Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brandon Moss
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 pm 

I am really starting to like this guy.

How many knew that he has more HR's (6) and walks (12) than Jason Bay (4, 9) since the trade??? He has also fanned fewer times (28-26), though in quite a few less at-bats.

Moss is a pretty good player. Decent range in LF, very good arm, good power, good eye at the plate. He is going to fan 100 times per year, but he looks very much like a guy who can hit 25 HR's, with a .375 OBP and .500 slugging.

Post subject: Re: Brandon Moss
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:42 pm 

Agree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 pm 

I have nothing to back this up with, but Moss strikes me as a left handed Craig Wilson. Will have decent power numbers, will strike out a lot, and tend to be really streaky, with his hot streaks and cold streaks resulting in a love-hate relationship around here.

The difference is that I hope NH doesn't bring in Burnitz/Mondesi/Casey/Simon to start in front of him.

Worst case scenario is that he makes one hell of a platoon partner, perhaps with Pearce if Pearce ever gets it going.

And besides, if he does turn out like Craig Wilson, I look forward to 10 page threads debating whether or not someone ever said that Moss was a top 10 player in the NL!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:00 pm 

I agree about Moss, I originally thought that he was the most promising haul of the Bay trade. He was the fifth guy in a stacked Sox outfield, so I was psyched when the Pirates got him. I was really disappointed with his performance before he got injured (albeit in a small sample of PAs), but it looks like he's turned it around. In a few years it could be him, McClouth, and Tabata in the outfield, which is looking like it could be pretty solid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:20 pm 

I also like the intangibles. He plays with passion and flair, similar to Jack and Minky. I also like how he bounced back from the injury so quickly.