Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jose Tabata
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 am 

Tabata turned 20 last Saturday, and is already in AA. He started off slowly at Altoona, but has really turned it around. In his last 5 games, he has gone 11-23, with a 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI's. He hit his first Altoona HR in tonight's game.

Post subject: Re: Jose Tabata
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:43 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Tabata turned 20 last Saturday, and is already in AA. He started off slowly at Altoona, but has really turned it around. In his last 5 games, he has gone 11-23, with a 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI's. He hit his first Altoona HR in tonight's game.

That's great news Bucfan. I hope he gets it together. His physical talent level doesn't worry me at all. His psychological makeup is what worries me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:55 pm 

Tabata just turned 20 Saturday

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:14 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Tabata just turned 20 Saturday

Tabata's age is one of the biggest bright spots about him. He has a ton of upside to go with all that talent.

However, siginficant aspects of an individual's personality are already formed by the time he is 20 so there is still reason for concern. I would have to know much more about Tabata's personal situation to make a full evaluation, but the fact he has done things like reportedly left his team during a game are not good signs generally speaking.

While most 20-year-olds are immature, most high-performing athletes are fiercely competitive and things like leaving an ongoing competition (such as mid-game) raises a red flag. "Normal" immaturity for an individual that age would be getting in a bar fight, public drunkeness, mouthing off to a reporter, etc. Leaving a game is not the standard reaction for a competitive individual, and competiteveness is a very common personality trait in virtually all successfull athletes.

I like what most of what I've heard about the kid. My point is that there are some concerns.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:29 pm 

Zane41 wrote:
I like what most of what I've heard about the kid. My point is that there are some concerns.

True - but if there were no such concerns, then he would not have been traded. He has the physical tools (good bat speed, power, decent foot speed). His potential makes him a big-time prospect, i.e., the type of player the Pirates lack in the minors (other than maybe McCutchen) and the type they need.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:41 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Zane41 wrote:

True - but if there were no such concerns, then he would not have been traded. He has the physical tools (good bat speed, power, decent foot speed). His potential makes him a big-time prospect, i.e., the type of player the Pirates lack in the minors (other than maybe McCutchen) and the type they need.

I agree Bucfan. I'm not arguing that acquiring him was bad or anything like that. Your point that the team wouldn't have been able to grab him if there were no risk is certainly valid. My point speaks more to the voice that seems to think Tabata is a guarante, those who have him written in as a sure piece of the future. He might be but that is no guarantee whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:28 pm 

Zane41 wrote:
[I agree Bucfan. I'm not arguing that acquiring him was bad or anything like that. Your point that the team wouldn't have been able to grab him if there were no risk is certainly valid. My point speaks more to the voice that seems to think Tabata is a guarantee ...

No question. I certainly do not believe that there are guarantees with young players - other than maybe that Wieters will be a cleanup hitter for 15 seasons for some team other than the Pirates. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 pm 

Obviously, we want him to be a good citizen and team player. He needs to mature into that.

But he's just on fire since we got him and placed him in AA ball. At this pace we'll see him in September. And he's still only 20, not yet a man (or do we forget when we were 20).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm 

I have coached for many years in high school, and have observed hundreds of young kids commit immature acts that years later they would never consider doing.

Part of it is this plain immaturity (stupidity) of youth. Some kids, perhaps Tabata, have always been successful in athletics. Never known failure. They have always been held in they highest status by adults and by their peers. When they go off to a higher level of competition sometimes they see failure for the first time. Many don't know how to handle it and react badly. And remember that they are on their own without the guidance of mom and dad in tough spots, maybe for the first time.

Let us hope that young Mr. Tabata is an example of that action and reaction on his part. While I agree that he actions were unacceptable, it is possible that they are not really part of his personality and will not be repeated as he learns to handle issues as they present themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:52 pm 

Well said Sub.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:14 pm 

What's Tabata done?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:15 pm 
yeknom02 wrote:
What's Tabata done?

Played pretty well since the Pirates acquired him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I have coached for many years in high school, and have observed hundreds of young kids commit immature acts that years later they would never consider doing.

Part of it is this plain immaturity (stupidity) of youth. Some kids, perhaps Tabata, have always been successful in athletics. Never known failure. They have always been held in they highest status by adults and by their peers. When they go off to a higher level of competition sometimes they see failure for the first time.

Spot on. The Buccos said that this is exactly what happened when he left the stadium in the midst of a terrible game.

He was 19, playing AA against 22-23 year old grown men, and failing for the first time. He reacted horribly. However, he came back to the Yanks' farm team, apologized, and had better success after his return, before hurting his ribs. Since moving to Altoona, he has hit very, very well.

Stupid act? Absolutely. But it is not fair to judge a player on his his worst day, and not prudent to judge him on his best day. Decisions should not be made on that basis.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
What's Tabata done?

"Tabata turned 20 last Saturday, and is already in AA. He started off slowly at Altoona, but has really turned it around. In his last 5 games, he has gone 11-23, with a 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI's. He hit his first Altoona HR in tonight's game."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:
What's Tabata done?

"Tabata turned 20 last Saturday, and is already in AA. He started off slowly at Altoona, but has really turned it around. In his last 5 games, he has gone 11-23, with a 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI's. He hit his first Altoona HR in tonight's game."

Sorry, should have been more specific - What's Tabata done to warrant concerns about his character?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
What's Tabata done to warrant concerns about his character?

I can only speak for myself, but the information I've been able to gather suggests that the whole "head case" thing is way overblown.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:40 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:
What's Tabata done?

Sorry, should have been more specific - What's Tabata done to warrant concerns about his character?

He walked off the field in the middle of a game when he was stinking it up. I don't think we know enough about him yet either to confirm or dismiss his reputation as a head case. I'd classify it as mildly concerning, but I'd be more concerned if it happened with a veteran on the major league team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:49 pm 

Argentum wrote:
"I can only speak for myself, but the information I've been able to gather suggests that the whole "head case" thing is way overblown."

/s Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am 

"Tabata Enjoying Fresh Start"

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_583873.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:28 am 

Another Tabata article:

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.d ... ml?nav=727

Anxious to see him play on Thursday.