up on the season.

They had an owner who was not afraid to spend money

They also have a general manager who has no fucking clue how to run a baseball team.

Quote:
Yeah, the Astros suck so bad since then, and I love how the Bucs are the talk of baseball with their excellent play since then.

Yes, let's hold up the overachieving Astros, who still won't make the playoffs this year. Let's praise them and their fabulous organization, even after they made quite possibly some of the stupidest moves ever made this year and are currently being outscored by their opponents by a margin of 22 runs this season. Let's praise them. :roll:

Quote:
It all comes down to another Bucco fire sale at the deadline. Nutting's orders. God forbid he might actually have to kick in some of his own money, while he is buying ski resorts.

Watch for the 20 million dollar payroll next year, after winter of nothing, no major moves, except of course maybe trading Jack Wilson for a bag of baseballs.

Once again, we have another comment comparing this year's actions to those of prior years, and once again, a failure to understand that this team was not winning with the players it had prior to the deadline.

Tell me, aside from the fact that trades actually took place, what is so similar between this year and years prior?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Last edited by Willton on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
omgardd wrote:
If you want pride and professionalism from your Pittsburgh sports teams, that all left PNC Park and went to Boston and New York, I'd recommend watching NBC on Sunday around 8:00 for pride and professionalism in Pittsburgh sports. These guys in the Pirate clubhouse play like they don't give a shit, its to the point of beating a dead horse, but the fact that every time I write a post like this 5 or 6 guys on here rush to their defense, which confuses yet interests me as to why and at least keeps me entertained. Makes for very interesting reading watching the followers try to justify this current group.

Here's your justification: this year's record does not matter anymore. They were not winning this year with Bay and Nady, so the idea that this team somehow gave up by trading them is ludicrous. The fact that you still do not understand this is mindboggling.

If you think that these players are not trying to win, then you either do not watch the games or you have no idea what a player looks like when he's trying. It is very easy to see that these players are giving their all and the fact that they aren't winning has nothing to do with their desire and everything to do with their ability.

The fact that you are confused by this, however, does not suprise me. I imagine you get confused by a lot of things.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am
Posts: 391
Willton wrote:

Tell me, aside from the fact that trades actually took place, what is so similar between this year and years prior?


I don't know, maybe they're not winning and look awful doing it? How is it any different?

_________________
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?"-- UPPMB


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am
Posts: 391
Willton wrote:
omgardd wrote:
If you want pride and professionalism from your Pittsburgh sports teams, that all left PNC Park and went to Boston and New York, I'd recommend watching NBC on Sunday around 8:00 for pride and professionalism in Pittsburgh sports. These guys in the Pirate clubhouse play like they don't give a shit, its to the point of beating a dead horse, but the fact that every time I write a post like this 5 or 6 guys on here rush to their defense, which confuses yet interests me as to why and at least keeps me entertained. Makes for very interesting reading watching the followers try to justify this current group.

Here's your justification: this year's record does not matter anymore.
It is very easy to see that these players are giving their all and the fact that they aren't winning has nothing to do with their desire and everything to do with their ability.


So basically you're admitting these players suck? If they're trying as you claim, and just don't have the ability, what are they doing on the team? Why are YOU watching the team and supporting them if their record doesn't matter?
There are far too many people on here who are just happy to have a team in town and like the sport of baseball whereas people like myself who expect winning and professional pride are looked at like idiots. Bizarre.

_________________
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?"-- UPPMB


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Wow, you guys are right! Future's so bright....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
omgardd wrote:
So basically you're admitting these players suck? If they're trying as you claim, and just don't have the ability, what are they doing on the team? Why are YOU watching the team and supporting them if their record doesn't matter?
There are far too many people on here who are just happy to have a team in town and like the sport of baseball whereas people like myself who expect winning and professional pride are looked at like idiots. Bizarre.

Many are on this team because Dave Littlefield ran this team into the ground prior to getting the boot, and replacing them is extremely difficult (See Jack Wilson, Freddy Sanchez, Ian Snell, Tom Gorzelanny, Zach Duke). Others are on this team because they have good potential and need this time to get acclimated to the bigs and realize that potential (See Andy LaRoche, Ross Ohlendorf, Jesse Chavez, Brandon Moss). The Pirates are playing for next year, not this year.

I don't watch the team. In case you didn't notice, I live in Jersey City, New Jersey -- Pirates baseball is not exactly a priority for the television networks around here. I also don't have a whole lot of desire to watch a team that I know is this bad, so I don't seek them out, and I imagine I'm a more joyful person as a result. I check box scores and stat sheets to keep up with the team, but I don't actively watch the games. (My opinion on whether the players are trying or not comes from second-hand information, like the opinions of others on this board who are willing to describe what they see and not make conclusory allegations.)

Given the track record of other teams (Twins, A's, Indians, Braves) that have acted in the same manner as the Pirates organization has this year, I find their actions to be encouraging to someone who wants to see the Pirates win consistently in the future. You, however, appear to be only concerned with the here-and-now. That sort of attitude is how Dave Littlefield ran the team, and it's what got the Pirates into this 16-year losing streak.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits