Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Guys! Guess Who?????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:30 pm 

Been a long, long time and I have missed the board.

Briefly I had a computer problem last spring and needed to buy a new one. I lost all my board passwords, emails and everything. So I had to change names and accounts and all.

It has been a very busy summer for me. My workplace has recently done some (Dr. Evil Air quotes) "coroporate restructuring" That term literally translates to, "Henry Clay does more work." :)

My thoughts on this latest in a long line of Bucco futility?

1. Loved the Nady trade. Hated the Bay trade.

2. Can't for the life of me figure out how two good pitchers last year (Snell, Gorzolany) became so awful this year.

3. Nutting has to show me that he is serious about winning. It is very, very, very hard for me not to look at the deadline moves as anything other than, :Nutting: "My God Man, this team may actually require me to spend some of my own money next year, and we can't have that. I need that slush fund to help me buy Blueknob!" As you may recall, I have been one of the toughest critics of the William Randolph Hearst of the Mountaineer State, and I just can't shake this feeling that this is just a cash cow for him, that he is milking for all it is worth. Funny how we keep trading players right as they are about to cash in. And, for what its worth, I am not impressed at all by the Dominican Baseball Acadamy as evidence of a new direction. Yeah, what'd tha cost 300K? That should start producing by 2014. The Alvarez signing is a bit more of a positive for me, but I just have this sneaking feeling that we are looking at another Wal-Mart MLB payroll next year.

4. Another reason I see for the failure of this team after the deadline is psychological. I mean do we really expect players who were just traded from pennant contending teams in big media markets to be overjoyed that they were sentenced to the baseball equivalent of Siberia? Do we? I think that reflects in some of the utter failure that we have seen here, LaRoche and ground balls, Hansen and his walking everyone in the park but the hot dog vendor.

5. Nice to see McClouth and especially Doumit break out. I was sick and tired of seeing the ONLY Major League hitter this system has produced in the last decade playing 3rd for the Chicago Cubs. And then I recall the wonderful return we got in that deal and.............Easy Henry...........don't lose it........Take your meds....think happy thoughts :D

6. Great to see Ronny Paulino back in the bus leagues where his attitude and effort belongs.

7. Brian Bixler is not the answer at short. Keep Jack.

8. Why did the not bring up McCutcheon? I thought he was the stud of our outfield prospects. Seems ridiculous not to get him some September ABs.

9. I still don't like Adam LaRoche.

10. I have truely missed the community of this board. Here's hoping I can be around more.

HENRY

Post subject: Re: Hey Guys! Guess Who?????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:26 pm 

welcome back Henry!!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:10 pm 

Yeah, welcome Back! We need some old blood on this board. Seriously...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34 am 

Welcome back, Henry.

I seem to remember 5 million being the number for the Domincan facility. Plus they spent more on Latin American free agents this year than ever before, and more on draft picks than ever, assuming Alvarez signs.

Don't know if this is enough, but it's better than what was being done before.