Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depressing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:51 am 
The 16th losing season is official ... how depressing. I have cautious optimism that the initial steps have been taken to right the ship (I just hope they continue), but that's not the point. How sad is it when you take a step and look back at how long the Pirates have been losing. It's terrible.

Post subject: Re: Depressing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:59 am 

Elmer, I think everything that could be said has been said here about the plight of the Pirates. Nothing left to say. For Pirate fans (the few of us left) the past 16 years have been a disaster, starting with Sid Bream sliding across home plate to deny the Bucs a trip to the World Series and culminating in this decade plus slide into ineptitude and incompetence. Although we were all depressed when the Bucs lost game 7 of the '92 playoffs, I don't think anyone could have imagined what was to follow. Depressed? Yes. Hopeful? Yes. This losing cannot go on forever, and I do have hope that the new front office (with Nutting's financial input) will right the ship. We shall see.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:20 am 
DocJeanO wrote:
Elmer, I think everything that could be said has been said here about the plight of the Pirates. Nothing left to say. For Pirate fans (the few of us left) the past 16 years have been a disaster, starting with Sid Bream sliding across home plate to deny the Bucs a trip to the World Series and culminating in this decade plus slide into ineptitude and incompetence. Although we were all depressed when the Bucs lost game 7 of the '92 playoffs, I don't think anyone could have imagined what was to follow. Depressed? Yes. Hopeful? Yes. This losing cannot go on forever, and I do have hope that the new front office (with Nutting's financial input) will right the ship. We shall see.....

I agree that things very well may turn around and they can't lose forever.

That said, I think when something like this becomes official -- the longest losing streak in the history of pro sports -- it's OK to moan a little. I am a fan so I don't like losing at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:51 pm 

Elmer wrote:
DocJeanO wrote:

I agree that things very well may turn around and they can't lose forever.

That said, I think when something like this becomes official -- the longest losing streak in the history of pro sports -- it's OK to moan a little. I am a fan so I don't like losing at all.

I think that is well said elmer... everybody wants to win, every fan wants to see his team win, and loosing sucks..
and like i said before in some other threads.. and like docjean said.. except that it happens.. look further
and see the bright spots a head.. some where the loosing will end and mathematically seen we have the biggest chance that things will turn around.. :) read that somewhere

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 pm 

I agree and tried to say the same thing several times in the past. I guess that I didn't say it as well. Yes, good things are happening but bad things are still piling on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 pm 

Seems to me you need to lose 83 games to officially make it a losing season. I used to be pretty good at math too.

Losing and frustration are part of being a Pirate fan. We have gotten our hopes up many times over the past 16 years, only to have them dashed repeatedly.

All you can do is continue to hope.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:03 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Seems to me you need to lose 83 games to officially make it a losing season. I used to be pretty good at math too.

No, I'm pretty sure that if you lose 82 of 162 that you are guaranteed a losing season. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:11 pm 

My math would indicate that 81+81= 162, therefore losing 82 makes it a losing season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 am 

Like I said, I used to be good at math.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:00 pm 
Ralphie wrote:
Like I said, I used to be good at math.

The team is difficult to watch lately. I watched fewer games in August than I probably have ever watched in a month. It's sad. I really hope things turn around next year . . . if there's not some improvement, I think there may be tumbleweeds blowing through PNC Park.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:42 am 

I'm certain that ticket sales will be even lower next spring. People are not going to start going until or unless they start playing competitively. That will probably not happen next season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:40 am 
Substitute2 wrote:
I'm certain that ticket sales will be even lower next spring. People are not going to start going until or unless they start playing competitively. That will probably not happen next season.

Your probably right Substitute. That's scary. What sucks is the team probably needs more time, but I don't know if they can afford much more time. Even the remaining small fan base is dwindling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 pm 

They dont care they are still making a good profit this season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
They dont care they are still making a good profit this season.

And how much is this "good profit?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:43 am 

i'm loosing all my confidence in this organization ...

this ballclub goes nowhere.

one day we will have a winning season but the question is....... WHEN ?

i'm depressing .....

by the way nady and bay hit home runs yesterday......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:03 pm 

The profit is enough where Nutting keeps the team but doesnt spend money on players.
Im guessing in the 5-20 million profit range.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:17 pm 

Ryann wrote:
The profit is enough where Nutting keeps the team but doesnt spend money on players.

Did you mean 5-20, or 15-20?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:38 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Well, it's good to know that you justify your arguments with wild stabs in the dark.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:03 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Did you mean 5-20, or 15-20?

Stabs in the dark that are landing right in the heart.