Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on minor leaguers ... Tabata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm 

Jose Tabata continues to hit very well in AA, without regard to his age. His production would be good if he were 24 years old. The fact that he just turned 20 is pretty remarkable:

Code:
Team League AVG G AB  R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP  SLG OPS
ALT   EAS .348 22 89 16 31 6 2  3  13  50 8  18 8 0  .402 .562 .964

Very impressive stats ... 11 XBH in 89 at-bats, a .964 OPS, 8 stolen bases in 22 games, no caught stealing.

Post subject: Re: Update on minor leaguers ... Tabata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 pm 

i can't believe we got this guy for nady... this was a steal!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 am 

yeahimajerk wrote:

Can we at least wait until he plays in the majors to declare that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:55 am 
yeahimajerk wrote:

I love what I'm seeing/reading of Tabata. It's very exciting!!

I don't think you can say it was a "steal" for Nady, though, until Tabata does this at the major league level though. Let's see how it unfolds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 am 

Speaking of Nady, he's still doing rather well in NY, although he has cooled off a bit.

Pit: 330/383/535
NY: 299/349/552

Barring a monumental collapse this month, I was dead wrong about him not making it through the season without resorting to his historical numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Barring a monumental collapse this month, I was dead wrong about him not making it through the season without resorting to his historical numbers.

He is hitting right-handers very well, and that is the difference. Nady is on pace for 26 HR's, 40 2B's and 100 RBI's. He has become the hitter scouts thought he would be when he was drafted out of Cal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 pm 

So looks like he's hitting for a little more power with the Yankees but not getting on base as much. He's in a contract year next year, I'd expect even better things from him then.

Speaking of power, did you see the homer he hit at Tropicana last night? I think if it were an open air stadium, he would have hit it out of the park completely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Speaking of power, did you see the homer he hit at Tropicana last night? I think if it were an open air stadium, he would have hit it out of the park completely.

I saw that in the highlights. Nady has genuine power. He hit some BOMBS for the Pirates.

I am happy that players today do not appear to be the steroid freaks of years past. The power hitters now - Rodriguez, Hamilton, Dunn, and to a lesser extent Nady, etc. - are guys who are hitters, rather than chemical users.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:

He is hitting right-handers very well, and that is the difference. Nady...

Do you mean now that he was allowed to play against RH'ers? 'Cause he's done it ever since he's been a Pirate and they were the first to actually allow him to play agains RHer's.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

He is hitting right-handers very well, and that is the difference. Nady...

Do you mean now that he was allowed to play against RH'ers? 'Cause he's done it ever since he's been a Pirate and they were the first to actually allow him to play agains RHer's.

ZM

On the contrary: the Mets gave Nady plenty of regular plate appearances against right-handers in 2006. He just was not any good at hitting RHPs then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:42 pm 

I'll reserve judgement, but he's had a great season thus far though. Although his past month (270/315/460) has a lot more in common with the Nady of old than with the new and improved one.

Edited to add that he's wiffing at a 30% clip in his last 100ABs. That is not good, especially considering he was wiffing at about a 17% clip before that.

Last edited by Argentum on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

His splits from 2003-2006 against righties were not good at all. He had a .684 OPS against righties in 2003 in 265 at-bats; he had a .524 OPS against righties in 2004 in VERY limited play (most of the year in the minors); he had a .701 OPS against righties in 2005 in 201 at-bats; and he had a .736 OPS in 361 at-bats against righties in 2006. Overall, he had quite a few at-bats against righties in those years and just did not hit that well.

Meanwhile, he killed lefties over the same time. He has a .936 OPS against lefties in 2006, for example.

So, he had over 850 at bats against right-handers and did not hit them NEARLY as well as he hit lefties,

That changed beginning last year, when he hit right-handers pretty well. This year, he is just killing right-handers with an OPS over .900.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 pm 

Wasnt this thread about TABATA??

and Nady.. he'has a nice season, even with the Yankees, but first see if he is the same next year..
Jack had one outstanding season too.. wait till the AL sees him more regular..

but back to TABATA ;)

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:33 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

He is hitting right-handers very well, and that is the difference. Nady is on pace for 26 HR's, 40 2B's and 100 RBI's. He has become the hitter scouts thought he would be when he was drafted out of Cal.

Speaking of Nady, I believe that I owe you a case of beer. How would you like to handle the logistics?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 pm 

I wish I had last season's thread where I and others argued many times over that Nady was this good. It was continuelly argued by some that he wasn't an everyday player, that he would always be injured, that he was a PLatoon guy at best.

This is one time guys that some of us were right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:20 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I wish I had last season's thread where I and others argued many times over that Nady was this good. It was continuelly argued by some that he wasn't an everyday player, that he would always be injured, that he was a PLatoon guy at best.

This is one time guys that some of us were right.

Hey now, I may be buying a case of beer, but I still don't think he'll ever match this year's numbers again.