Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Goes to Games?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:38 pm 

OK, here's the deal. I've been to one single MLB game in my life. One. It was The Minnesota Twins at the Kansas City Royals, on a blistering hot day in August 2006. I went because (a) I'd never been to an MLB game before, and (b) One of my friends is a die-hard Royals fan. (He has helped me adapt to becoming a fan of a consistently losing team.)

Anyway, since I'm now only three hours or so away, I'm guessing I should try to go see the Pirates play at PNC Park one weekend. I do claim to be a fan, after all. But then questions arise... How much cash am I probably going to end up spending? Is the stadium easy to get to if you've never been to Pittsburgh? How much do I have to worry about parking and traffic? Where should I try buying my tickets? And what section should I try to get ticket in?

Oh yeah, and since I'm new to the area, I have few friends. But I suspect that even if I had a thousand, none would want to ride for three hours to (a) watch a baseball game (b) featuring the Pittsburgh Pirates (c) who are probably going to lose.

Post subject: Re: Who Goes to Games?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:34 pm 

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/pit/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp
These are the ticket prices.

I recommend parking downtown and walking across the Clemente Bridge. Don't settle for the first parking garage you see. You can get in to a garage for about $5 or $6.
The ticket window at the stadium should be fine to get in. I personally think the left field bleachers are a great value. It's practically on the field. One time the person at the window did us a favor and sold us wheelchair accessable seats that were about as close to the field as you can get and they were pretty cheap. That was a great tip that lady gave us.
Traffic is sometimes a problem but if you get there early it shouldn't be too bad.

I do highly recommend going to a game. You made the bad decision of becoming a pirate fan, the one spoil that that comes with is the greatest ballpark in the world.

Let me know if you want some buy one ticket get one free coupons I can get some for you and mail them out, if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:56 am 
 WWW  Profile

The garage at 6th and Ft. Duquesne offers $5 parking and is conveniently located right across the street from the Clemente Bridge. If you travel a block further into downtown on 6th you will also be able to find a garage by making a right onto Penn Ave. that is $5. On a weekend, these two garages tend to fill up quickly due to theater shows though.

If you get into town late, everyone says scalpers will practically be giving away tickets after first pitch. I don't have any personal experience of this though. Otherwise ticket window should suit you fine.

There are several vendors outside of the stadium who sell peanuts and waters. Great opportunity for cheap things to take in with you.

I have seats in the left field bleachers and I feel like these are some wonderful seats.

As far as food goes, the Hall of Fame Club has good food. And for a ballpark restaurant, I was expecting to get little food for a lot of money, but they served me a nice portion of food for a fair price. Bucaroos is located just outside of the Pirates store and they offer smaller portions for very cheap prices. I like to get two hotdogs and nachos there for my dinner some nights, and it only costs $4. Manny's BBQ on the River Walk has great burgers. Quaker Steak and Lube has great wings. I feel like Primanti Bros. is over-rated and not really that great, but I guess since it's a Pittsburgh tradition, you may want to consider that place as well.

Edit: Outside of the ball park there are several options which I'd like to suggest. In the downtown area there is Max & Erma's one block from the Clemente Bridge (the name of the street escapes me at the moment). The Strip District has several places including Primanti Bros., and The Spaghetti Warehouse. Station Square (which would also be another parking option and you could ride the Clipper across the river to the game) has several places including Hard Rock Cafe. There is SoHo across from the park. They tend to have slow service, but good food. There are also a few other places on the North Shore. Two of my favorite places to eat in Pittsburgh are on Carson St. on the South Side. The first is Fat Heads, which, IMO, has some of the largest and best sandwiches. The second place is called South Side Steaks, which is the closest thing that you can get to a genuine Philly Cheese Steak outside of that city.

Last edited by cappscrew138 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:21 pm 

The ballpark is so pretty you'll be glad you went regardless of the outcome of the game. You can buy your ticket at the window or from the scalpers. The cheapest seats are around $10, you can park for $5, and access in and out is fairly easy. Food and drink is of course expensive but optional.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

They also offer a ferry to the game from Station Square. Great for us out-of-town visitors and something you should do at least once. It lands right on the shoreline behind right field. It's something like 5 or 6 bucks per person, though. So if you're with a group it can become pricey really quick.