Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bull....please respond
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:46 am 

HebnerR wrote:
And thats why I'm leaving.When somebody does tell you what they think it's fine as long as it's what they think.If not the whining begins.

I said I liked the moves,believed they finally had what looks to be sharp baseball men in place.That wasn't good enough because I wasn't butt kissing yet.

This isn't a daring board,it's a board that leads cheers and only gets nasty when someone dares to tell their side.This is a board for blue skys only.Anything else is attacked.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. If I don't agree with you, I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut, and if I don't, then I'm being nasty.

Quote:
One post I saw yesterday was what all these years of losing gets you on this board.Comparing this club to Art Rooney's Steelers of years ago saying call me when The Pirates reach 40 years of losing as if setting a Major League record of losing seasons in a row is small potatoes.

It is small potatoes. First of all, the Pirates are nowhere near the worst franchise in history. The whole sixteen year thing is ridiculously overdone. Are you telling me that you wouldn't be complaining if only they had managed to go 82-80 in 1999? Please. Secondly, continuously harping on the past is not a valid argument against what is happening in the present. The past is dead and gone.

Quote:
Is this whats happened to Pirate fans?So much losing that many not only don't care but don't mind it??? If thats what has happened then nothing more should be said.You should be sad for calling yourself baseball fans.you are almost afraid to say anything against the Organization for fear of being labeled fair weather.Well thats the kind of fan I'd be ashamed to be.Thats a pushover ,a Coward of a fan.

Don't worry, we'll make room for you on the bandwagon when you jump back on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:49 am 

HebnerR wrote:
Oh yea tough board.You follow along like perfect little soldiers all singing "Bucs are going all the way. "I'm whining!

If you had been here for any amount of time, you would realize that any praise for this organization coming from me and a few others that you're bitching about is downright shocking, as we had almost nothing good to say about the Pirates for the last two or three years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:30 pm 

It seems to me that it is very easy to simply say:"sign some free agents and we will win."

Well you guys who want the wallets emptied need to be specific about that. What's the plan? Who do we sign and for how much? How long a contract should we offer?

Do you want CC? how about Sheets? They are on the market this winter. How much are you GMs willing to pay?

How about then totaling up the damage to see how much you need to borrow to make that happen.

Your argument is really with the league that expects people to compete without offering a level playing field. Until and unless, the league splits the money much more equally, you guys who expect the impossible will continue to cry about management.

The only possible way to become competitive is the course the Pirates are following. So, if you want to see a winner, start to support this strategy or be prepared to keep crying about losers in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:55 pm 

yeah i don't really get the whole, "sign more free agents" argument. look at teams like baltimore and seattle. do you want the bucco's going after jay payton and carlos silva at inflated prices? people don't seem to understand the way baseball teams are built has changed. if DL/McClatchy wern't so inept we would have rebuilt the right way like the twins, rockies, marlins, a's and rays did in the late 90s and early 2000s. i'm tired of people equating more money with winning. the teams that win trade and draft well and develop from within.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:50 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Anyone who thinks that the members of this board are simply homers wasn't reading last year or before. The heat expressed here should have started a fire in the crotch of Jim Tracy, Dave Littlefield, and Bob Nutting.

The present management team looks like all-stars in comparision. If members seem to back management now, it's really because there has been a major sea change in the way things are being done. I see nothing wrong with supporting those changes.

No one thinks that the job is done. But this is a very encouraging first year and I count myself as one who is very pleased with the Pirates.

Too bad the old board crashed or some of the new members could have gone back and seen the bashing of management took in the past...

Hell from last June's draft til the Matt Morris Trade the board was very anti Littlefield and very anti Jim Tracy when he was trying to get Jack Wilson to play like Cesar Izturis...

Between the 07 Draft and the Craig Wilson trade in 06, those were two of the busiest days on the message board...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...