Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Andy LaRoche Batting Approach
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 am 

ESPN broke away from a rain delay to show ten minutes of the Pirates game last night. I saw Adam chase a pitch to strike out with the bases loaded in the first inning. That was my first time hearing Lanny over a television!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:14 am 

BBF wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
While I'm of the belief that LaRoche will work out just fine, I have to point out that his at bats have come at ages 23 and 24, while Ramirez accumulated his first 250 at bats at the age of 20. That's a tremendous difference.

Sadly, I had already anticipated that counterargument, but didn't bother thinking up a response to it (I honestly didn't think Laroche's detractors were bright enough to make the argument...thanks sisy!).

Sorry. It could have been worse. He was really 19-20 years old. :P

Quote:
However, Rammy's next 300 AB's weren't much better, either, and that is approaching 21-22 yo.

In fact, Rammy's age 24 season saw him OPS a beastly .666 (he did smack 18 big flies though). OPS+ of 72 that year. And that was after parts of 4 seasons in the big leagues, one of which was quite impressive (34 homers the previous year, with a .300 BA).

I think my point still holds true that it is ridiculous to be judging Laroche based on his first 250 AB's when he is still 24 years old. His minor league stats are probably much more useful at this point in predicting what sort of player he will become, and they are pretty damn good (though I personally think he will turn out to be less of a power hitter than the raw numbers suggest, and instead be an OBP and doubles machine).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:16 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Fair points raised all over the place here.
I'll add the fact that scouts assessing LaRoche were far from convinced that he could make the step to the bigs and felt that he would, at best, hold his own against #4 and #5 pitchers and struggle against top of the rotation pitchers.

So far, he has struggled against all pitching and (I think ZM raised this point) looks very much like a player that the Dodgers would give a rat's backside about losing in a trade.

I hope I'm wrong but I have very little expectation out of LaRoche and even less out of Steve Pearce. It's my belief that anyone holding hope that these two will be major factors with the next contending team in the 'Burgh will be gravely disappointed.

I can't agree with you. The Dodgers were very high on LaRoche until this year. I think that it just takes a long time to recover fully from hand injuries.