All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutting ...more hand outs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 am 

Hand out stadium, hand out lux tax..and now this for his ski business

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08234/905937-59.stm

Post subject: Re: Nutting ...more hand outs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 am 

Quote:
Mr. Nutting, whose family purchased Seven Springs in 2006 and also has a 25 percent stake in the Pittsburgh Pirates

So really Nutting has only 25% of the blame for not shelling out millions of dollars for superstar players that you think will make us WS contenders. How come I don't hear you blab about the rest of the ownership? What if Nutting wanted to give AROD a contract but the rest of the ownership group declined??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 am 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Robert Nutting ...Chairman
Kevin S. McClatchy
G. Ogden Nutting
Donald Beaver
William Nutting
Duane Wittman

Whole lot of Nutting(nothing) on the board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:08 pm 

Yawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:21 pm 

Willton wrote:
Yawn

Are you fatigued after 16 years in a row? Expect anything to perk you up next year? The same old tired and boring results. Nighty night!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 pm 
Bull, I see your point and agree with you on certain points. Nutting has been a good business man/horrible owner for years.

But, do you see any reason for optimism given the changes that he seems to be making recently? I mean, the "old nutting" wouldn't have spend on the draft the way he did?

I know it means nothing if he doesn't keep at it, sign the right guys, boost payroll, etc., but given what you've seen in the last couple months, do you see any evidence that might make you think things MIGHT be a little different?

I'm on the fence, but I do like some of what he's done lately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:29 pm 

Elmer

They trade for the most part their best players who would cost major coin to retain for cheaper prospects. To their credit, they draft and sign a higher end prospect(s). That is just a reallocation of funds..not more money spent....and many praise them? Mike Keaton has said, at some point you have to write the check. If and its a BIG IF, some prospects turn into productive star players, will ownership write the check or increase the payroll to keep them? Past actions are the best indicators of future performance and I've seen nothing indicating a change. They are not going to risk the profit they have a lock on to win. They will be a bottom tier payroll team in their division let alone the rest of MLB. The cards are stacked against them to win, yet stacked in their favor to lose and make millions. Is something wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:45 pm 

Quote:
Mike Keaton has said, at some point you have to write the check.

Write the check for who? Nady? I would hope not. Bay? Maybe, but was he getting us there? No. He was a real nice player, but not the anchor of a team kind of guy. If this Alvarez proves to be the real deal, they will write the check for him I'm sure.

Speaking of Alvarez, http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_584855.html, this seems odd. Frankly, I am a bit concerned about his desire.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:07 pm 
Bull,

Of course there's something wrong. I'm with you in that I won't trust Nutting totally until I SEE the bigger salaries paid, retaining expensive players, etc. That said, I don't see it as bleak as you see it. I finally see at least THE CHANCE that things may be changing. Alvarez opened my eyes a lot. If they don't follow that up with spending some money this offseason and in future seasons, I'm right back with you. Right now, though, I'm cautiously optimistic that things are a getting a little better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:
Mr. Nutting, whose family purchased Seven Springs in 2006 and also has a 25 percent stake in the Pittsburgh Pirates

So really Nutting has only 25% of the blame for not shelling out millions of dollars for superstar players that you think will make us WS contenders. How come I don't hear you blab about the rest of the ownership? What if Nutting wanted to give AROD a contract but the rest of the ownership group declined??

bullishhitter wrote:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Kevin S. McClatchy
G. Ogden Nutting
Donald Beaver
William Nutting
Duane Wittman

So Bull, Robert Nutting has been at the job since last July as chairman and only has a 25% share, so how can you blame him for 16 years when he's only been here a year?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:32 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:

bullishhitter wrote:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Kevin S. McClatchy
G. Ogden Nutting
Donald Beaver
William Nutting
Duane Wittman

So Bull, Robert Nutting has been at the job since last July as chairman and only has a 25% share, so how can you blame him for 16 years when he's only been here a year?

His Daddy and McClatchy bought the team in 96. Nutting family money has been the major influence. Their cheapness along with stupidity is why you can feel proud a year from now when they set the longest yearly losing streak for a major pro sports team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 pm 

Nutting should stick to running newspapers instead of thinking he can run a baseball team. Kevin McClatchy was evidence of that!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 pm 

So when your dad does something dumb or stupid, do people put the blame on you too?

Since he has taken control theres been a bunch of changes made to this organization, off and on the field...the final result will be the winning, which is what they are building but you just ignore that with 16 years blah blah blah...

That streak wouldnt even be a record if it wasnt for a lucky season from the LA Clippers a few years ago...

The Pirates might be bad but they're are not the Clippers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:45 pm 

huntingdonbuccofan wrote:
Nutting should stick to running newspapers instead of thinking he can run a baseball team. Kevin McClatchy was evidence of that!!!!

It's been said he knows nothing of running a baseball team, thats why he hired Coonley from the MLB Front Office to overlook the team!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
The Pirates might be bad but they are not the Clippers

the 2009 Pirate slogan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

the 2009 Pirate slogan

Avoid the question...like you always do...

Someone tries to be civil with you and brings up a point of discussion you're quick to move on to something else...

go run back to you cave and wait for the bandwagon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

the 2009 Pirate slogan

Avoid the question...like you always do...

Someone tries to be civil with you and brings up a point of discussion you're quick to move on to something else...

go run back to you cave and wait for the bandwagon

"So when your dad does something dumb or stupid, do people put the blame on you too?"

Is that your question? If so, it just so happens that I was in business together with my Dad(he's long since retired)and yes you get credit & blame. I found that out first hand. Any other questions from the bat cave er uh the Pirate cave?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:21 pm 

Bullish I can't wait for the day when I am randomly standing in line in a public place somewhere and I look at the person in front of my as I'm idly killing time and I realize it's you. I'll just know because something so ridiculously stupid (and most likely repetitive) will come out of your mouth and I'll say, "did IQ points just drop suddenly? Because if so then it must be Bullishhitter." It will be such a pleasure to tell you to go 'eff yourself right to your face. Please drop dead. Have a nice day! :P

XoXoOxoOOx
yeahimajerk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 am 

yeahimajerk wrote:
Bullish I can't wait for the day when I am randomly standing in line in a public place somewhere and I look at the person in front of my as I'm idly killing time and I realize it's you. I'll just know because something so ridiculously stupid (and most likely repetitive) will come out of your mouth and I'll say, "did IQ points just drop suddenly? Because if so then it must be Bullishhitter." It will be such a pleasure to tell you to go 'eff yourself right to your face. Please drop dead. Have a nice day! :P

XoXoOxoOOx
yeahimajerk.

While most guys think along the lines about having a 3-way pleasuring encounter with 2 stunning voluptuous vixens, you indulge in fantasies about randomly insulting a total stranger. To each his own.....and keep waiting for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:54 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
"So when your dad does something dumb or stupid, do people put the blame on you too?"

Is that your question? If so, it just so happens that I was in business together with my Dad(he's long since retired)and yes you get credit & blame. I found that out first hand. Any other questions from the bat cave er uh the Pirate cave?

Here's one: is that fair? Is it fair to judge the younger generation based upon the action or inaction of the older generation? Is it fair for you to receive the credit/blame of your father's business decisions? Is it fair to heap all of the poor choices of Ogden upon Bob?

I'm not asking whether it happens or not; surely it does. What I want to know is whether you think that is a fair way to evaluate someone.