Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is going on with Alvarez?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm 

What is the deal with Alvarez?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_584855.html, this seems odd. Frankly, I am a bit concerned about his desire.

I'd be down to pick up my check the minute after I agreed to the deal.

Post subject: Re: What is going on with Alvarez?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:57 pm 
If what this report says is true, Alvarez and Borras are being d*cks, plain and simple. He's now employed by the Pirates (and being paid quite handsomely), he needs to start to perform his job duties. Yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm 

Just another reason to think Boras is terrible for the game. He thinks he's getting leverage points against the Pirates but what he is essentially doing is costing him probably 1 full season. That full season could be the difference between reaching 500 or 600 Home Runs in a career. If I was him, I'd want to get started quick because if Andy LaRoche catches fire, the Pirates can take their time in bringing up Alvarez.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 pm 
Piratefan13 wrote:
Just another reason to think Boras is terrible for the game. He thinks he's getting leverage points against the Pirates but what he is essentially doing is costing him probably 1 full season. That full season could be the difference between reaching 500 or 600 Home Runs in a career. If I was him, I'd want to get started quick because if Andy LaRoche catches fire, the Pirates can take their time in bringing up Alvarez.

I agree with what you say about Boras. He's mostly to blame here, but you can't absolve Alvarez entirely. Yes, he is getting bad advice apparently, but he is an adult too, so he has to be accountable for his actions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm 

Once Alvarez agreed to the contract, the Pirates immediately sent him a $3 million bonus. At that point he became an employee. He should have reported to wherever the Pirates wanted him to be the very next day.

I could see a one or two day delay but this is ridiculous. So far I don't like this guy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:39 pm 

Another point - I sense an ongoing litany of trouble with this player, as he seems to care only about himself. I lump him in with Gary Sheffield, Juan Gonzalez, Manny Ramirez, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Another point - I sense an ongoing litany of trouble with this player, as he seems to care only about himself. I lump him in with Gary Sheffield, Juan Gonzalez, Manny Ramirez, etc.

As he should care about himself. The team certainly doesn't care about him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm 

Lanny just read a statement that the Pirates have placed Alvarez on the restricted list through the commish's office, and Boras is saying Alvarez will not sign the contract until it is renegotiated for a higher bonus. Is that possible?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:42 pm 

I don't care if this guy is the next Babe Ruth....he's gotta go. You can't keep or deal with a guy who doesn't want to come to Pittsburgh. Get the 3 million back, get him restricted for another year, and tell him to hit the road.

It just shows how low Pittsburgh has dropped, in the way of respect given them by baseball, period. No one wants to come here or play here. It's like playing for the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL. At least Bay and Nady would've liked to stay. It's humiliating, and a shame. A crying shame. It tears me up because this city, and the folks that live here, deserve so much more.

If he don't want to be here....then I don't want him around.

Last edited by Steve1118 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm 

BBF wrote:
Lanny just read a statement that the Pirates have placed Alvarez on the restricted list through the commish's office, and Boras is saying Alvarez will not sign the contract until it is renegotiated for a higher bonus. Is that possible?

That's freakin' classic. What's next for this organization, Jose Tabata leaving Altoona to join the circus?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:50 pm 

Willton wrote:

Yeah, after committing millions of dollars to this kid, the Pirates "certainly" don't care whether he turns out to be a good player or not. They could care less. Riiiiiiiight. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:55 pm 
No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

Yeah, after committing millions of dollars to this kid, the Pirates "certainly" don't care whether he turns out to be a good player or not. They could care less. Riiiiiiiight. :roll:

Don't care about him? They just gave him millions of dollars. This is totally unprofessional. Holding out so you get the deal you want is looking out for yourself and there's nothing wrong with that. Agreeing to a deal then not showing up -- ie not living up to your end of the deal -- is the behavior of a slimeball.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:03 pm 

From the PPG and DK: http://post-gazette.com/pg/08240/907355-63.stm

I find it interesting that the union is going to be taking the position that the agreement occurred AFTER the midnight deadline. While I have not played this scenario out completely in my head, my first reaction to this involves the creation of a potential conflict of interest issue with Boras. Was Boras authorized to accept the deal on behalf of Alvarez? If so, isn't he converted from an "advisor" to an "agent?" If so, then Alvarez may not return to Vanderbilt. If Boras attempted to secure the deal by midnight and failed to do so, isn't he guilty of professional negligence?

This smacks to me of a deliberate strategy . . . . take it to the last second . . . . try to force a renegotiation after the deadline . . . if it can't be renegotiated, tell the club that you won't sign the contract and that you will challenge the legitimacy of the agreement due to it not occurring until after the midnight deadline.

This has all the makings of a lot of billable hours for the Pirates' outside counsel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:06 pm 
Great point No. 9. While this seems to be the work of Boras, and not the fault of Pirates management, can you say you're surprised? If the Pirates didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm 

Elmer wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

Don't care about him? They just gave him millions of dollars. This is totally unprofessional. Holding out so you get the deal you want is looking out for yourself and there's nothing wrong with that. Agreeing to a deal then not showing up -- ie not living up to your end of the deal -- is the behavior of a slimeball.

It happens all the time in sports. Players still under contract hold out for a fatter contract. It is rare that a player who just signs never shows up and holds for more. But look at the situation...the MLB club is sinking and stinking. The owner claims his management is the best in MLB maybe in all of sports. And now their so called savior is not there? It may be slimeball but if the player walkd, mangement looks bad and the rebuild plan is pushed back more. The agent has some leverage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I can't believe that the Union would follow through with a motion that would void KC's signing, too. They would be costing two players money, time and experience.

I see Pedro with a new "advisor" in the long run.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:14 pm 

This is from DK's blog . . . the Pirates' press release:

"At the Pirates' request, the Office of the Commissioner today placed Pedro Alvarez on Major League Baseball's Restricted List. The Pirates were forced to request that Pedro be placed on the Restricted List because we were informed by his agent, Scott Boras, that Pedro will not sign the contract to which he agreed on August 15. Boras further informed us that Pedro will not report to the Club unless we renegotiate his contract and agree to pay him more than the $6 million signing bonus to which he agreed.

"The Major League Rules provide that a player who refuses to sign a Uniform Player Contract to which he has agreed and report to the signing Club shall, upon a report of the signing Club, be placed on the Restricted List until he signs a contract reflecting the terms to which he has agreed. Such a player may not sign a contract with or play for any other Club. While demanding that we renegotiate his contract and pay Pedro more than the $6 million signing bonus to which Pedro agreed, Mr. Boras has contended that the contract we reached with Pedro was consummated after the Aug. 15 deadline. This claim was not raised on the evening of the 15th when we informed Mr. Boras that Major League Baseball had confirmed that the contract was submitted in a timely fashion. Mr. Boras asserted this claim several days later, after all of the draft signings had become publicized.

"The Pirates are confident that the contract reached with Pedro Alvarez was agreed to and submitted to Major League Baseball in a timely fashion and properly accepted by Major League Baseball. In fact, the contract between the Kansas City Royals and Eric Hosmer, another Boras client, was submitted to the Office of the Commissioner after our contract with Pedro was submitted. Mr. Boras is apparently satisfied with the $6 million bonus that he secured for Mr. Hosmer and has not challenged the validity of that contract. Mr. Boras has been informed that if he pursues a claim that our contract with Pedro was not timely he puts Eric Hosmer's contract with Kansas City in jeopardy.

"The Pirates made several attempts to commence negotiations immediately following the draft and were willing and ready to agree to pay Pedro a $6 million signing bonus from the very outset. Predictably, however, Mr. Boras refused to engage in any negotiations at all until shortly before the August 15 deadline and even then an agreement was reached only after Pedro took control of the negotiations.

"Regrettably, we are not surprised that Mr. Boras would attempt to raise a meritless legal claim in an effort to compel us to renegotiate Pedro's contract to one more to his liking. We are, however, disappointed that Pedro would allow his agent to pursue this claim on his behalf. Pedro showed tremendous fortitude and independent thinking when he agreed to his contract on August 15.

"The Office of the Commissioner has assured us that we have a valid contract with Pedro and that it will vigorously defend any claim to the contrary. Despite our disappointment, we continue to believe in Pedro Alvarez the person and the baseball player and remain excited to add Pedro to our system. We will sit down with Pedro and his family as soon as Mr. Boras' claim is rejected to chart a new and much more productive start to Pedro's career with the Pittsburgh Pirates."

I particularly like the following portion of the press release:

In fact, the contract between the Kansas City Royals and Eric Hosmer, another Boras client, was submitted to the Office of the Commissioner after our contract with Pedro was submitted. Mr. Boras is apparently satisfied with the $6 million bonus that he secured for Mr. Hosmer and has not challenged the validity of that contract. Mr. Boras has been informed that if he pursues a claim that our contract with Pedro was not timely he puts Eric Hosmer's contract with Kansas City in jeopardy.

The Bucs don't appear to be backing down and, if they end up losing Alvarez on this "late agreement" argument, then one of Boras' other clients loses his bonus.

Boras may be a ruthless agent but it appears that his ego has gotten a bit out of hand.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
I don't care if this guy is the next Babe Ruth....he's gotta go. You can't keep or deal with a guy who doesn't want to come to Pittsburgh. Get the 3 million back, get him restricted for another year, and tell him to hit the road.

It just shows how low Pittsburgh has dropped, in the way of respect given them by baseball, period. No one wants to come here or play here.

He wants more money. Odd that he signed but thats what its all about...money. If he does not play what does ownership look like? Failed to upgrade the talent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 pm 

Nicely stated Frank. Let him walk if they won't sign for $6 million. I'm with ZM, I think Pedro ultimately ends up with a new agent.

Borass loses the PR battle as well. This town detests tactics such as those being employed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm 

Wow, this is some heavy stuff. It looks like the Pirates are holding a pretty strong hand.

I can respect any business person holding out for as much money as they can get. I cannot respect someone playing dirty tricks of this type to try to circumvent the process and glorify himself.

This guy appears to be a scumbag of the highest magnitude.