Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: What is going on with Alvarez?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Oh great. After a long day at the office, I get to come home and read "legalese". No.9, thank you for the trip down contract law memory lane and I couldn't agree with you more. :lol:

Funny how life turns out.
I ended up Am Jur'ing Contracts I.
Didn't fare nearly as well in either Torts or Products Liability.
Yet, my practice is focused on product liability defense.
Any chance that you'll get to prosecute Casey Anthony? If so, push for the death penalty. The bitch (sorry about the language) needs to die!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:28 pm 

I'd say it is highly unlikely that I end up prosecuting her for two reasons: First, she lives in the Orlando area and secondly I am a defense attorney, although I am a former prosecutor. I saw that her bondsman was going to come off of her bond, so she will be back in custody now. I don't envy the attorney (likely a fellow PD) who is going to have to represent her. What a mess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:48 pm 

I'd say it is highly unlikely that I end up prosecuting her for two reasons: First, she lives in the Orlando area and secondly I am a defense attorney, although I am a former prosecutor. I saw that her bondsman was going to come off of her bond, so she will be back in custody now. I don't envy the attorney (likely a fellow PD) who is going to have to represent her. What a mess.

I made the comment with tongue firmly planted in cheek - knowing full well that you aren't in the Orlando area. However, I didn't know that you left the prosecutor's office. Public defender's office? I hope all is going well for you.

Casey Anthony needs to go away forever. Every time I look at my innocent little 4 year old angel, I want to strangle Casey Anthony with my bare hands, rip off her head and, as Jack Nicholson said in A Few Good Men, p_ss in her dead skull. My heart aches when I think about what might have happened to that little girl. To think that she was likely killed by the very person to whom she looked up to and trusted makes me sick to my stomach.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:49 pm 

Let's hope it's not this guy:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Funny how life turns out.
I ended up Am Jur'ing Contracts I.
Didn't fare nearly as well in either Torts or Products Liability.
Yet, my practice is focused on product liability defense.

Your contract analysis did not need and would not have benefitted from any contribtion by me. You must read a lot of contracts as part of your practice, since products cases involve sales and distribution agreements and indemnity issues.

Remember what we learned in law school about ANY case that involved a potential contract issue: RTFC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:26 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Remember what we learned in law school about ANY case that involved a potential contract issue: RTFC

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 am 

RTFC .....Read the Full Contract

That includes knowing the proper procedure in the Pirate Fiasco. The best FO in baseball, maybe all of sports didnt know the shot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:27 am 

bullishhitter wrote:

That includes knowing the proper procedure in the Pirate Fiasco. The best FO in baseball, maybe all of sports didnt know the shot

No, I think you're wrong, Bull. I'm pretty sure that Coonelly knew exactly how Boras operated and knows exactly what he's doing now. I don't know what "shot" you're talking about, but it appears that Frank Coonelly is the one really making the power play by pointing out the Hosmer situation. Like No. 9, PoP and Bucfan, I only see two things that could result from the resolution of this issue, and neither result is one that Boras wants. If anyone other than Boras is going to look bad here, it will be MLB for turning a hard deadline into a soft one. The Pirates appear to have played this one correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 am 

Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

No, I think you're wrong, Bull. I'm pretty sure that Coonelly knew exactly how Boras operated and knows exactly what he's doing now. I don't know what "shot" you're talking about, but it appears that Frank Coonelly is the one really making the power play by pointing out the Hosmer situation. Like No. 9, PoP and Bucfan, I only see two things that could result from the resolution of this issue, and neither result is one that Boras wants. If anyone other than Boras is going to look bad here, it will be MLB for turning a hard deadline into a soft one. The Pirates appear to have played this one correctly.

If FC knew exactly what how this was all going to come down he would have followed all procedures so Boras would not have an out. Boras is a egomaniac jerk, but FC is no saint in this....and his ego got in the way too. They dont like each other and that is also part of the problem. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside to resolve a situation. You would think from what the Pirates spin that they played this correctly. I'm not so sure

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
If FC knew exactly what how this was all going to come down he would have followed all procedures so Boras would not have an out. Boras is a egomaniac jerk, but FC is no saint in this....and his ego got in the way too. They dont like each other and that is also part of the problem. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside to resolve a situation. You would think from what the Pirates spin that they played this correctly. I'm not so sure

What out does Boras have? FC apparently needed more time to negotiate, so he asked for permission from MLB. Alvarez appears to have been fine with it, as he agreed to deal within the extension time. So what out does Boras have? If the contract is valid, then Alvarez is bound and Boras comes in second place to Buster Posey's agent, CAA. If the contract is void, then ipso facto Hosmer's contract is also void, and Boras loses a paycheck and likely a few clients. So tell me, where is this "out"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm 

Willton wrote:
What out does Boras have? FC apparently needed more time to negotiate, so he asked for permission from MLB. Alvarez appears to have been fine with it, as he agreed to deal within the extension time. So what out does Boras have? If the contract is valid, then Alvarez is bound and Boras comes in second place to Buster Posey's agent, CAA. If the contract is void, then ipso facto Hosmer's contract is also void, and Boras loses a paycheck and likely a few clients. So tell me, where is this "out"?

What out? I dont know. It seems strange because as you said he would seem to be out of money....so why is he doing this? Most likely answer...to get more money. But from all accounts, nobody gets money if the deal falls through(except Nutting saves the 6 mil) The procedure in this deal is what is in question. As has been reported this may be a ego battle between SB & FC. If it based on ego(emotions) money normally trumps that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Willton wrote:

What out? I dont know. It seems strange because as you said he would seem to be out of money....so why is he doing this? Most likely answer...to get more money. But from all accounts, nobody gets money if the deal falls through(except Nutting saves the 6 mil) The procedure in this deal is what is in question. As has been reported this may be a ego battle between SB & FC. If it based on ego(emotions) money normally trumps that

I still don't understand your point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
If the contract is valid, then Alvarez is bound and Boras comes in second place to Buster Posey's agent, CAA. If the contract is void, then ipso facto Hosmer's contract is also void, and Boras loses a paycheck and likely a few clients. So tell me, where is this "out"?

And, likely also loses Alverez to CAA because of the fiasco he created.

ZM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6