Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toasted Duke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:21 pm 

Was out of town this weekend so I didn't see it, but according to the papers Duke pitched a complete game shut out against the Giants.

And if memory serves, his preceeding start was a good one as well.

Question is: Why are you guys saying that he should be part of an egg breakfast? Maybe we should take him off the scrape heap and see if he can compete withSnell, Gorzo and the boys next spring.

Post subject: Re: Toasted Duke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:47 pm 

I agree, both Snell and Duke each have 4 quality starts in their last 6. They're showing signs of life. Gorzelanny should be shut down for the year, and they should use next year to see if he should stick around. I think last year ruined him for this season.

With the trade acquisitions, I think that only one of the Snell/Gorzelanny/Duke trio really needs to return to form in order for the Pirates to make a decent run in a couple years. Maholm is a solid 2, Snell/Gorzo/Duke would be a 3/4, and Karstens would be a 4/5. That would leave one spot in the rotation to be filled with by a prospect (Ohlendorf? McCutchen?) and maybe one by free agency. Of course, we'd still need a bona fide ace, and all of this assumes that Maholm continues to pitch well, and that Karstens maintains performance worthy of a 4th or 5th spot (not a given considering his performance since late August).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:22 pm 

Yeah, that was me. I sure hope I'm wrong, and that the trend with him continues. Anyone know what the opposition is batting against him in his last 6 starts? I'll bet it's not the .300 that it's been since 2005. I agree that if we can get just one of the trio (Duke, Gorzo, Snell) to right themself next year, we may have enough pitching to START turning it around.

Hey, didn't the Cards make it to the World Series in 2004 with 4 15 game winners? Maybe you don't need a number one ace. Of course one of those was Chris Carpenter...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:18 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Was out of town this weekend so I didn't see it, but according to the papers Duke pitched a complete game shut out against the Giants.

Question is: Why are you guys saying that he should be part of an egg breakfast? Maybe we should take him off the scrape heap and see if he can compete withSnell, Gorzo and the boys next spring.

Exactly, Sub. This team's starting pitching is so bad, why discard a guy? Bring him back along with some new acquisitions and the rest of the current group and let them all compete. There is very little downside to stocking up with pitchers and letting them genuinely compete for jobs in spring training and throughout the year. You get fewer fat cats and better performances.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:40 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Exactly, Sub. This team's starting pitching is so bad, why discard a guy? Bring him back along with some new acquisitions and the rest of the current group and let them all compete. There is very little downside to stocking up with pitchers and letting them genuinely compete for jobs in spring training and throughout the year. You get fewer fat cats and better performances.

I have no problem giving Duke a shot in spring, but overall he hasn't been good in 2 years...Everyone needs to get the back to form thing out of their heads...

Does anyone think Duke is going to pitch like he did in 2005 is nuts...There's not enough movement on his pitches and they are being put into play on too much of a regular basis...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...