It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucs complete Bautista deal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:02 pm 
Depth at catcher. I'll take it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08238/906884-100.stm

Post subject: Re: Bucs complete Bautista deal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:39 pm 

They traded Bautista for a Bautista-like player at a position of need. A little underwhelming, but I can't be upset about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:42 pm 

Willton wrote:
They traded Bautista for a Bautista-like player at a position of need. A little underwhelming, but I can't be upset about it.

Basically a trade for a younger version of Bautista at a different position...Does anyone know how he is denfensively?

I'm alright with the deal, I didn't think we were pulling anything too big for Bautista...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:52 pm 

It sounds as if it is a catcher who can hit for average with no power and provide good defense. In other words, take Ronny Paulino and add some good defense. Looks like an option to back up Doumit next year.

Methinks Ronny might be the next guy out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:00 pm 

BBF wrote:
In other words, take Ronny Paulino and add some good defense.

And about 50 pounds lighter

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:22 pm 

BBF wrote:
It sounds as if it is a catcher who can hit for average with no power and provide good defense. In other words, take Ronny Paulino and add some good defense. Looks like an option to back up Doumit next year.

Yeah, he's got to be scratching his head on this one. Or his belly...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 pm 
BBF wrote:

That makes me smile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:35 pm 

When you look at the catching position throughout the league Paulino would be attractive to some clubs I would think. A team willing to take a chance that he finds his rookie form. I was thinking that yesterday watching the game. Although Kendall has apparently had a resurgence with his throwing arm he was never good defensively. Who would you rather have? Paulino or Kendall. Both poor defensively but Paulino with some pop in his bat and probably would hit for a bit higher average. So I think it makes perfect sense to trade Paulino. Heck I could live with Chavez as a backup catcher who plays once a week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:44 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:

It makes more sense in light of the interview with NH on Sunday, pre-game. That was a pretty amazing interview in and of itself on a number of fronts, but to Joey Bats.... NH said that this was about attitude and desires as much as anything. NH and the PBC viewed JoeyBats as a supersub after letting him try to win out the position. They believe LaRoche is ahead of him, and projects higher. They feel the same about Walker down the road. So, they said, go to AAA and become the utility guy we envision, and JoeyBats came back with, "No, I want to be a starter, I feel I am starting material".

With that, the PBC said send him somewhere else. We want players who want to be here, and who are happy with the roles we need them to fill.

That was just one item in an interveiw chock full of goodies by NH.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:28 am 

Finally, the organization did something right!!!! Joey Bass was an underachieve crybaby who at times showed brillance but could not keep the fire lit. Ronny P needs to do something - what I do not know. All I know is that here is a guy who thought he should be the showcase player on a team that is still trying to find its identy. Bautista can be a good ball player, but he needs to grow the hell up before he can handle the every day routine at third base. Andy LaRoche is a question mark overall, but could be the fit they need. Bob Walk and Greg Brown talked about Adam LaRoche tonight and asked what the situation could be come next April if he continues to wait until late May or June to start swinging a hot bat. My vote is for Dougie M. He is a solid, hardnose throw-back baseball player who plays the game at full tilt every minute he is on the field and even when he is not.
With Joey Bass out of the Burgh it is evident Neal Huntington is probably thinking it should have been Bautista instead of Bay that should have been traded!!!!