Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alvarez is a Future Bucco to Be... Well Done NH
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:29 am 

I my opinion:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08229/90 ... irates.xml

Quote:
Bulletin: The Pirates and first-round draft pick Pedro Alvarez have agreed to contract terms -- $6 million plus a college education -- just before the midnight deadline.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... terms.aspx

Quote:
Despite the quality efforts of both parties, it became clear that Tanner's financial expectations were not in line with the risks presented by Tanner's current status as a pitcher in the early stages of a rehabilitation program following an injury to his throwing shoulder.

Superbly Done Neal!!
THIS IS GOOD... and with every thing else that has all changed lately.. let the bucs future be bright again!!

maybe a new slogan "We're BACK"

Hugo :)

Where can i buy my Alvarez-jersey?

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: Alvarez is a Future Bucco to Be... Well Done NH
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:41 am 

This is great!! I don't like the major league deal, but hell, I'm just glad they signed the guy because I was getting worried. Great move by the Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:14 am 

Zane41 wrote:
This is great!! I don't like the major league deal, but hell, I'm just glad they signed the guy because I was getting worried. Great move by the Pirates.

The major league deal really isn't that big a thing. It's not like they'll have any trouble making room for him on the 40 man roster. Unless I'm mistaken, that and the number of options he has are the only two things this deal will effect, and I doubt that Alvarez is going to spend much time shuttling between Pittsburgh and Indy. My guess is that once he's up, he's up for good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 am 

Unless I am mistaken it was a minor league deal with the balance of his college paid plus the 6 Million. No reason to disturb the 40 man roster yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:19 am 

Love the fridaynight-deadlines.. its around 9 o'clock in the morning on saturday here!!

preach1 wrote:
Unless I am mistaken it was a minor league deal with the balance of his college paid plus the 6 Million. No reason to disturb the 40 man roster yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08229/904846-63.stm

Quote:
Alvarez's bonus, part of a minor league contract, far exceeded the $4 million the Pirates paid to pitcher Bryan Bullington, No. 1 overall in 2001. More striking, it was part of total spending on this 32-player draft class that approached $10 million, a figure made possible when owner Bob Nutting early last month authorized a significant increase. That total included $8,166,000 on players in the top 10 rounds and an additional $900,000 yesterday to lure the 20th-round pick, pitcher Quinton Miller.

That not only was a record for the Pirates, but it was roughly $2 million more than any major league team spent on the draft last season. The high last season was the New York Yankees' $7.6 million.

here is your answer.. and even better, the PBC finally spent money on their future, adding Grossman and Miller, guys
who weren't believed to sign at all.. great prospects so far..!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:56 am 

i cant wait for bullish to complain this was a publicity stunt to keep people in seats and they are going to trade him in the offseason for cash and players to be named.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:11 am 

Equally impressive is being smart enough to not overpay Scheppers who is damaged goods. Plus they get a compensation pick next year because of this. I have a friend who is a Cleveland Indians fan (I know that's tough to say), and when Hungington took the job as GM he said it would only be a matter of time before we'd start to see positive change in our organizaton. Today is a big day for the organization!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:48 am 

BH may never post again because he has only one message and now it has absolutely no credibility with anyone. He may claim a small amount of credit for pressuring management but in truth all of us did that without the name calling and abuse.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:49 am 

BTW-- what a great July and August it has been for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:22 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
BH may never post again because he has only one message and now it has absolutely no credibility with anyone. He may claim a small amount of credit for pressuring management but in truth all of us did that without the name calling and abuse.

and without withdrawing support of the team and boycotting games and such, i am so excited for the upcoming years

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

Don't even get my hopes up with that kind of talk!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:14 pm 

NH has done incredibly well with the short amount of time he has been here. i was kind of hoping for a press conference or something with BN FC and NH. the only thing i think i would like to see is for nutting to come out and say that he was always for spending money to build a winning team he just didnt have confidence in previous GMs to release the money required to build said team. Purely a public relations issue just to address that last monkey on their backs but i for one want to see pittsburgh fully embracing the pirates again. i was only 10 starting those early 90s years and the pirate games were the first big sporting events i had ever attended, and seeing 3 rivers packed to the brim with cheering screaming pirates fans is truely a sight to behold at that age, i would like to see those again, if not for me but for the children i will have and a whole new generation of pirates fanatics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:57 pm 

Word Up J'Leis!!

completely right!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:03 pm 

So does anyone know when Alvarez will start playing in the system, and where? Can I see him in State College on Monday, or will he be starting next year in AA?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:16 pm 

I have been as big of a critic of this Organization as there has been and for good reason.This however is something I have to say along with some of the power arms they have gotten and the trades is a very very good sign.This is not the same Organization!

I think The Pirates have some smart Baseball people in place for once and deserve a pat
on the back .Shove the fireworks and Rock bands,we all want a winner and maybe they now are trying to give us one.

Who was that Kevin guy again?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm 

Since I've been a well-known critic of Bob Nutting, I think its only fair to recognize the commitment made by him to allow his baseball management team to spend some money to get Alvarez, Grossman, Miller, and others into the mix. These moves will bring quality high-end talent into the lower minor leagues, now the management team just has to do it again for 2-3 drafts to get this team on track.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:04 pm 

Wow! I didn't expect this. This is a great day for Pirates fans everywhere. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:16 pm 
This is outstanding - a MAJOR step in the right direction for this franchise. Let's hope they keep taking those steps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:46 pm 

Elmer wrote:
This is outstanding - a MAJOR step in the right direction for this franchise. Let's hope they keep taking those steps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
BTW-- what a great July and August it has been for the Pirates.

Define the word great. I know some words can have opposite meanings, but I'd like the explanation on this one :D