Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is going on with Alvarez?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:17 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Screw Borass. At this point, I think that I would rather have this Pedro on the Bucs:

Only if he could bring these guys with him...

Attachments:
Jack_Bauer.jpg
Jack_Bauer.jpg [ 44.46 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]
vvv.JPG
vvv.JPG [ 14.33 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 pm 

I love this quote from Coonelly.

"We continue to believe that in Pedro Alvarez, the person and the baseball player, and remain excited to add Pedro to our system," Coonelly said. "We will sit down with Pedro as soon as Mr. Boras' claim is rejected to chart a new and more productive start to Pedro's career with the Pittsburgh Pirates."

That is sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Screw Borass. At this point, I think that I would rather have this Pedro on the Bucs:

Yeah, but can he hit a curveball?

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:47 pm 

This situation paints the exact illustration of why the Pirates were wrong in keeping their frustrations with Boras quiet. It also details the reasons why if you are going to play business with Boras, you better be prepared to play the game and do it within the established guidelines of the CBA. I blame the Pirates for even getting themselves into this situation.

Now having said that, Boras only wants to make selective comments about the Pirates and MLB that seem to imply there was improper conduct by the Pirates during the negotiations and at the supposed witching hour by MLB for extending the deadline beyond midnight.

This situation either ends in favor of the Pirates/MLB or Alvarez risks the possibility of never receiving a $6 million signing bonus as a draft pick or free agent on his entry level deal.

The ultimate reason why MLB has lost the markets like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc is because the means for which these teams can acquire quality talent in the draft or Latin America favors those who are willing and able to spend $10-15 million each year on unknown and unproven youngsters.

The Pirates are now wobbling on the edge of losing the game of chicken with the most successful and hated player agent in the sport, a game they can't possibly lose after the summer purge of hitters Jason Bay and Xavier Nady.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:38 pm 

From a cob-webbed corner of my mind, I remember that both J D Drew and Jason Varitek, both represented by Boras, refused to sign with the teams that originally drafted them (I don't recall the particulars), and went back to college, or played in the independent leagues. I think Drew was originally drafted by the Phillies, and the fans booed him endlessly when he finally made it to the majors (with the Cardinals). This kind of stuff is not unusual for Boras, and Pedro and the Pirates aren't the first to be bamboozled by Boras.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 pm 

Eric Bowser wrote:
This situation paints the exact illustration of why the Pirates were wrong in keeping their frustrations with Boras quiet. It also details the reasons why if you are going to play business with Boras, you better be prepared to play the game and do it within the established guidelines of the CBA. I blame the Pirates for even getting themselves into this situation.
Now having said that, Boras only wants to make selective comments about the Pirates and MLB that seem to imply there was improper conduct by the Pirates during the negotiations and at the supposed witching hour by MLB for extending the deadline beyond midnight.The ultimate reason why MLB has lost the markets like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc is because the means for which these teams can acquire quality talent in the draft or Latin America favors those who are willing and able to spend $10-15 million each year on unknown and unproven youngsters.

The Pirates are now wobbling on the edge of losing the game of chicken with the most successful and hated player agent in the sport, a game they can't possibly lose after the summer purge of hitters Jason Bay and Xavier Nady

Exactly. This agent's reputation and conduct is no secret. The Pirates thought they shook on a deal, and now they are going back to count their fingers. They didnt know the shot.
The irony in all of this is if he is not signed, the Pirates may be right back where they were with him on the draft board next June. I read people saying he'll be worth less. If so why did they offer so much now? Also if he does not sign, 7 Springs or Laurel Mountain make upgrades in the near future. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:23 pm 

BH,
You would have been the first on this board to cry foul if the PBC passed over Pedro because he was represented by Boras.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 pm 

This is honestly the worst I've felt about something that has happened to the Pirates since Sid Bleeping Bream crossed home plate in '92. Am I overreacting?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:39 pm 

Maybe I'm naive, but I think FC will prevail over BorASS and Pedro will be a member of the Buccos!! I think there might be bad blood between FC and BorASS, from Frank's time with MLB. Even if the worst happens, the Bucs will have 2 picks in the top 10 in '09. We don't even know if Pedro is healthy...or will be a "superstar" so..... Anyway, I think the Pirates will win this one over BorASS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 pm 

I don't want the kid...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:00 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
This is honestly the worst I've felt about something that has happened to the Pirates since Sid Bleeping Bream crossed home plate in '92. Am I overreacting?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:03 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:

Is that a yes?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:24 am 
This is a mess. Boras is obviously the biggest problem in all of this, but all parties -- the team, player and agent -- have contributed to the mess and share at least a small piece of the blame. What a mess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
BH,
You would have been the first on this board to cry foul if the PBC passed over Pedro because he was represented by Boras.

Indeed, he would have. One more example of how the Pirates can do no right in BH's eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 am 

Jim Callis over at BA had this to say:

Quote:
Jim Callis: I too don't understand how if a guy signed after the deadline, that means he can continue negotiating today. I confirmed with multiple sources that the Royals and Hosmer were granted an extension by MLB. I also heard but could not confirm that the Pirates and Alvarez (and the Nationals and Crow) got the same extension, and that Alvarez signed a few minutes after the deadline but before Hosmer. As the Pirates mention in their statement, if Alvarez' deal is invalid, that could put Hosmer's in jeopardy. And why wasn't this raised earlier?

Could the real beef be that the Players Union is miffed that an extension was granted without their consent and Borass is simply looking to ride their litigious coat tails to whatever leverage he can gain for his client(s)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 am 

The only other angle would be Borass was not present to properly represent his client when the client agreed to sign. This happened with A-Rod.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:35 am 

Argentum wrote:
Jim Callis over at BA had this to say:

Quote:
Jim Callis: I too don't understand how if a guy signed after the deadline, that means he can continue negotiating today. I confirmed with multiple sources that the Royals and Hosmer were granted an extension by MLB. I also heard but could not confirm that the Pirates and Alvarez (and the Nationals and Crow) got the same extension, and that Alvarez signed a few minutes after the deadline but before Hosmer. As the Pirates mention in their statement, if Alvarez' deal is invalid, that could put Hosmer's in jeopardy. And why wasn't this raised earlier?

Could the real beef be that the Players Union is miffed that an extension was granted without their consent and Borass is simply looking to ride their litigious coat tails to whatever leverage he can gain for his client(s)?

Sure. You can call Boras every name in the book, but if what was stated above is true, the Nutting's proclaimed best management in all of sports screwed up and this shyster is taking advantage of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:35 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

But, Arg, Boras was NOT his agent. Was not allowed to be. He was merely an advisor until Alverez agreed to a deal.

Alverez is the one being screwed here, I think. Like I mentioned earlier, I believe Alverez will be getting different representation once this is past.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 am 

Although critical of the trades, I can't fault bucco management for this. They offered the kid a contract and he accepted.

I don't see how this kid can ever play in Pittsburgh. To me, he is just another of the spoiled brat athletes that seems to populate professional sports these days. I have nothing against a guy making a good buck.....but, 6 mil for a kid not even proven yet? Gimme a break.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
Although critical of the trades, I can't fault bucco management for this. They offered the kid a contract and he accepted.

I don't see how this kid can ever play in Pittsburgh. To me, he is just another of the spoiled brat athletes that seems to populate professional sports these days. I have nothing against a guy making a good buck.....but, 6 mil for a kid not even proven yet? Gimme a break.

No different here that other pro sports. Thats the way it is. Blame the owners, agents players but why is it that they can get all this money? You and me..the sports fan. If we dont care, dont watch or go, the supply demand equation changes. Untill that changes unproven players turn very wealthy just like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next