Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can you root for a team that dissapoints
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 pm 

Here i need some tips on how I can continue to root for a team that dissapoints every time. They have dissapointed fans the last 15 years this year is no different. Bases loaded on outs in a crucial game situation and they dont score then they end up losing. What is it now lost like 22 of the last 28? This team is just terrible and I dont find by their performances so far with the pirates andy laroche and brandon moss or even craig hanson very encouraging. Then it seems almost every year the pirates hype up over some prospect like ronnie paulinos and chris duffys when then these guys just suck after their first year in the bigs.

So why should we root for a team that is a huge dissapointment every single year. The pirates have never had a good above .500 season since i was born.

Post subject: Re: How can you root for a team that dissapoints
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

When I find it difficult to root for the team as a whole, I typically throw my support behind one or two players (usually some of the least popular players) and hope to see them succeed.

It worked for Capps, not so much for Dave Davidson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:28 am 

TIP 1: then stop rooting for the pirates!! look for another favorite team who always wins...!!

Tip 2: I do not have a 2nd, i'm really getting tired of all the same negative thoughts about this.. heck, i think
everybody here already knows it, feels the same dissapointment, but as a true fan, you never quit on
your ballclub, hockeyteam or anything else.. I do not know how easy some folks over there change their
favorite team, but here (europe and i DO hate soccer), where Soccer is the NO.1 sports, only 3 teams
win the cup for the last 50 years. SO that means 15 teams never win anything, but their fans are as truly and
as many year on and on.. The draft system doesn't excist, so rich clubs will always buy the good players, the
players can choose from their rookie season where to go and play (of course when they are talented), so there
never are chances for the low market teams to win something at all for ever.. be happy what you've got there
Ryann.. at least i do.. things will change.. even if i have to wait another 3 years..!

Sorry Ryann.. i just can't say anything else

GO PIRATES

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:25 am 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
i'm really getting tired of all the same negative thoughts about this.. heck, i think
everybody here already knows it, feels the same dissapointment, but as a true fan, you never quit on
your ballclub, hockeyteam or anything else..

You will continue to be tired....until the team wins, losing is negative and negative thoughts go along with it. True fan never quits? What about an ownership that has quit and decided winning is not worth risking that 15-20 million profit? How do you think the other vets on the team feel when productive players are shipped off and the team is left for dead? Loyalty works both ways. Ownership has lied, management had been pathetic. When you hear them cry wolf, you tend not to give them credibilty. Actions speak louder than words and the W-L record speaks for itself.
If you think your time, money and loyalty is worth giving to Bob Nutting's shtty team and are content with it, by all means support it. Emotions get the best of logic and thats why many put up with how they roll along into record breaking losing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:18 pm 

Ryann-- I really have no suggestions for you except to say that your team is your team. I get very disappointed too. Like everyone else, I look for immediate help too. The advantage I might have is that I've lived 61 years. That gives me less need for immediacy, and more ability to wait for the development of the new kids. Those really impatient people need to find some other interest because the Pirates are not able to change this winning drought quickly. If it troubles you to the point of distraction, move on to something else. I hope you don't do that because I'm sure you really care and are a sincere fan. There are plenty of negative people out there, and it's understandable, so if you find yourself there, go to something that makes you positive. Maybe connectng to a favorite player might help.

Some people take the approach that by repeating the same message over and over for years if necessary, people will start to believe them. Well, that's not working on this board. So, he should either stop the annoyance to members or find another place to post where he might find someone in agreement or at least get some respect because they won't know of his constant and consistant message that almost everyone else disagrees with. What possible reason is there for this kind of posting? That is not a request for him to try to point out his position yet again, as it is very well ingrained in all our minds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 pm 

Expect the team to lose each day and you won't be disappointed.

I don't root for wins; I root for seeing the organization somehow acquire enough talent to assemble a winning team. I have high hopes for this new management team, but think it's going to take at least another year and maybe 2 or 3 more years to get there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 pm 

Can someone define "disappointment" for me? My interpretation of the word is "failure to meet or surpass expectations".

Along those lines, my expectations for the Pirates this year were:

-Win 70 games or so.
-Make shrewd trades to acquire enough talent to restock the system, provide us with depth, and hopefully bring in some high end guys.
-Draft wisely to do the same.
-Make more efforts to acquire overseas talent that has previously been ignored.

In those regards, the Pirates have EXCEEDED my expectations. They may fall short of 70 wins, and I am okay with that as long as they succeed in the other areas. I would have hated to keep some of those we traded just to win 75 games. And in addition to what I had hoped for, the Pirates have also increased the scouting budget and added more scouts, which probably directly led to the great draft.

Listen, NH and FC basically inherited a 1988 Toyota Corolla with 150,000 miles on it. Dave Littlefield had busted the clutch, slashed the tires, busted out all the windows, pissed in the oil, and shat on the drivers seat. NH and FC weren't going to take this car and win the Daytona 500. However, they have demonstrated that they were not only aware of the problems the car had, but that they have a systematic plan to fix it the right way. Its going to take a lot of work before this car sees the race track, and they aren't going for any quick-fixes and bringing in stop gaps like Burnitz, Randa, Stynes, or Simon. They realize its going to take more than an oil change to be competitive.

The only way you can be disappointed was if you expected this team to win 85 games and compete for the playoffs. And if that is the case, I would like you to shoot me a PM and let me know what pay phone your dealer works from.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:47 pm 

BBF wrote:
Listen, NH and FC basically inherited a 1988 Toyota Corolla with 150,000 miles on it. Dave Littlefield had busted the clutch, slashed the tires, busted out all the windows, pissed in the oil, and shat on the drivers seat.

Was this the car you were visioning BBF?

Attachments:
toyota-Corolla-102.jpg
toyota-Corolla-102.jpg [ 29.09 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm 

and then you have someone like BBF. His expectations were low, very low. But he'll be down at the Park no matter what. As long as its the Pittsburgh Pirates, he'll be there no matter how low, no matter what they do. Thats the type of fan that ownership takes advantage of. The loyal fan who will always go. The causual promo/firework/something to do fan is what ownership has marketed to. They cant market the team on its performance. I've never suggested for a fan to root for another team. But what else can a fan do? As far as I'm concerned, MLB economics and Pirate ownership has ripped and treated Pirate fans like garbage and they should not be trusted and supported untill proven otherwise.

yeah the product is a junker..meanwhile the owners own BMWs and buy Ski resorts while you buy and support the junk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:12 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
BBF wrote:
Listen, NH and FC basically inherited a 1988 Toyota Corolla with 150,000 miles on it. Dave Littlefield had busted the clutch, slashed the tires, busted out all the windows, pissed in the oil, and shat on the drivers seat.

Was this the car you were visioning BBF?

Yes, only it was blue. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:11 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Here i need some tips on how I can continue to root for a team that dissapoints every time. They have dissapointed fans the last 15 years this year is no different. Bases loaded on outs in a crucial game situation and they dont score then they end up losing. What is it now lost like 22 of the last 28? This team is just terrible and I dont find by their performances so far with the pirates andy laroche and brandon moss or even craig hanson very encouraging. Then it seems almost every year the pirates hype up over some prospect like ronnie paulinos and chris duffys when then these guys just suck after their first year in the bigs.

So why should we root for a team that is a huge dissapointment every single year. The pirates have never had a good above .500 season since i was born.

So don't root for them. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the .500 mark. Contention is what I'm interested in. I'd feel no better about this team if they had consistently won between 78 and 83 wins for the last 16 seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:48 pm 

Winning 80 games a year is a much more interesting team possible contending then a team that loses all the time. Why watch them? They are losing 10-1 to the cubs. Brandon moss and andy laroche havent looked like good hitters at all.
Fans dont need a team that wins ALL the time. BUT it is good to have a team that is consistently in contention and provides some excitement. This pirates team is just frusterating to watch basesloaded in key moments with no outs they dont score. And as i said current score is they are losing to the cubs 10-1.
They have been the laughing stock of the league and the city of pittsburgh.
And why be a "fan" when all you get out of the game is fireworks and bobbleheads?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:58 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Winning 80 games a year is a much more interesting team possible contending then a team that loses all the time. Why watch them? They are losing 10-1 to the cubs. Brandon moss and andy laroche havent looked like good hitters at all.
Fans dont need a team that wins ALL the time. BUT it is good to have a team that is consistently in contention and provides some excitement. This pirates team is just frusterating to watch basesloaded in key moments with no outs they dont score. And as i said current score is they are losing to the cubs 10-1.
And why be a "fan" when all you get out of the game is fireworks and bobbleheads?

The Cubs are alot better than the Pirates...and did you happen to see Moss tonight...1 for 1 with a walk and a monster shot of a Homerun?

Like it's been preached before...Patience, Rome was not built in a day...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 pm 

Moss hitting a homerun does not mean he is a great player.

Patience runs out after 15 years with stupid decisions by the people in charge. They most likely wont win next year or the year after with the way they are going its going to be even longer with more bobbleheads and fireworks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:49 am 

BTW Ryan - there is one 's' and two 'p's in disappoint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 am 

Ryann wrote:

So what you are saying is that you would be ok with a team that has a peak win total of 82 every year? Hoping that the rest of the division slips enough to allow us to steal at a cheap division title? So what then? You'd start complaining that the Pirates are mediocre, because that's exactly what that is.

Did you expect that the guys we brought back in trades were supposed to propel us to the division title? If so, you're living in a dream world. Brandon Moss and Andy LaRoche have upside as opposed to both Bay and Nady already peaked and possibly trailing off. Plus, we need the talent depth in the organization to be able to pull off a "Sabathia" type deal.

What you are witnessing Ryann is a cleansing of the PBC, Littlebrain had no real plan, Huntington does, I am sure that NH has a lineup style in his head that he is building the organization to. Speed at the top, power in the middle, etc. The organization has to be a machine, churning out minor leaguers to replace major leaguers on a consistent basis. You've witnessed what happens when you lack depth in an area, losing Jack early in the season cost us significantly, pitchers performing below standard or getting hurt really exposed our weakness. But NH has gone and loaded up on starting pitchers and has said that next season only one spot is locked down, the rest is on an earning basis.

Jeez man, if you'd just give the guy a minute! There are many of us here on this board that aren't happy about losing, but some of us are seeing the indications of better days to come. NH is making shrew moves to try and restock a depleted system, moving popular players for prospects. That's why fans can't be GM's, because they would make moves based on their heart, and not be able to remove likeable guys for more talent.

Moss and LaRoche aren't great players now and they may never be, but you don't know that. They are still young, still impressionable, and they still have upside. Moss really could be a player that thrives in Pittsburgh, being lefty with power.

Ryann, I think your trying to look at the milkshake through a straw(I just made that up and I like it...), I'd rather have the chance to win it all, than get excited about winning 82. I don't care what other cities say about us losing 16,17 years in a row, at least we have a few championships in the last 100 years, the Cubs can't say that can they? Anyway, all we have to do is mention "Steelers" and it makes those wussies go away.

Ok, now lets address this "fans that Nutting likes" idiocracy. Last time I checked, if fans don't go to the game, the team leaves. I don't care what kind of deal it has with a stadium or the city, it finds a way to leave. We have a rich tradition of baseball in Pittsburgh that I would hate to see being moved to Carolina. NEWSFLASH!! All owners are in it for profit!! GAAASSSPP!! The nerve of them!! Again, if the owners can't turn a profit and find a more lucrative deal elsewhere, they move. Some of you may not care about that, but I do, and subsequently, that would indicate that you really aren't fans anyway.

Ryann, your expectations should be that Huntington loads up on talent so that he has many guys to pick from for the ML level, more competition breeds more development. Something Tabata said earlier last week, "I should make it to the majors faster in Pittsburgh," struck me as probably the best explaination of our entire organization. Maybe its just too easy to make the big club, there should be more competition, position by position, hence three guys that play 3rd.

And as Forrest Gump would say... "That's all I've got to say about that."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:

Ok, now lets address this "fans that Nutting likes" idiocracy. Last time I checked, if fans don't go to the game, the team leaves. I don't care what kind of deal it has with a stadium or the city, it finds a way to leave.

Wrong..just flat out wrong. If the revenue sharing and Yankee/RedSox money was not put in their pockets, you'd have a valid point. But its not so your emotional I dont care is just another non logical reply to keep supporting the sham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 am 

so, in conclusion: "life is like a thick milkshake, with a straw" ??

Nice post- Pirate fan13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
so, in conclusion: "life is like a thick milkshake, with a straw" ??

Nice post- Pirate fan13

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Ok, now lets address this "fans that Nutting likes" idiocracy. Last time I checked, if fans don't go to the game, the team leaves. I don't care what kind of deal it has with a stadium or the city, it finds a way to leave.

Wrong..just flat out wrong. If the revenue sharing and Yankee/RedSox money was not put in their pockets, you'd have a valid point. But its not so your emotional I dont care is just another non logical reply to keep supporting the sham

Sham? Sham Sham I am, I don't like green eggs and ham...

The Montreal Expos were getting the revenue sharing as well... they moved... that's an ex-"sham"-ple.

I'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates, I reserve the right to be emotional about my team, if I wasn't, I wouldn't be a real fan, right? -- "Sham"-tastic

The real "sham" is this stance your taking about what you think Nutting is like, or what you think he intends to do. You don't know him personaly, and if you do, its obvious that you aren't his friend, and he certainly doesn't need to explain to you every finite detail of the organizational plan. So why the hard-on for him? Did he "sham" you in some way? Its obvious you cannot be so upset because of what you perceived he has done to the team because you really don't even care or like the team enough to follow them. Or is it you that's the sham?

I've tried to converse with you logically, but you don't really have any basis for what you are saying, no proof, only speculation.

So as Nucleus would say "Sham"-on it. Or Michael Jackson... "Sham"-on :D