Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5360
Bucfan wrote:
It is definitely easier to see the ball during day games, and most players have splits that favor hitting in day games (there are a few exceptions).

However, not many have splits that significant. Cannot explain the reason.


Maybe whatever Pedro eats for dinner doesn't sit right? :D

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1104
my experience, I would rather play at night, much more comfortable temperatures being the main reason....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 1197
Yeah, in terms of comfort, night games were always better. And I wouldn't say the vision of the ball is spectacularly hindered by playing under the lights. It shouldn't be an excuse.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
Can he see? I have 20/30 vision (until tomorrow!) and I have a much harder time playing sports at night.

Maybe he should get LASIK.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4789
Location: Washington, DC
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Can he see? I have 20/30 vision (until tomorrow!) and I have a much harder time playing sports at night.

Maybe he should get LASIK.


Maybe he just needs a pair of these:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
He just may!

Does Pedro wear contacts? Anybody know?

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 pm
Posts: 217
Some mad respect for Pedro his first at bat. They gave him absolutely nothing to hit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5360
Including today, Pedro has 25 walks all season.

12 since June 8th (in 21 games).

Maybe the boy pulled the ears out of his hat and began listening to some hitting (plate discipline) instruction??? ;) :D

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1063
Starting to grow into a big league hitter.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm
Posts: 792
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
amazing play on the bunt today too! On the replay...they had a shot from behind right of the plate where you could see Pedro in the distance as Furcal (I think...) slid his left hand down the bat...the instant his left hand moved, Pedro was charging like a lion. Perfect throw as well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
His defense has really been fantastic recently!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I think Pedro has come a long way. He is doing a very good job on defense, and his bat is coming alive.

My only wish for him at this point would be to continue to be consistent with his hits and run production. His batting average will rise and will make him an even more dangerous hitter.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5360
Figured I'd bump this (as it is the Pedro thread with the pages/discussion) instead of continuing to hi-jack the Bedard thread.

Pedro's splits so far:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... r=2012&t=b

One positive thing I just saw/thought of is that he has only 5 GDP (obviously because he K's alot), so... there's that 'glass half full' approach! :D

As I posted in the Bedard thread,his monthly BB vs. K totals:
APR: 3-23
MAY: 10-33
JUN: 11-26
JUL: 9-29
AUG: 15-34

Aside from that hiccup in July, it looks as if he's been either consistent or making strides (~ even BB/K since May, more walks and less K's until this month).

His 1st vs. 2nd half splits are promising so far, too.
1st: 27-87 BB/K, .785 OPS in 76 games
2nd: 20-58 BB/K, .885 OPS in 42 games

His day/night splits are less encouraging, as are his L/R splits, as he obviously struggles vs. Lefties, but...

Overall, I think there's are some strides here. He's put together three straight solid months since June and if he finishes in similar fashion it will be HUGE for this team and his development.

Like I also said in the Bedard thread, I'd like to see/breakdown his vs. counts more (and while I don't know the significance of them, his 'clutch' stats don't look shabby)---especially compared to past years.

Nonetheless, there are some encouraging signs about his direction. Nothing instantly 'he's figured it out!', but perhaps baby steps (which can lead to more in the postseason/offseason/spring training).

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
It still seems like he gets into a lot of Pedros (0-2 counts). I wish he'd stop doing that so often.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1333
Location: Eastern Shore
NSMaster56 wrote:
Figured I'd bump this (as it is the Pedro thread with the pages/discussion) instead of continuing to hi-jack the Bedard thread.

Pedro's splits so far:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... r=2012&t=b

One positive thing I just saw/thought of is that he has only 5 GDP (obviously because he K's alot), so... there's that 'glass half full' approach! :D

As I posted in the Bedard thread,his monthly BB vs. K totals:
APR: 3-23
MAY: 10-33
JUN: 11-26
JUL: 9-29
AUG: 15-34

Aside from that hiccup in July, it looks as if he's been either consistent or making strides (~ even BB/K since May, more walks and less K's until this month).

His 1st vs. 2nd half splits are promising so far, too.
1st: 27-87 BB/K, .785 OPS in 76 games
2nd: 20-58 BB/K, .885 OPS in 42 games

His day/night splits are less encouraging, as are his L/R splits, as he obviously struggles vs. Lefties, but...

Overall, I think there's are some strides here. He's put together three straight solid months since June and if he finishes in similar fashion it will be HUGE for this team and his development.

Like I also said in the Bedard thread, I'd like to see/breakdown his vs. counts more (and while I don't know the significance of them, his 'clutch' stats don't look shabby)---especially compared to past years.

Nonetheless, there are some encouraging signs about his direction. Nothing instantly 'he's figured it out!', but perhaps baby steps (which can lead to more in the postseason/offseason/spring training).

He's come up to bat 6 times in extra innings and hit one homerun and walked twice. No strikeouts. So that's encouraging.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
It still seems like he gets into a lot of Pedros (0-2 counts). I wish he'd stop doing that so often.


"Seems" is the operative word.

Pedro has been in 49 0-2 counts this year in 457 plate appearances. He is 5 for 49 with 35K:0BB.

Walker has been in 89 0-2 counts this year in 501 plate apperances. He is 11 for 86 with 46K:1BB.

Cutch has been in 93 0-2 counts this year in 540 plate apperances. He is 22 for 90 with 36K:3BB.

So, Cutch and Walker get into far more 0-2 counts than Pedro does. Cutch actually gets hits when he's behind.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 736
I've only been able to see about 20 games this year on TV, so I realize my sample size is small. To me, it seems like so many of Pedro's 0-2 counts are the results of taking two strikes then swinging at strike 3 out of the zone. I know this may sound crazy for a guy on pace for nearly 200K's, but I think that he needs to be MORE aggressive (at least earlier in the count).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 736
Just looked up his splits...when he puts the ball in play on first pitch swinging, he's batting .339, slugging .610! 4 long balls on the first pitch of the at bat, too.

Sample size is 59 ab's.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
Chris Anderson wrote:
I've only been able to see about 20 games this year on TV, so I realize my sample size is small. To me, it seems like so many of Pedro's 0-2 counts are the results of taking two strikes then swinging at strike 3 out of the zone. I know this may sound crazy for a guy on pace for nearly 200K's, but I think that he needs to be MORE aggressive (at least earlier in the count).



Agree. Maybe the fact that I've seen that so many times explains why the actual numbers don't match up with my eyes.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Chris Anderson wrote:
Just looked up his splits...when he puts the ball in play on first pitch swinging, he's batting .339, slugging .610! 4 long balls on the first pitch of the at bat, too.

Sample size is 59 ab's.

That's because he's selective; he doesn't swing at many first pitches (as evidenced by the 59 ABs in which he has) unless it is a good pitch to hit. Just because Pedro has hit well when swinging at the first pitch does not mean that he should be doing it more often.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], tprothro and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits