Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt Capps
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:36 pm 

Did anybody else notice that the Giants did not wait around with Capps last night? First or second pitch - boom.

They appear to believe that Capps is not going to walk anybody, and that his first pitch is always a fastball over the heart of the plate.

They are right about both points. Capps needs to work in a first pitch breaking ball to keep this from happening. I really thought that he would throw the slider to Molina after the first two batters singled on a total of 3 pitches. Instead, another first pitch fastball over the heart of the plate, single to left.

A slider there and Molina probably rolls over it into a double play.

Post subject: Re: Matt Capps
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:47 pm 

Yep, thought the exact same thing. Nothing but underwhelming 92 mph lasers that unfortunately were up in the zone. Giants hitters were sitting on them to great effect. I hope his plan going forward is not to continue to "blow away" hitters with only a 92 mph fastball in his arsenal.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:49 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Yep, thought the exact same thing. Nothing but underwhelming 92 mph lasers that unfortunately were up in the zone. Giants hitters were sitting on them to great effect. I hope his plan going forward is not to continue to "blow away" hitters with only a 92 mph fastball in his arsenal.

I am hopeful that these pitches were belt high because Capps was throwing the "get ahead" fastball. He usually has better control in the strike zone than that.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:50 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Did anybody else notice that the Giants did not wait around with Capps last night? First or second pitch - boom.

They appear to believe that Capps is not going to walk anybody, and that his first pitch is always a fastball over the heart of the plate.

They are right about both points. Capps needs to work in a first pitch breaking ball to keep this from happening. I really thought that he would throw the slider to Molina after the first two batters singled on a total of 3 pitches. Instead, another first pitch fastball over the heart of the plate, single to left.

A slider there and Molina probably rolls over it into a double play.

Said almost the exact thing to my wife during the game. If he keeps throwing first pitch fastballs, combined with his excellent control, the book is going to be out on him to swing away. While he does have a decent fastball, its not going to get by most hitters who are looking for it. My hope is that if I can recognize this, Jeff Andrews can recognize it and things will change.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:53 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I am hopeful that these pitches were belt high because Capps was throwing the "get ahead" fastball. He usually has better control in the strike zone than that.

I am hopeful that he throws harder than 92 mph. Else he better learn a slider pronto.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:11 pm 

I mentioned this on the old board. Although I really like him, to me he is not going to be a long term closer unless he changes his approach and develops a better second pitch(or at least uses it). He doesn't blow people away and he is probably the only Pirate pitcher we can say should occasionally throw something out of the strike zone. I've wondered for two years now why teams don't tee off on him more. I know he likes to go after the hitters but his ball isn't explosive and it is straight as an arrow. Good hitters will sit on that stuff.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:48 pm 

Kind of disconcerting, Capps looks like a brawler who should be hitting 98-99 on the gun, but yet throws 92? Somebody got to to turn up the volume for the whole team. I guess 92 looks pretty dang fast compared to most of the starters 86-88.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:59 pm 

While I agree that Capps ought to mix it up a bit more, he does have 180 innings in the bigs with a ~3.1 era. I think it's safe to say that teams are, and have been, quite aware that he throws strikes early and often.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 pm 

I know they said the Radar Guns at PNC have been showing slow...dont know if that problem has been fixed...
But Capps does look like hes throwing slower and looks like he put a little weight on over the winter, he doesnt look like hes in the same shape he was last year

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:23 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Kind of disconcerting, Capps looks like a brawler who should be hitting 98-99 on the gun, but yet throws 92? Somebody got to to turn up the volume for the whole team. I guess 92 looks pretty dang fast compared to most of the starters 86-88.

Unfortunately, increased body weight != increased fastball velocity.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 pm 

Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Unfortunately, increased body weight != increased fastball velocity.

I can assure you that is not the case, else I'd be throwing at twice the highway speed limit instead of at the school zone speed limit. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:08 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I can assure you that is not the case, else I'd be throwing at twice the highway speed limit instead of at the school zone speed limit. :lol:

Amen. Maybe instead of being on the juice our pitchers should be on the soda. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:15 pm 

BBF wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Amen. Maybe instead of being on the juice our pitchers should be on the soda. :shock:

Craig Wilson's School of Arm Strength...

Attachments:
BrunsVizABallPepsiLg.jpg
BrunsVizABallPepsiLg.jpg [ 37.18 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...