Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NUMB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:50 pm 

I feel rather numb or shell shocked at how horrible the Bucs have been. I wonder how they feel, especially Jack and Freddie. And, I'm certain the NH has some moments of panic saying to himself, "This better work out, or I'll be toast." Has anyone heard his radio show? What does he say? NH: "I knew it would be bad, but this really sucks big time!!" Or, something like that!

Post subject: Re: NUMB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 pm 

I haven't heard him recently, but I heard his show a few weeks after State College's season started and the whole worst record in professional baseball thing...

And he assured that things like that would not happen again...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:05 pm 

Jack, freddy, or any other pirates players dont seem to care. The only one that ever plays like he cares is Doug the rest of them dont care and their performance proves it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 pm 

Is there a way to access a transcript to NH's radio show? Or, a place to hear it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:28 am 

Ryann wrote:
Jack, freddy, or any other pirates players dont seem to care. The only one that ever plays like he cares is Doug the rest of them dont care and their performance proves it.

Yes, you could really tell that Wilson didn't care today when he was throwing to first while yelling in pain from a bad hop that just about took a nail off. You can tell that nobody cares every time they run out routine ground balls.

Their performance proves that they don't have enough talent as a team to win.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:51 am 

Yeah or when they go 0-3 0-4 and as a team get one hit that was actually an error.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:53 pm 

Ryann, sounds like you're kind of new to the game, so here's a news flash for you- CC Sabathia is a dominant pitcher. Games like that happen .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:53 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Yeah or when they go 0-3 0-4 and as a team get one hit that was actually an error.

I guess the 1971 Pirates were a bunch of quitters too, as they were no hit by Bob Gibson. Before going on to lead the league in runs scored, hits, triples, and home runs, finishing second in batting average, and winning the World Series. Because only teams that quit ever get no hit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:33 pm 

I remember that the 2003 Yankees got no-hit by the Houston Astros before they went on to the World Series. What a bunch of quitters they were. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:10 pm 

Willton wrote:
I remember that the 2003 Yankees got no-hit by the Houston Astros before they went on to the World Series. What a bunch of quitters they were. :roll:

If teams that get no-hit are quitters, then does that mean the team throwing the no-hitter is rubbing it in their faces for quitting when they throw a perfect game?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:27 am 

Was the no hitter on the yankees the yankees 10th loss in a row? I didnt think so!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:36 am 

The title of this thread is 'numb'

Me too. This has turned to sheet. We need winter and then spring to regain some hope. This losing streak, and the Alvarez mess have made me sick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:57 am 

Sub....I started this thread, and I can't believe how badly I feel......if the guys could just do a little better in September, we could all face the winter snow and darkness with some minimal hope. And, if the Alvarez mess clears in the Bucs favor, that would be even better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:15 pm 

Again... for all those that are freaking out about the Pirates...
10 Reasons to look toward a brighter future

1. When the Pirates entered the season it was understood that they were going to be given a chance to contend until the deadline. If this team was in position to contend(which we all knew it wouldn't), management would have had to make a very difficult decision to sacrifice future for a win now strategy. Obviously they were not in position to do so, hence NH began to "stock up" on talent.

2. Stop worrying about Andy LaRoche, NH is just trying to stock up talent at every position. Every position needs backup plans and some positions (3B,SP,RP,OF) need competition. So freaking out about what Andy LaRoche is hitting is useless.

3. Why couldn't the Pirates get a guy like Sabathia at the deadline? Because we had A. McCutchen, N. Walker, and R. Paulino in the minors to offer in a deal and thats it.

4. Does it matter that they lose 10 in a row this year? Every player is auditioning for a roster spot next year, its on them to make good on their play everyday. At least now we have a GM that will give you a chance, but will then go another way if you can't make good on your opportunity.

5. Get over losing Jason Bay and Xavier Nady. NH played this situation wonderfully, he waited until Bay and Nady had reached their highest trade value and then dealt them for a bounty of players. (Please don't reference the trade earlier in the season with the Indians because none of you, including me AND the Indians thought that C. Lee would win 20 games)

6. We didn't get enough for Bay and Nady??? Obviously Nady wasn't the guy to help out the sinking Yankees and we robbed them of their Starting Pitching depth (which they needed after the fact), plus got a high caliber talent guy in Tabata. As far as Bay goes, I'm not sure I've heard his name since the first day he played for the RedSox, and lately, Dustin Pedroia has been batting 4th... what gives? In return for Bay we have A. LaRoche, B. Moss(whom will turn out to be a younger and better version of Xavier Nady), C. Hansen(who will replace Capps in a few years if he can find the plate), and B. Morris(another high ceiling talent).

7. Everyone that knows anything about Pirate baseball knew that when Coonelly and Huntington made wholesale changes throught every level of the organization, that it was going to take a few years before the system would churn out the talent and depth needed for a strong run at contention. FC and NH gave some of the holdovers from the DL camp a shot, some will stay and some will go at the end of this season(some have already been shipped out). It may not be a complete rebuild, but more of a purge.

8. As been stated before... High dollar FA's don't build a winning team, they take an already winning team and make them playoff winning teams.

9. Isn't Steeler season starting?

10. I like how the PBC is going about building a team that will contend regularly.

a. From the state-of-the-art developmental programs, software, etc.
b. The hiring of high quality baseball minds from all areas of the game(including the researcher from BA)
c. A turning back to aggressively seeking talent from the international sects
d. A return of once successful Pirates managers and players(Chuck Tanner) to offer talent review and teaching(an Alumni program of sorts)
e. A stockpiling of talent that could offer as future Pirate heroes or excellent trade fodder
f. Removal and demotion of players not willing to play the game the right way(Paulino), fill a role the team wants you to(Bautista), etc.
g. Aggressive drafting of talent from Colleges and High Schools(regardless of the outcome of the Alvarez situation)
h. And an unwavering determination to operate within the frameworks of a well laid out plan to return this program back to respectability and restore honor to those that have played for this organization throughout its 100+ years of existence. In doing so, not being overly concerned about outside criticism or influence, be it from bullying teams such as the Yankees, bullying agents like Boras, or sports columinists and "experts" around the country. Also not "caving" into the short sighted "wants" of the fanbase that derailed hopefully productive plans of previous GM's.

PirateFan13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 pm 

Good post BF 13.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm 

You're right of course. I agree and have posted many of those same things this summer.

However, I still watch and it is still difficult to see the Pirates go through this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
You're right of course. I agree and have posted many of those same things this summer.

However, I still watch and it is still difficult to see the Pirates go through this stuff.

Absolutely Sub... having hope for the future doesn't completely irradicate the pain of the now. I still agonize over every loss myself, but in the back of my mind I know what is coming for the future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Right on PF...

The only note I would make on that, is that Bay is the toast of Boston right now, and has been crushing the ball, as well a playing defense.

They love him up there right now. We'll see how much when he gets into one of his "no-hit, swing-at-outside-breaking-ball-in-dirt" streaks though.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:44 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Right on PF...

The only note I would make on that, is that Bay is the toast of Boston right now, and has been crushing the ball, as well a playing defense.

They love him up there right now. We'll see how much when he gets into one of his "no-hit, swing-at-outside-breaking-ball-in-dirt" streaks though.

ZM

Yah... and don't forget his endless ground-ball-to-3rd AB's