Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutting's euphoria over the top
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:31 am 

No one threw around the praise quite so outrageously as owner Bob Nutting, who had this to say about president Frank Coonelly, general manager Neil Huntington and their associates:

Quote:
"It's the single best management team in all of baseball, maybe all of sports."

I could not agree more. Ownership and some of the fans/media act like there was a victory parade celebration.
Read more.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905526-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Nutting's euphoria over the top
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:19 pm 

I also agree, Nutting's comment was over the top. He got caught up in the excitement of the moment and said something stupid.

So what? Not exactly earth-shattering, nor is there enough there to justify an entire column. Which is why Smizik dedicated a large portion of the column to documenting the decline in production of McLouth and Doumit, as if those things have anything to do with Nutting's comment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:34 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
No one threw around the praise quite so outrageously as owner Bob Nutting, who had this to say about president Frank Coonelly, general manager Neil Huntington and their associates:

Quote:

I could not agree more. Ownership and some of the fans/media act like there was a victory parade celebration.
Read more.

I think it's more that Pirates fans are so used to the absolute worst management in sports, especially on the part of Littlefield, that anything even average seems outstanding.

I mean, you're not a genius for drafting/signing Alvarez. That's what a GM should do. The old GM here was so bad, he didn't do the things you should do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:02 pm 

Bob Nutting is just NUTS!!!!!
How can a guy who really knows only one type of business and that is the newspaper business walk in and try to make a team a winner.
He along with Frank Coonley and Neal Huntington need to really step back and rethink what they just got rid of. How in the hell can you trade not one (which i understand) but two of the best hitters on this team for mediocre players. Sure Jeff Karstens has been good, but the offense has went limper than a wet noodle on Italian Day at PNC Park. Someone needs to step in and say something because as long as this organization makes STUPID trades such as the ones they pulled, the team is going to be under .500 until something changes at the top. Huntington did a good job in Cleveland and now he is ruining his reputation by making silly trades.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:43 pm 

I must respectfully disagree Don. None of the players traded would have been with the team after next year. Patience Don.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:58 pm 

huntingdonbuccofan wrote:
Bob Nutting is just NUTS!!!!!
How can a guy who really knows only one type of business and that is the newspaper business walk in and try to make a team a winner.
He along with Frank Coonley and Neal Huntington need to really step back and rethink what they just got rid of. How in the hell can you trade not one (which i understand) but two of the best hitters on this team for mediocre players. Sure Jeff Karstens has been good, but the offense has went limper than a wet noodle on Italian Day at PNC Park. Someone needs to step in and say something because as long as this organization makes STUPID trades such as the ones they pulled, the team is going to be under .500 until something changes at the top. Huntington did a good job in Cleveland and now he is ruining his reputation by making silly trades.

Wow, you think Karstens was the prize of this trade? Someone hasn't done his homework.

The merits of the Bay and Nady trades have been set forth in many places, including here. I suggest you read those reviews in detail before commenting again on these trades. No point in rehashing them in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:14 pm 

Isn't there like 10 threads like this already?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:30 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Isn't there like 10 threads like this already?

More like hundreds. Why?
Isn't there like 16 going on 17 years of all time record breaking historical losing like this already?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:35 pm 

Groundhog Day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:58 pm 

Hmph. You mean I'm not the only one that's tired of it?

Ooh...let me guess, next will come a comment about how many losing seasons we've had, and how that is Groundhog Day and we should all be tired of it. What do I win?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 pm 

BBF wrote:
Hmph. You mean I'm not the only one that's tired of it?

Ooh...let me guess, next will come a comment about how many losing seasons we've had, and how that is Groundhog Day and we should all be tired of it. What do I win?

A brand new copy of 'Groundhog Day' on DVD!!! And a 3 Day, 2 Night stay in Punxsy, PA!!!

Attachments:
groundhogday.jpg
groundhogday.jpg [ 45.17 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:40 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

Quote:

Read more.

Yes, it looks like he let the excitement carry him away there.