Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robbie Grossman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 am 

According to Dejan in today's PG, Robbie Grossman looks to be a potentially great player with a Lenny Dykstra approach. As a high schooler most stayed away from him cause he had committed to the Texas Baseball team. NL said he is a number 2 talent and was worth the million dollar contract. That is way over slot, in fact the league doesn't even slot above 5th rounders, but they thought he was worth the money.

Brings two thoughts to me.
1. Do you guys know much about him, or is this just PR from the front office?
2. Doesn't the amount of money to get a sixth rounder indicate a willingness to spend more to build a team?

I see this as a real possitive development and hope for our big gun Alvarez signs tonight. Your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Robbie Grossman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:28 am 

Sorry I would post the link but I just don't know how.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:48 am 

Draft cental says this about him:

Hitting Ability: Grossman is a good hitter, but his approach does need some work. He has a high leg lift that will need to be toned down.
Power: He's got some power now, though it's likely to come a little later in his career. More of a line-drive gap hitter now.
Running Speed: He's got above-average speed.
Base running: He's very aggressive and makes the most of his natural speed on the basepaths.
Arm Strength: His arm is average, at best.
Fielding: His overall aggressiveness translates pretty well to his defensive game in the outfield.
Range: He's got average range.
Physical Description: Grossman is a gritty little player with some Lenny Dykstra to him.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: Hard-working attitude; gets the most out his tools because of his aggressiveness on the field.
Weaknesses: He doesn't necessarily profile well. He's not quite good enough to play center every day, but not strong enough offensively to man a corner.
Summary: Grossman is the kind of player that can be fun to watch because he knows only one speed: full. A real grinder, he plays the game hard and makes the most of his tools, which include decent speed and some strength at the plate. He doesn't really profile well at any outfield position, but it's also evident he won't be outworked and is the type to exceed expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:53 am 

Sub, yes I think it speaks volumes on how the PBC plans to right the sinking ship that is 15+ years of losing.

NH actually commented that the Pirates had planned (what a novel concept for this organization) to pursue draftees that would fall to lower rounds because of perceived signability issues. Highschoolers (Grossman) heavily leaning towards college being a prime focus.

Grossman was projected to be a second rounder if he doesn't make it sound like he's on his way to Texas to play college ball. Baseball America had him rated as the 49th best player in this year's draft. So even though the Pirates paid him 5 times over the slot for a sixth round pick, I'd argue they really paid right around slot for what really is a second round pick.

I'm really impressed with this tactic.

Hopefully Scheppers and Alvarez are next......................