Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How can you root for a team that dissapoints
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:23 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
1. I disagree.....the feistiness left when Bay and Nady did.

Are you saying that Nady and Bay were "feisty?" If so, you apparently don't watch the same games most of us do.

Steve1118 wrote:
3. Based on sixteen years of losing baseball. Watching trade after trade for young "studs".

Like I say, I hope I'm wrong.

The past sixteen years saw very few young players coming over in trades. Most of the people DL received in trades were over the age of 26. That's not young in my book. This is the first time we've seen a legit effort to acquire young players. You cannot reasonably claim that you've seen what has happend this past season happen over and over again. If you had, we likely would not be on this 16-year losing streak.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 pm 

What was that about quitting again? A team that is interested in competing does not lose 10 in a row and 14 out of 16 at the dog days of the season. Whoever said that the Nady and Bay trades sucked the life and competitiveness out of this team was spot on.

Like I said, I'm a big Bucco fan, and I do believe the front office is going about things the right way, its just disheartening to see the players give up. They were at or around 4-7 games under .500 all season. It's still 4-7 games under .500 but it would've been an improvement.

Like a wise man who once had the highest sports talk ratings in town once said, guys like Wilson, Bay, Giles, etc like playing in Pittsburgh because there are absolutely no expectations or pressure that comes with the job. A-Rod is hitting .306 with 28 home runs for the Yankees, but gets killed up there because he hits into double plays. Would anybody ever boo a guy hitting .306 with 28 home runs and 80 RBI for a team 8 games over .500 in August or even notice if he failed to deliever a few key hits in clutch situations here? Hell no, we'd be 8 games over .500. Sure nobody is thrilled over the prospect of coming here and not winning, but it's a nice ballpark in a nice city and if got to go to my job everyday and be guaranteed no stress or pressure in a loose environment, I'd love collecting that paycheck too. Sign me up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:41 pm 

omgardd wrote:
What was that about quitting again? A team that is interested in competing does not lose 10 in a row and 14 out of 16 at the dog days of the season. Whoever said that the Nady and Bay trades sucked the life and competitiveness out of this team was spot on.

Like I said, I'm a big Bucco fan, and I do believe the front office is going about things the right way, its just disheartening to see the players give up. They were at or around 4-7 games under .500 all season. It's still 4-7 games under .500 but it would've been an improvement.

Like a wise man who once had the highest sports talk ratings in town once said, guys like Wilson, Bay, Giles, etc like playing in Pittsburgh because there are absolutely no expectations or pressure that comes with the job. A-Rod is hitting .306 with 28 home runs for the Yankees, but gets killed up there because he hits into double plays. Would anybody ever boo a guy hitting .306 with 28 home runs and 80 RBI for a team 8 games over .500 in August or even notice if he failed to deliever a few key hits in clutch situations here? Hell no, we'd be 8 games over .500. Sure nobody is thrilled over the prospect of coming here and not winning, but it's a nice ballpark in a nice city and if got to go to my job everyday and be guaranteed no stress or pressure in a loose environment, I'd love collecting that paycheck too. Sign me up.

Bay and Nady and the rest of the Pirates organization from CEO to Peanut Vendors knew they were going to be traded before the deadline...

Yeah, this team has just given up and collecting a paycheck...yeah, sure...yep, none of those guys out there are trying to win...

They're just not playing well right now, they have guys starting to take their lumps for the 1st time as regular Major League Players...

People need to get the 16 years of losing out of their head...tough shit, 17 might happen next season too, and we'll hear about it atleast 20 times next season in a Bob Smizik column too...This team was in shambles a year ago when Coonelly and Huntington took over and have busted their asses to atleast to build up some sort of depth in the organization and went out and acquired what could be some very good quality players in the draft.

I got news for alot of you out there...Neal Huntington is not Jesus!!! He can't walk on water or turn water into wine and can't turn the Pirates into contenders overnight!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:04 pm 

omgardd wrote:
Would anybody ever boo a guy hitting .306 with 28 home runs and 80 RBI for a team 8 games over .500 in August or even notice if he failed to deliever a few key hits in clutch situations here?

Actually, that is EXACTLY the treatment Jason Bay got around these parts and others (including the PG Q&A). I can't even count the number of times we heard that Bay wasn't clutch. People hated him, sincerely hated him. Until we traded him, that is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:24 pm 

I didn't think that Bay was clutch at all. I still don't. His problem was we expected him to be our clean-up hitter. Couldn't do it. He is a nice addition to a line-up but not the center of that line-up. He'll add a lot to the offense but not carry it except when on his infrequent hot hitting 10 day periods.

Keeping him would never have made us a winner. We are several years from that and his peek has already been reached. By then his skills will deminish and we wouldn't have gotten some of these guys to build on.

To suggest that people hated Bay is a big time over-statement, again not true.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 am 

omgardd wrote:
What was that about quitting again? A team that is interested in competing does not lose 10 in a row and 14 out of 16 at the dog days of the season.

It does when it isn't very good.

Quote:
Whoever said that the Nady and Bay trades sucked the life and competitiveness out of this team was spot on.

No, he would have been spot on if he had said that the trades sucked the OFFENSE out of the team.

Quote:

Give me an example of something you've seen that demonstrates that the team has given up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
1. I disagree.....the feistiness left when Bay and Nady did.

LOL. Too bad the old board is gone. You could go back and read post after post complaining that Bay didn't care.

Quote:
2. Of course, Bay, Wilson and others want to stay here. It is a great city, with great people, and a great community to be a part of and to raise a family in. No argument, there. But, those guys are Pittsburghers. You have to be here to see that. Pittsburgh, to those on the outside looking in, is the hinterland.

Jack Wilson is from California. Jason Bay isn't even an American, let alone a Pittsburgher.

Quote:
3. Based on sixteen years of losing baseball. Watching trade after trade for young "studs".

So Neal Huntingdon's trades won't work out because Dave Littlefields trades didn't work out? Do you understand how irrational that is?

Feel free to list all the trades for young studs over the last 16 years that didn't work out.

Quote:
Like I say, I hope I'm wrong.

You can relax then, because you are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:49 am 

nad69dan wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Bay and Nady and the rest of the Pirates organization from CEO to Peanut Vendors knew they were going to be traded before the deadline...

Yeah, this team has just given up and collecting a paycheck...yeah, sure...yep, none of those guys out there are trying to win...

They're just not playing well right now, they have guys starting to take their lumps for the 1st time as regular Major League Players...

People need to get the 16 years of losing out of their head...tough shit, 17 might happen next season too, and we'll hear about it atleast 20 times next season in a Bob Smizik column too...This team was in shambles a year ago when Coonelly and Huntington took over and have busted their asses to atleast to build up some sort of depth in the organization and went out and acquired what could be some very good quality players in the draft.

I got news for alot of you out there...Neal Huntington is not Jesus!!! He can't walk on water or turn water into wine and can't turn the Pirates into contenders overnight!!!

Yes, Neal Huntington has done a respectable job this year, I wasn't referring to him at all in my post. I wouldn't have a problem if this team played at the rate they were going earlier in the year, 4-7 games under .500 is probably a little better than I expected, and they were playing hard everyday. That being said, they've lost 10 in a row, 14 out of 16, the pitching is terrible, the hitting is lifeless and the games haven't even been close for the most part.

I don't know about you Nads, but I certainly didn't expect this team to play like the 4th worst team in baseball. If everybody from the peanut vendors to the players themselves expected the Bay and Nady trade, then please explain the lifelessness of this team and how a team playing respectable ball for most of the season suddenly collapses.

Last edited by omgardd on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:00 am 

sisyphus wrote:
omgardd wrote:
What was that about quitting again? A team that is interested in competing does not lose 10 in a row and 14 out of 16 at the dog days of the season.

quote]

They did not go out and gut the team or do a Florida Marlins type fire sale.
Apparently though they traded they only players capable of carrying the team to any sort of respectablity. I guess I didn't expect guys like Doumit, McLouth or Maholm to tail off and I definitely didn't expect leaders like Sanchez, Wilson or Doug to let the team sink this low.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:03 am 

omgardd wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Yes, Neal Huntington has done a respectable job this year, I wasn't referring to him at all in my post. I wouldn't have a problem if this team played at the rate they were going earlier in the year, 4-7 games under .500 is probably a little better than I expected, and they were playing hard everyday. That being said, they've lost 10 in a row, 14 out of 16, the pitching is terrible, the hitting is lifeless and the games haven't even been close for the most part.

I don't know about you Nads, but I certainly didn't expect this team to play like the 4th worst team in baseball. If everybody from the peanut vendors to the players themselves expected the Bay and Nady trade, then how please explain the lifelessness of this team.

Trading Bay and Nady did not take the competiveness out of these guys, it took 2 of the 4 big bats out of the lineup, there's less talent now than at the end of July...

There's a difference...Watch Jack and Nate and Doumit hustle out there...they're being competitive, they're busting their butts, but this team right now is just not good...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:07 am 

omgardd wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
omgardd wrote:

quote]

They did not go out and gut the team or do a Florida Marlins type fire sale.
Apparently though they traded they only players capable of carrying the team to any sort of respectablity. I guess I didn't expect guys like Doumit, McLouth or Maholm to tail off and I definitely didn't expect leaders like Sanchez, Wilson or Doug to let the team sink this low.

Doumit and Nate and Maholm are playing over their heads right now...

Maholm is one watch that he doesnt go too far close to 200 innings...

Nate and Doumit are both playing more than they ever have at any level in their lives, some tail off was to be expected...