Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LaRoche and Russell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:32 pm 

Saw something yesterday that has been missing from our Pirates all season. Davidson's strike call on what I thought was clearly an outside pitch, provoked several comments by the normally quiet and reserved LaRoche. Most of us were becinning to think he was emotionless. In the next half inning he and Davidson had more words and Adam was tossed. Good. Glad to see him show some life and get excited about the game.

Russell was even more of a shock to my sysrem. Wow, he's almost always composed and he went ballistic with Davidson after the ejection of LaRoche. Finally, finally he got off some steam. Of course he was also ejected but I'm sure that the entire team was pleased that he went to bat so strongly for one of his players.

Will that make them win more? Probably not, but it is encouraging that these two in particular showed that they are human beings with boiling points too. Good to see that they care and are not willing to just mail it in for the rest of the year.

Post subject: Re: LaRoche and Russell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm 

Adam was robbed but that's the way it goes sometimes.

The 4th pitch was called a ball while the 5th pitch was called a strike! LaRoche mentioned in today's paper that he didn't really get angry until he saw the replay in the dugout.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:29 pm 

Good job Argentum! That shows it right there. The 4th pitch drew some gasps from the crowd and some stares from Sabathia for it not being called a strike, which "set up" LaRoche to take the subsequent pitch that was further outside. Absolutely ridiculous. I would have gotten thrown out, too, only right away, not a half an inning later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:50 pm 

Wow how do you call a pitch in or close to the strike zone a ball and the VERY next pitch farther away from the plate a strike? That is just bad umpering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 am 

I know this will sound a little funny but here it goes:
I am a Little League umpire in Huntingdon, PA. Not that I am the best or the worst, but there are times when even a kid has you fooled. Not that I am taking the side of the umpire on this, but there are times I think the umpires are trying to guess the pitches so that can look for it. I've been guilty of it too.
If any of you remember in the 90s when Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux and the staff of the Atlanta Braves were getting calls clear out of the strike zone.
When a pitcher of the caliber of C.C. is on the mound nine times outta 10 he is going to get close calls not that the pitches to Adam were even close, however, there should be some consistency with a strike zone and MLB and the union for the umps should really take a look at some of these umps who are giving away to pitchers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Wow how do you call a pitch in or close to the strike zone a ball and the VERY next pitch farther away from the plate a strike? That is just bad umpering.

It's one thing to blow the call, another to antagonize the player afterward. That is REALLY bad umpiring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:36 pm 

huntingdonbuccofan wrote:
I know this will sound a little funny but here it goes:
I am a Little League umpire in Huntingdon, PA. Not that I am the best or the worst, but there are times when even a kid has you fooled. Not that I am taking the side of the umpire on this, but there are times I think the umpires are trying to guess the pitches so that can look for it. I've been guilty of it too.
If any of you remember in the 90s when Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux and the staff of the Atlanta Braves were getting calls clear out of the strike zone.
When a pitcher of the caliber of C.C. is on the mound nine times outta 10 he is going to get close calls not that the pitches to Adam were even close, however, there should be some consistency with a strike zone and MLB and the union for the umps should really take a look at some of these umps who are giving away to pitchers.

One thing about umpires that really used to kill me was that they would call balls and strikes as if every hitter stood exactly the same distance from the plate. For example, if the average guy stood 10 inches off of the plate, then the inside corner was 10 inches from every batter, no matter where he stood in the box. This was quite apparent when I was catching, and even moreso when I was batting, as I stood about as far away from the plate as you could get. I often took called "strikes" that were a foot or more inside. The worst thing was that you couldn't count on them moving the outside corner in by the same amount, so I was effectively standing at a plate that was almost 30 inches wide instead of the standard 17. Drove me crazy. Did anyone else notice this tendency?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

Substitute2 wrote:
In the next half inning he and Davidson had more words and Adam was tossed. Good. Glad to see him show some life and get excited about the game.

Good? I don't see that as good. Baseball fans accept as given that it's 'good' to get the blood going vs the umpire; that it's 'good' for a manager to find *something* to argue with an umpire if mgr's team is getting embarrassed on the field. I think it's more silly than good.

J

Last edited by Dave Augustine on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am 
 WWW  Profile

huntingdonbuccofan wrote:
but there are times I think the umpires are trying to guess the pitches so they can look for it.

Excellent point. I think that happens a lot. I believe that's exactly what happened at the Steelers-Lions coin toss fiasco a few years ago.

Remember that? At the overtime coin toss, Jerome Bettis called 'Heads!', coin landed heads, referee said that Bettis called Tails. No he didn't; you can hear Bettis saying "Heads!" on the audio. Ref was guessing what Bettis would say, and in just a split second of carelessness, ref transferred his "I bet he'll say Tails!" thought into "He said Tails!" A careless mistake that ref regretted like three seconds later, but stuck to his guns to avoid embarrassment.

J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:09 pm 

If you want this thresd to become comments about umpires, here goes.

My biggest concern is not that Nolan Ryan got calls at all. I'm troubled by the umpire seeking out the player and challanging him by physically going to where the player is to prvoke more argument. He ought to be above that, after all he's got all the power and with it responsibility. Often the seem to want to eject players. That's really wrong.