Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8-20-08 Pirates at St. Louis Cardinals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:33 pm 

Davis (1-2 1.80) vs. Wellemeyer (10-4 3.79)

Pirates lineup

Morgan - cf .130
Sanchez - 2b .252
Doumit - c .330
Ad La Roche - 1b .267
Micheals - rf .230
Moss - lf .252
An La Roche - 3b .189
Wilson - ss .284
Davis - p .000

I like Jason Davis. I think he could be a pleasant surprise for us going into next year if we don't dump him.

Post subject: Re: 8-20-08 Pirates at St. Louis Cardinals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 pm 

On second thought maybe we should dump him. He's getting knocked around. Just walked in a run.

8-2 Cardinals in the 4th. :( Nice to see Morgan getting on base anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:49 am 

Here again, the upper offices of the Pirates are being showed just how stupid for a lack of a better word is for trading Bay and Nady. Alright, maybe Nady is okay, but Bay had said in a prior interview he wanted to finish his career in Pittsburgh, so Neal Huntinton does the next best thing - trades him to the freakin Red Sox and for what? Brandon Moss has not impressed me at all. The only two good things out of the entire deal has been Jeff Karstens and Andy LaRoche. Now we have a little beter starter at pitching and a little more solid player at third.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:22 am 

huntingdonbuccofan wrote:
Here again, the upper offices of the Pirates are being showed just how stupid for a lack of a better word is for trading Bay and Nady. Alright, maybe Nady is okay, but Bay had said in a prior interview he wanted to finish his career in Pittsburgh, so Neal Huntinton does the next best thing - trades him to the freakin Red Sox and for what? Brandon Moss has not impressed me at all. The only two good things out of the entire deal has been Jeff Karstens and Andy LaRoche. Now we have a little beter starter at pitching and a little more solid player at third.

Just curious. How much were you going to give the 31 Jason Bay to stay in Pittsburgh and how long would the contract be?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:32 am 

Yup.....because we have such stellar pitching right now.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 am 

I know it wouldn't have been the "prudent" thing to do, but I would love to have re-signed Jason or Jack. Real baseball fans understand why we can't bring them back.. we're a small market team, blah, blah. Some Pirates fans are not as realistic.. but we're just as devoted. For those fans, and for the player, I would like to see some major effort to re-sign a veteran. This small market garbage is why I prefer high school and college sports, and the communist NFL. Go Lions!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:07 pm 

I originally hated the Nady trade and loved the Bay trade. Now I'm the other way around. But whatever my gut reaction is, we won't be able to tell until middle/end of next season if these trades worked out, and probably beyond then too with some of the younger guys. I hate playing "wait and see" as much as anyone else, but at least it's better than knowing immediately that we got hosed, like when Ramirez was traded.

I'm with you on Moss. I had really high hopes for him, he seemed to do pretty well with the Red Sox. I thought he was the best guy the Pirates got out of that trade, and he's been a huge disappointment so far. I'm crossing my fingers that he's just struggling to adjust to a new place. We'll see how he does in a full season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm 

You cant really judge Moss yet, considering he's only had 60 at bats and missed a few days with an injury...

He's got the rest of the season to show whats he's got, as does Pearce...

Hell, he's a better option than Morgan...I want to see him leave

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:10 pm 
jaybee24 wrote:

I originally hated the Nady trade and loved the Bay trade. Now I'm the other way around. But whatever my gut reaction is, we won't be able to tell until middle/end of next season if these trades worked out, and probably beyond then too with some of the younger guys. I hate playing "wait and see" as much as anyone else, but at least it's better than knowing immediately that we got hosed, like when Ramirez was traded.

I'm with you on Moss. I had really high hopes for him, he seemed to do pretty well with the Red Sox. I thought he was the best guy the Pirates got out of that trade, and he's been a huge disappointment so far. I'm crossing my fingers that he's just struggling to adjust to a new place. We'll see how he does in a full season.

Little brother LaRoche needs to show more, too.