Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 am 

His defense has really been fantastic recently!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 am 

I think Pedro has come a long way. He is doing a very good job on defense, and his bat is coming alive.

My only wish for him at this point would be to continue to be consistent with his hits and run production. His batting average will rise and will make him an even more dangerous hitter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:22 pm 

Figured I'd bump this (as it is the Pedro thread with the pages/discussion) instead of continuing to hi-jack the Bedard thread.

Pedro's splits so far:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... r=2012&t=b

One positive thing I just saw/thought of is that he has only 5 GDP (obviously because he K's alot), so... there's that 'glass half full' approach! :D

As I posted in the Bedard thread,his monthly BB vs. K totals:
APR: 3-23
MAY: 10-33
JUN: 11-26
JUL: 9-29
AUG: 15-34

Aside from that hiccup in July, it looks as if he's been either consistent or making strides (~ even BB/K since May, more walks and less K's until this month).

His 1st vs. 2nd half splits are promising so far, too.
1st: 27-87 BB/K, .785 OPS in 76 games
2nd: 20-58 BB/K, .885 OPS in 42 games

His day/night splits are less encouraging, as are his L/R splits, as he obviously struggles vs. Lefties, but...

Overall, I think there's are some strides here. He's put together three straight solid months since June and if he finishes in similar fashion it will be HUGE for this team and his development.

Like I also said in the Bedard thread, I'd like to see/breakdown his vs. counts more (and while I don't know the significance of them, his 'clutch' stats don't look shabby)---especially compared to past years.

Nonetheless, there are some encouraging signs about his direction. Nothing instantly 'he's figured it out!', but perhaps baby steps (which can lead to more in the postseason/offseason/spring training).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It still seems like he gets into a lot of Pedros (0-2 counts). I wish he'd stop doing that so often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Figured I'd bump this (as it is the Pedro thread with the pages/discussion) instead of continuing to hi-jack the Bedard thread.

Pedro's splits so far:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... r=2012&t=b

One positive thing I just saw/thought of is that he has only 5 GDP (obviously because he K's alot), so... there's that 'glass half full' approach! :D

As I posted in the Bedard thread,his monthly BB vs. K totals:
APR: 3-23
MAY: 10-33
JUN: 11-26
JUL: 9-29
AUG: 15-34

Aside from that hiccup in July, it looks as if he's been either consistent or making strides (~ even BB/K since May, more walks and less K's until this month).

His 1st vs. 2nd half splits are promising so far, too.
1st: 27-87 BB/K, .785 OPS in 76 games
2nd: 20-58 BB/K, .885 OPS in 42 games

His day/night splits are less encouraging, as are his L/R splits, as he obviously struggles vs. Lefties, but...

Overall, I think there's are some strides here. He's put together three straight solid months since June and if he finishes in similar fashion it will be HUGE for this team and his development.

Like I also said in the Bedard thread, I'd like to see/breakdown his vs. counts more (and while I don't know the significance of them, his 'clutch' stats don't look shabby)---especially compared to past years.

Nonetheless, there are some encouraging signs about his direction. Nothing instantly 'he's figured it out!', but perhaps baby steps (which can lead to more in the postseason/offseason/spring training).

He's come up to bat 6 times in extra innings and hit one homerun and walked twice. No strikeouts. So that's encouraging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:28 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
It still seems like he gets into a lot of Pedros (0-2 counts). I wish he'd stop doing that so often.

"Seems" is the operative word.

Pedro has been in 49 0-2 counts this year in 457 plate appearances. He is 5 for 49 with 35K:0BB.

Walker has been in 89 0-2 counts this year in 501 plate apperances. He is 11 for 86 with 46K:1BB.

Cutch has been in 93 0-2 counts this year in 540 plate apperances. He is 22 for 90 with 36K:3BB.

So, Cutch and Walker get into far more 0-2 counts than Pedro does. Cutch actually gets hits when he's behind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm 

I've only been able to see about 20 games this year on TV, so I realize my sample size is small. To me, it seems like so many of Pedro's 0-2 counts are the results of taking two strikes then swinging at strike 3 out of the zone. I know this may sound crazy for a guy on pace for nearly 200K's, but I think that he needs to be MORE aggressive (at least earlier in the count).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 pm 

Just looked up his splits...when he puts the ball in play on first pitch swinging, he's batting .339, slugging .610! 4 long balls on the first pitch of the at bat, too.

Sample size is 59 ab's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Chris Anderson wrote:
I've only been able to see about 20 games this year on TV, so I realize my sample size is small. To me, it seems like so many of Pedro's 0-2 counts are the results of taking two strikes then swinging at strike 3 out of the zone. I know this may sound crazy for a guy on pace for nearly 200K's, but I think that he needs to be MORE aggressive (at least earlier in the count).

Agree. Maybe the fact that I've seen that so many times explains why the actual numbers don't match up with my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Just looked up his splits...when he puts the ball in play on first pitch swinging, he's batting .339, slugging .610! 4 long balls on the first pitch of the at bat, too.

Sample size is 59 ab's.

That's because he's selective; he doesn't swing at many first pitches (as evidenced by the 59 ABs in which he has) unless it is a good pitch to hit. Just because Pedro has hit well when swinging at the first pitch does not mean that he should be doing it more often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:20 pm 

Willton wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

Sample size is 59 ab's.

That's because he's selective; he doesn't swing at many first pitches (as evidenced by the 59 ABs in which he has) unless it is a good pitch to hit. Just because Pedro has hit well when swinging at the first pitch does not mean that he should be doing it more often.

That's funny. Hurdle has said on two different occassions that they have tried to get him to be ready to hit that first pitch...to be aggressive early in the count. When he gets behind he starts chasing.

And I thought stats never lie...you get presented with a stat, and now you say that doesn't mean it is the correct approach... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

A league average hitter is at about .300 on balls that are put in play, so those numbers may be skewed a bit given those parameters.

But I still think he takes a lot of good pitches at the start of at-bats. All anecdotal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:16 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
A league average hitter is at about .300 on balls that are put in play, so those numbers may be skewed a bit given those parameters.

But I still think he takes a lot of good pitches at the start of at-bats. All anecdotal.

He probably does take a lot of good pitches early, most good hitters do. I don't think we want to "correct" one of the things he does well (plate discipline, BB rate). I woudl focus on addressing why he chases so poorly, maybe work on shortening up his 2 strike swing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6