Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad note - John Challis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:44 pm 

This article notes the passing of John Challis, an 18-year old fighting terminal cancer who visited the Pirates' clubhouse on June 25. The players were inspired by Challis, who refused to feel sorry for himself and was more interested in life than death:

http://tinyurl.com/58jmlb

One of the things I took from the article is that Adam Laroche is a good guy - a good and decent human being. I criticize Pirate players (like Laroche) who fall into a prolonged slump, and who fail to hit, or field, or pitch but I am going to try and remember that these young men are people.

And some who are having a tough time are good, decent people who are doing their best. I will try my best to avoid being too critical of Adam Laroche's start next year, even if he gets off to another slow start.

Post subject: John Callis passes away.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:24 pm 

Remember him? He is the youngster who visited with the Pirates in mid June. He had incurable cancer. He has now passed away. What a brave young man he was and an inspiration to all.

If you read DK's blog today, you will find a moving discussion about him and his visit and impact on some of the Pirates. It is particularly moving in the discussion about the connection he had with Adam LaRoche.

Not possible to read that and not be moved. that's a WOW

Again, sorry but I still don't know how to post a link for you.

Post subject: Re: John Callis passes away.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:53 pm 

I used the original article from the PG in my classes back in May for a "see what courage is" example one day.

Post subject: Re: Sad note - John Challis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:53 pm 

Adam gets gets some extra cool points for sure.

RIP John....................just remember to point to the fence before you take Cy Young deep!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:27 pm 

Here are instructions on posting a link.

From the web page you want to link to, go to the top and click on the URL. This is the http://www etc. It should be highlighted after you click on it.

Type Control C to copy the URL to your clipboard.

Go to the web page where you want to paste a link, where you would post a new topic or reply to an existing one.

Click on the underlined u in the black icons, third one from the left.

Type Control V to paste the link from your clipboard to the web pate.

Click the underlined u icon again.

That's it, you did it!

Post subject: Re: Sad note - John Challis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:32 pm 
I heard him tell what is probably my favorite John Callis story when he was on the radio with Lanny back in June.

The kid loved sports, as is pretty obvious. He played all kinds of sports growing up so it was very hard for him to have to sit out when his health got bad.

So last fall, the Freedom High School football team had him dress for a game. They then let him kickoff late in the game, but the only condition was that after he kicked, he would run off of the field so as to not get hit (he was starting to get pretty frail even then).

He agreed. Lined up, kicked off ... and ran straight forward with the rest of his teammates.

He said something along the lines of "I wanted to be part of the team, I wasn't going to run off the field. These are the same coaches who taught me to play football and taught me to go until the whistle every play. They wanted me to run off of the field? They're a bunch of hypocrites [joking]."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:15 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905510-122.stm[u]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905510-122.stm

I think I got it.[u]

Going to try again

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905534-63.stmhttp://[u]www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905534-63.stm[/u]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:24 pm 

TRying again

v[u][/u]

Think i'm hopeless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 pm 

Thanks for trying to help me Ralphie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:51 pm 

John's passing reminds me of just how frail life is. As a stepfather who lost my stepdaughter to a brain tumor in 1995, those memories came haunting back.
One of the fondest memories we will always have is those Mother's Day games at 3 Rivers for the Make-A-Wish Day. The players and manager at the time always spend probably more time than normal signing autographies and taking pictures with the families of the numerous sick children in attendance.
The Pirates organization are always willing to go the extra mile when it comes to generosity. After watching Tuesday night's game and hearing of John's passing and the sadness in the voice of Greg Brown's voice.
When we as fans begin bitching and complaining about this team and had bad it seems at times, maybe we should remember how a frail kid touched the hearts of not only the players of this team, but their fans as well. Maybe just maybe, we can start remembering we all human and sometimes life just isnt fair.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:41 pm 

Good post hunting Don.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:15 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Thanks for trying to help me Ralphie.

Here is what I do:

Put the cursor (not the curser) on the internet address at the top of the screen and click. It will be highlighted when you click the cursor on that portion of the screen.

Then, simply right-click and hit "copy." Put the cursor on the board where you are posting and right-click again, this time hitting "paste." The address will appear and will automatically link you to the article or site for the address in question.

You guys did not think that I was internet literate, did you?

Helpful hints:

CURSER

CURSOR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:29 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905510-122.stm

worked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 pm 

Can't believe it, I can now post links. Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn every once in a while.

Thanks to both of you for helping this 'slow' board member. See Bucfan I need very simple things to have any success.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:49 pm 

Rest in Peace, John. May the Bucs always be winners where you are now.