Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the Alvarez situation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 pm 

After reading the whole thread on Alvarez, I decided against replying to all of the posts I had issues with, figuring it would be easier and more economical to just make one post.

First of all, anyone who thinks that this whole fiasco occurred because Alvarez doesn't want to play for the Pirates is way off base. He didn't need to go through all this to avoid signing with the Pirates. He merely had to say no to their contract offer, then go back to school until next years draft. Even if the arbitrator sides with the PA, there is zero chance that Alvarez will be granted free agency, and Boras' actions have probably made it impossible to play for Vanderbilt. The most he can get out of this is another chance to negotiate, and I think that even that is extremely unlikely. The most likely ruling is that MLB can't extend the deadline any more, but the contracts from this year will be valid. The second most likely ruling is that Hosmer and Alvarez did not reach agreements by the deadline and they must both be drafted again next year.

Secondly, I've seen a few folks defending Boras for trying to get more for his client. Bullshit. Scott Boras doesn't give a damn about his clients. Scott Boras cares about Scott Boras. His goal the elimination of the August 15 deadline, which he detests. He is hoping that the arbitrator will rule against the Commissioner's office and punish baseball by declaring the deadline clause of the CBA null and void as a result. He has risked trashing the reputation of one client and the contract of a second to achieve this goal. What a sweet guy.

Third, despite the ravings of a few, the Pirates did nothing wrong. Even if they did request an extension, which is in doubt, there is precedent for granting such extensions from last year.

Last of all, Bullish is as full of shite as ever. The commissioner's office screwed up, but it's Nuttings fault. What an ass.

Last edited by sisyphus on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: On the Alvarez situation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:57 am 

Yeah, KC sat their kid down until this thing is settled, he signed was playing already...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:30 am 

sisyphus

are you a little angry or overly emotional? Sure Boras is the main cause of this. The Pirates did not follow proper procedure otherwise Boras would not have any reason to go to all the trouble. Boras and Coonley dont like one another and there was zero communication. A cold war of egos. You cant do that when you're in the Pirates position. If the deal falls through, the Pirates share part of the blame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 pm 

which proper procedure did the pirates not follow?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:59 pm 

Why invite him to speak yet again? Until or unless everyone in the world agrees with him that it always and in every situation is ownership's fault. No matter the issue;he will never stop.

The only way to deal with people like him is to ignore him completely and eventually he will move on with his life. Resist the temptation to respond to him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:45 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus

are you a little angry or overly emotional? Sure Boras is the main cause of this. The Pirates did not follow proper procedure otherwise Boras would not have any reason to go to all the trouble. Boras and Coonley dont like one another and there was zero communication. A cold war of egos. You cant do that when you're in the Pirates position. If the deal falls through, the Pirates share part of the blame

I'm neither angry nor emotional over the Alvarez situation.

Coonelly was not involved in the negotiations, so your ego war theory is just as valid as the rest of the crap that you've been spewing. Yes, there was a lack of communication. It is very difficult to communicate with a man who does not answer his phone until shortly before a deadline. If this deal falls through, and I believe that the chance of that is extremely slim, all of the credit or blame goes to Boras. You cannot negotiate with a man who refuses to talk to you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:10 pm 

I don't see any blame on the Buccos part. None.

They offered the kid a contract. He accepted. His agent was there every step. It was not until several days later that his agent detected a "glich". Isn't he being paid to find this stuff before it happens?

The guy's a jerk, and bad for the game. Unfortunately, he makes his client look like a jerk, too.

I could never root for this kid. I hope PBC wins this deal simply so they can trade his rights for someone who wants to be here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:30 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
I could never root for this kid. I hope PBC wins this deal simply so they can trade his rights for someone who wants to be here.

This seems like a fairly drastic rush to judgement. How about letting the situation with the arbitrator play out before pillorying Alvarez alongside Boras?

And when, exactly, in this whole process has Alvarez stated that he doesn't want to play in Pittsburgh? :?:

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:31 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

This seems like a fairly drastic rush to judgement. How about letting the situation with the arbitrator play out before pillorying Alvarez alongside Boras?

Rushing to judgment is par for the course for Steve1118.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:49 pm 

Boras doesn't allow teams to follow the process. Look back at when JD Drew was getting drafted. The Phillies sent their contract offer to Drew at the address he registered for the draft with. Drew (read as: Boras) claimed that wasn't his correct address and since they never received the offer within 15 days of the draft (which was the rule back then), then Drew was a free agent. The Phillies for their part also sent contracts to his parents house and other "known" places that Mr. Drew might live in. Boras will lie, cheat, steal and spit on his mother's grave if it gets him (not his client) more money or attention.

I believe, no proof just my opinion, that Boras has some real nasty dirt on A-Rod as well. Remember how A-Rod was about to fire Boras after the WS fiasco last year, but didn't. Instead, Boras is still his agent/advisor (getting his cut) but A-Rod now handles most of his business affairs. Why? Why not just fire the guy? Probably because Boras is blackmailing him.

Boras is the scourge of the earth! He caused Hurricane Gustav! He is in cahoots with Osama Bin Laden! Boras, in attempt to make more money, is the driving force behind the housing market collapse, so he can purchase all the homes in foreclosure and jack prices up again! Boras has been slipping pills to Amy Winehouse and Brittany Spears! Scott Boras is the source of global warming (this might be true with all the manure coming out of his mouth)! Scott Boras is causing the fall of our educational success in an attempt to dumb down future clients so he can manipulate them!

Finally....

Scott Boras = Bullishitter!!!!!!

All right, I feel better now....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:52 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:

Finally....

Scott Boras = Bullishitter!!!!!!

All right, I feel better now....

That is patently unfair. Scott Boras is a jackass, but THAT crosses the line. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:45 pm 

I'd agree Scott Boras doesn't really care about clients he has already signed...he cares about future clients. As far as Alvarez goes, Boras has somehow convinced him that this is the best course of action for him (even though it isn't), so that future potential clients will see to what lengths Boras will go to get them more money. It's kind of a shame that Alvarez is just collateral damage in Boras's eyes, but it's not surprising that Boras isn't letting Alvarez talk to anyone.

Is everyone conceding at this point that the Pirates signed Alvarez after midnight? This thing just seems so cut and dried to me if they have a valid contract. They show the fax or email with a timestamp before midnight, and that's that. The fact that the Pirates refuse to say at what time they signed Alvarez makes me nervous. If it was before midnight, what do they have to hide?

In the end though I agree with Sisyphus, I think the Pirates are going to win this. The wait is just extremely annoying.