Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft decisions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:06 pm 

The Pirates draft decisions - who to pick, who to sign, who to pass on - were far different than those of the prior administration. That much is obvious.

Alvarez was a no-brainer with the secon pick in the draft, given his hitting ability. He hits well enough to play anywhere on the field - 3rd base, 1st base, wherever.

What I also liked about the way in which the Pirates handled the draft was selecting a high ceiling player with the second pick - a guy who looked to be a top-15 pick but for the injury. Then, in the event he does not pan out, take high projection players later in the draft and use the money that might otherwise have been targeted fo the number 2 pick on those players - guys like Grossman with the 6th pick, Miller at 20.

By going after a high quality pick at no. 2, the Pirates know that if the selection does not work out, they will get ca compensation pick next year. If they sign the no. 2 pick, they believe he is recoverd from injury, and they got a top round pick in the second. If not, they get 2-3 other players signed, all of whom projected high but were taken later due to signability issues, while getting a compensation pick the following year.

This is a recipe for getting "high ceiling" players. Guys who can hit in the middle of the lineup, or dominate from the mound. That type of player can take a team to the playoffs.

Post subject: Re: Draft decisions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:36 pm 

Unless you believe that this whole thing is just good luck, and I don't; then you have to applaud NH and FC for developing a strategy that enabled them to get high end guys. The business of signing their later drafts that everyone else passed on because they were hard to sign, enabled us to get some players that we could not have gotten otherwise.

You have to admire the kind of thinking that created those possibilities. You describe it well, I just admire it. These guys aren't just good baseball people, the are very intelligent guys who have creative instincts. What a first rate job with the trades and the draft.

It's time to relax and be confident that their decisions will be good decisions and will make us a winner. They will, of course, have to prove themselves every year but this is an incredible start for them.

Post subject: Re: Draft decisions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:41 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Unless you believe that this whole thing is just good luck, and I don't; then you have to applaud NH and FC for developing a strategy that enabled them to get high end guys. The business of signing their later drafts that everyone else passed on because they were hard to sign, enabled us to get some players that we could not have gotten otherwise.

You have to admire the kind of thinking that created those possibilities. You describe it well, I just admire it. These guys aren't just good baseball people, the are very intelligent guys who have creative instincts. What a first rate job with the trades and the draft.

It's time to relax and be confident that their decisions will be good decisions and will make us a winner. They will, of course, have to prove themselves every year but this is an incredible start for them.

I agree. This draft was a great step in the right direction. It was just a step, though. They need to keep it up and produce WINS.